Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DWG7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I just bought a used Savage 11 in 243. The price was good and I thought a camo paint on the stock might be fun. I have pulled barrel and bolt it has the black plastic stock Any insight on doing this Thanx DWG

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Krylon Fusion is your friend.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer Rustoleum to Krylon.

Paint, add camo and then matte clear.

More light coats are better than fewer heavy coats.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Use a good cleaner/degreaser on it before you paint!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have done a few composite stocks. As ironeagle has said Krylon Fusion is your friend.... specifically designed for plastics.

Used Break-Free powder blaster from Wal-mart to clean and degrease then follow nsaqams' suggestion. If I knew how to post pics, I would. It's fun and addicting to see what kind of camo you are capable of....Good luck.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I painted my first stock un-successfully due to inadequate prep. I used the supposed plastic-bonding paints but the finish just could not hold on despite being scuffed and completely solvent degreased.

I nailed it on round two by going to the local professional auto paint store and asking about products to prep plastic bumpers and trim.

3M SCUFF-IT abrasive paste on a wet scuff pad to clean and texture surface, even in the small detail areas with a tooth brush.

Bulldog Adhesion Promoter, comes in an aerosal spray can. Spray clean prepped surface before applying paint.

On that stock I used Coyote Brown Aluma-Hyde II by Brownells. It is a slow single stage air cure in a spray can but it is way harder and solvent resistant than anything you can buy at the home improvement or auto parts store.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As far as technique it all depends on what you are going for. I hang my stock by the slings using semi stout wire. That way I can twist the stock into any position and i will stay put. Don't get into a rush. Krylon dries fast enough and I use a fan on low to help. You can do a stock in not much time at all if you want.

The best thing as far as looks is to keep a proper and consistent distance from the stock. Too close and it will run - and this will happen fast. Guessing I tried to stay perhaps 16 inches away from the surface. One tip- black primer can be used as a paint color as it is nice and

All this talk has me hankering to try the splatter technique...or sponge technique....or webbing spray. Should I buy more rifles so I can paint them - what is the consensus? :-)

Practice a little on cardboard first by changing the order of the colors you plan to use. See which one floats your boat best.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
scuff it with sandpaper, makes a HUGE difference in how well the paint sticks.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

or so does grey primer...use of both helps immensely more..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of you fellas put Matte Alumi-Hyde II over Krylon? Thinking it might toughen the finish a bit. Might pull it too, I'd imagine...

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Does the Krylon clear really make the finish more durable?

NRA Benefactor member
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DWG7
I just bought a used Savage 11 in 243. The price was good and I thought a camo paint on the stock might be fun. I have pulled barrel and bolt it has the black plastic stock Any insight on doing this Thanx DWG

It is fun.

Not exactly camo, but here is something I did a while back. Let your imagination be your guide. You can always sand it down and do over if you don't like your first results.

I call it my "rattlecan Remington 700 KS".

Lightly sanded stock.
Three coats of camo sand color about 20 to 30 minutes between coats.

One application each of black and gold webbing spray about 20 minutes apart.
+/- 3 hours.

Two coats of clear matte spray to seal the webbing spray next day.
total time, +/- 4 hours.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/30/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Been having fun painting stocks... A couple notes but defer to those with more experience.

Rough is good but I took a plastique stock too far and tore up the surface something fierce using a rasp. Took lots of paint layers, sanding, and extra effort to get it back to a decent.

A couple stocks I've used Rustoleum multi-color textured outdoor paint on then covered with another color turned out dang nice, no salt shaker needed...

Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
Does the Krylon clear really make the finish more durable?

I think there are more than one kind of Krylon clear. The Krylon Fusion clear coat "UV protectant' is real thin... The regular Krylon Crystal Clear is better. Rustoleum's Painter's Touch Ultra-Cover matte clear is holding up very well. Clear coat is definitely a plus IME.

Wondering if anyone knows of a rattle-can clear coat that is durable AND chemical resistant?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
From splatter:

[Linked Image]

to webbing:

[Linked Image]

...it's all fun!
DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by geedubya

It is fun.

Not exactly camo, but here is something I did a while back. Let your imagination be your guide. You can always sand it down and do over if you don't like your first results.

Lightly sanded stock.

+/- 3 hours.

total time, +/- 4 hours.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

GDub...

as always I LOVE your stuff and pics..that is exactly what I had in mind for a stock I currently have that needs an upgrade in the looks dept...around here I have to evidently order rattle can webbing...NO ONE carries it.. not even the new Home Depot Store or Walmart, or even Michael's Craft Store....

the joys of living in Nowhere Oregon...

hey also can you PM me your phone number....I never write stuff down anymore... time we touched base again, its been a while...

cheers
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used pretty much the same technique as GWB with Krylon Fusion.

First attempt, my rifle, turned out ok but not great. I've found that individual cans of webbing spray differently. Some will intermittently spray some blobs and others more consistently spray a fine webbing.

[Linked Image]

A few that I did for a friend

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by geedubya

It is fun.

Lightly sanded stock.

+/- 3 hours.

total time, +/- 4 hours.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best

GWB

GDub...

as always I LOVE your stuff and pics..that is exactly what I had in mind for a stock I currently have that needs an upgrade in the looks dept...around here I have to evidently order rattle can webbing...NO ONE carries it.. not even the new Home Depot Store or Walmart, or even Michael's Craft Store....

the joys of living in Nowhere Oregon...

hey also can you PM me your phone number....I never write stuff down anymore... time we touched base again, its been a while...

cheers
seafire

I've found Jo-Ann fabrics to be the best place to order Krylon Webbing spray online.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Seafire

or so does grey primer...use of both helps immensely more..

+1, and scrub with acetone before you apply primer. As someone also said, Aluma Hyde from Brownells is a clear coat finisher and is really tough.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Clean with alchohol before painting. Acetone does the same thing but not better and it is flamable like crazy. Clear matte, at least three coats, will make a big difference. Fusion based paint for the plastic, primer on the metal. Texture paint if you want some grip(it takes this stuff a good while to dry-I usually give it a solid hour)

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So have any of you painted a beat up wooden stock? Any differences in prep?

I have a walnut stock I'm trying to decide whether to refinish or paint. I'd prefer a nice wood finish, but the stock "has issues"; it was the victim of a previous owner's do-it-yourself bedding job, the inletting for the bottom metal was poorly done, etc. It would probably be easier to get the stock in good shape for painting than for refinishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 2ndwind, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,587
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.