Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Use a Vais brake. Hardy any increase in noise if any at all.

Doubtful.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not talking about marriage, kids, loans, cars, the government, or jobs... I'm talking about rifles. I didn't know you needed to be 30+ and have 20 years of experience to talk about rifles. Sorry, I'll go back to speeding and listening to rap music.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You are arguing a point that the OP didn't ask.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mathman
Use a Vais brake. Hardy any increase in noise if any at all.

Doubtful.

Ever try one? I was doubtful too when my gunsmith told me that before installing it. I was surprised he was right. That's on a .270 though. I'm sure larger calibers could be different.

The Vais has a design like no other brake, and the noise it shot forward instead of just out the side like other brakes.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Mauser Hunter: Wish I knew today, everything that I thought I knew at 18...haha

There is no denying that that a brake will keep jump down, and allow one to watch hits through the scope regardless of cartridge. One reason the 204, and 223 are popular. My 243 jumps off target, where as my 204 does not. It is not an ego thing about who can and who cannot tolerate recoil.

Exactly.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
From a review on brakes.

"The Vias brake
is excellent! Very difficult to make in the home shop. Besides a series
of holes around the brake George Vias bores a series of holes to
intercept the radial holes, thereby bleeding some gas and noise out of
the front of the brake. You lose some braking effectiveness with this
method, not much, but you gain a measurable reduction in muzzle blast and noise."

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/brakevaisx350op.png

More info from Vais himself.

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Faq.aspx

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 07/27/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not true. I put a Vais on a .270, and it helped a lot in recoil, and staying down to see the hit. I was shooting 150gr partitions.

shocked

A 270? wink

What rifle is it on, sir?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is my experience: a Mag-Na-Port was designed to reduce muzzle flip thus offering quick target reacquisition while the muzzle brake should offer reduced perceived recoil.

The first works and the second I don't know; the only rifle I ever shot was a Wildcat called the 366 DGW which is a 416 Rigby necked to 9.3 mm. All up it weighed 11 lbs and with a 286 gr bullet at 3100 fps kicked like a 20 guage shotgun. Deduce from there.

Personally, I use neither.

The way life should be.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
IMO, if you need a brake or port of any type, you need a smaller caliber rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

I agree with Waputi...and with Dawaba.

That said if forced to choose I would go with the Magna Port based on experiences with a 340 Weatherby and a 358STA-equivilent wildcat,and a 375H&H.Muzzle flip is substantially reduced,they were both more manageable,and I simply have not noticed the noise from them to the degree noted with a muzzle brake.

In the end, I will choose the smaller rifle;maybe a step down in bullet weight and caliber,before I went with either one.

OTOH I can see the utlity for those who may require it to attenuate recoil to the absolute minimum level..it is sad but true that,as we age,our recoil tolerances generally diminish...if not physically, but maybe mentally as well.....it isn't that some older shooters can't handle substantial recoil....it is just that they don't want to any more.

Excessive recoil separates the men from the boys....the men go home. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/27/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Not true. I put a Vais on a .270, and it helped a lot in recoil, and staying down to see the hit. I was shooting 150gr partitions.

shocked

A 270? wink

A Rem 700.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Makes no sense. Why not have the power of a bigger gun with a smaller gun recoil? Best of both worlds.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I knew George and there are a lot of his muzzle gizmos around here and they will hurt your hearing with one shot!

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

shocked

A 270? wink

A Rem 700.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That looks good on it, sir.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Makes no sense. Why not have the power of a bigger gun with a smaller gun recoil? Best of both worlds.

Because the added noise and blowback aren't worth it. Shoot a loudner equipped rifle with anyone off to the side(s) and I'll bet you get dirty looks, even if they're wearing hearing protection.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only brake I have is on a 10" contender in 45/70. No apologies offerred.

I shoot my heavy hitters less at a session now than when I was younger.

Tanner your perspective relects your youthful body and I respectfully submit you speak with authority on your situation.

Mauser you speak with an authority reflecting your present situation which closely represents myself and many of the older shooters with more miles traveled.

A man has to understand his own limitations and I would sooner see a recoil reduction device in the field than an older shooter remeniscing on the porch. By the way we older men just plain kill critters with steely eyed confidence and without fanfare. It has been 52 years since I harvested my first game with a rifle. I will do what I have to do to keep doing so.

Last edited by medicman; 07/27/12. Reason: spelling :)

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You're probably right, but I hunt alone, and go to the range at 6am when no one is there. I know what you mean, but you can't make a general statement like that. It worked for me perfectly with no harm to anyone else.

As I mentioned already. I really didn't hear any difference in noise with the Vais, but I always use ear protection.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by medicman
The only brake I have is on a 10" contender in 45/70. No apologies offerred.

I shoot my heavy hitters less at a session now than when I was younger.

Tanner your perspective relects your youthful body and I respectfully submit you speak with authority on your situation.

Mauser you speak with an authority reflecting your present situation which closely represents myself and many of the older shooters with more miles traveled.

A man has to understand his own limitations and I would sooner see a recoil reduction device in the field than an older shooter remeniscing on the porch. By the way we older men just plain kill critters with steely eyed confidence and without fanfare. It has been 52 years since I harvested my first game with a rifle. I will do what I have to do to keep doing so.

Nail on the head. I will do anything to keep hunting. As i'm sure you and others will too. I'll never retire. I'll just fall over dead on a hunt. smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
To me, the only drawback of a brake is the noise. Therefore I wouldn't want one in a big game hunting situation where things could happen too fast to put in plugs.

If I were building a dedicated varminter such as a prairie dog gun, it would be no big deal to have a brake, and you could watch all your hits through the scope. Same goes with a longrange target gun. Why not brake it? You are already wearing hearing protection, and it would allow you to fire your mag all day long.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
To me, the only drawback of a brake is the noise. Therefore I wouldn't want one in a big game hunting situation where things could happen too fast to put in plugs.

If I were building a dedicated varminter such as a prairie dog gun, it would be no big deal to have a brake, and you could watch all your hits through the scope. Same goes with a longrange target gun. Why not brake it? You are already wearing hearing protection, and it would allow you to fire your mag all day long.

My next door neighbor put a brake on his 10-lb bull-barreled .22-250, just so he could watch the sod poodles vaporize in his scope!

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.