-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Watching this vid of these old birds brought back childhood memories of Testors glue and paint with many models hanging from my bedroom ceiling smile

[video:youtube]chttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_XyJB-h4cM&feature=related[/video]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm going to have to watch this later. i have to go to work now.

is one of my old favorites in there? the A-6 Intruder?

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nope a bit before its time grin

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Way cool. That F4D (aka "Ford") was a widowmaker. Horrible characteristics. I bet with those slow cat/airspeed trials, the test pilot needed some vice grips to pull the seat cushion out of his ass after it was all over. The Demon was pretty worthless too. Now the Skyhawk was arguably the best, most effective aircraft of the jet age. oh incidentally, no more of that "takes the cut" crap. That WILL get you killed!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Watching this vid of these old birds brought back childhood memories of Testors glue and paint with many models hanging from my bedroom ceiling smile

You too eh? wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brave men all.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The Demon was pretty worthless too.

Jorge think the AF got a better deal when McDonnell merged with Douglas and the combined design team gave a similar air frame a second power plant and morphed it into the F-101.The Voodoo performance envelope way exceeded the Demon as an interceptor as we all know but the F-4 was in the works and I'm sure the Navy was in drool mode at that time with a totally new design concept for Carrier OPS.The 101 finished out its run as the RF version in SEA and was a work horse for high altitude photo recon.

The Demon

[Linked Image]

The Voodoo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sure did't stretch much wire out on landing. Carriers are one of my experiences that words simply can not describe. One absolutly has to be there. Thanks for the post,

1Minute
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Was that a JATO ignition at around 1:28?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nope, burner. Flem, the issue with the Demon and the F4D was they were just not very well suited for carrier ops given their flight characteristics and VERY SLOW spool up times. Also the "Ford" had to be flown with a LOT of nose up attitude which is fine on land and flared landings but on a boat one ostensibly flies "through" the deck to land in order to get the right angle of attack. If you look at the Skyhawk, it's approach is an almost perfect, flat "pancake" when it traps.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The Demon was pretty worthless too.

Jorge think the AF got a better deal when McDonnell merged with Douglas and the combined design team gave a similar air frame a second power plant and morphed it into the F-101.The Voodoo performance envelope way exceeded the Demon as an interceptor as we all know but the F-4 was in the works and I'm sure the Navy was in drool mode at that time with a totally new design concept for Carrier OPS.The 101 finished out its run as the RF version in SEA and was a work horse for high altitude photo recon.

The Voodoo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In the late 1950�s I was a RF-101 Voodoo Medicine Man at Shaw Air Plane Patch, Sumter SC.
The RF had a completely different looking nose cone.
We kept hoping that those twin afterburners would burn up all the damn gnats.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love watching those vids, as a kid I never tired of listening to the Ole man talk about carriers quals, would have loved to been a fly on his shoulder the time he had to dead stick a Corsair,

Post'em when you got them!!

"Just another day in Oz!"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Straight decks, center deck elevators and bridle gear catapults. OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH man that's old stuff.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was never so certain I made the right decision turning down that opportunity as when I watched my first F4D launch. Then when I saw all the rest go the same way I about had a heart attack that I even gave the opportunity serious consideration. Kinda like when the car behind you gets T-boned going through an intersection.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F4D and blimp launches:

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

You too eh? wink

you guys couldn't have been as bad as I was...

My sophomore year in High School, I went to some state Scouting Meet in Raleigh ( dad was stationed at Pope AFB)..

when I got home, walk into the house and the first thing I see is my mom break into tears and start apologizing saying she was sorry...

couldn't figure out why, until I walked into my bed room...model planes all over the floor.. I built tons of 1/72 and quarter inch models...

she was making the bed after doing the wash... snapped a sheet, a 1/4 inch Monogram Mosquito went flying and hit all sorts of other planes, and also hit the shelves on the wall...

Kid ya not.. a 100 model airplanes bit the dust that day...

heck, took me 6 months to replace them all... grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
That is some cool video.

I enjoyed the film of the Skyray, as it is the progenitor of this aircraft which resides in a field not far from my home.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As historic as this aircraft is, it is a shame that it can not be more protected from the ravages of time and elements.

After the Dyna-Soar program was canceled in December 1963 the F5D-1 (708) went to Ames Research Center, installed with a ogee wing for an evaluation for Concorde Supersonic Transport wing study. The F5D-1 (802) stayed on at NASA Flight Research Center contributing to various tests. It became a flight simulator for the M2-F2, and a chase for the lifting bodies until 1970.

The four prototype Skylancers were delivered to NASA, where they contributed to the development of a variety of products, including the Gemini escape system and the space shuttle. Two prototype F5D-1s were obtained by NASA Flight Research Center in 1961. The F5D-1 Skylancer (Bu. No. 142350) had a red and white paint pattern with a NASA identification number of 213 which later became NASA 708.

Support for the warfighters sometimes can lead to completely new and unexpected directions, and in this case the club-wing delta provided useful service for a number of years. Because its wing planform was similar to the Air Force's Dyna-Soar "spaceplane," the NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) at Edwards used an F5D to establish approach glide slopes for dead stick landings and to develop abort procedures.

Future Astronaut Neil Armstrong was one of the NASA research pilots assigned to support duties for the Dyna-Soar program. In addition to working at the Boeing facility in Washington state, Armstrong also tested the Dyna-Soar launch abort profile using an F5D-1, which had a similar wing shape to the Dyna-Soar. The aircraft arrived at the Flight Research Center on June 15, 1961.

After the Dyna-Soar program was cancelled in December 1963, this F5D-1 continued to be used, serving as a flying simulator for the M2-F2 and as a chase plane for lifting-body flights (providing the lifting-body pilot with an extra set of eyes to assist in emergencies and avert potential crashes). Armstrong's F5D-1 left the Flight Research Center (later designated the Dryden Flight Research Center) on May 19, 1970, and was donated to the Neil A. Armstrong Museum in Wapakoneta, Ohio. An ogee wing version has leading edge extensions to achieve the desired planform and inlet ducts relocated approximately five feet forward.

[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,013 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,501
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.