Hop To
#6703823 07/21/12
S
snuzem Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I need a sling for my Rock River Arms ATH. It will be used for carrying the rifle to and from my hunting areas and not used for shooting as I will have rests at the stands. Which sling would y'all recommend and what hardware is needed to attach it to the rifle?(there is no sling stud on the fore end and just a hole in the butt stock for sling attachment)
Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I put my vtacs in the closet after trying the Armageddon Gear carbine sling.

http://www.armageddongear.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=75

RLTW
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Not an expert-by any stretch but IMO every shooter is different.Some folks like a one point...some folks like a three point. Unfortunately finding the right sling can be expensive and a pain in the Ar$e. However, if you have buddies who have AR's and will let you try out their sling - Id do that before I rush off and buy one..... . Also do you have a rail system on the weapon?If so you can put a sling attachment on the front.If there is no rail system and no stud, looks like you may be packing a one point. Hope this helps....

"No better friend, No worse enemy"
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since the OP just needs to carry his gun to and from his stand where he will have rest's available, all I see he nees is a simple carry strap. I like Uncle Mikes Mountain slings as they stay on the shoulder.

For a tactical type sling I like VCAS slings.

Last edited by TWR; 07/22/12.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by greentimber
I put my vtacs in the closet after trying the Armageddon Gear carbine sling.

http://www.armageddongear.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=75

I use a single point sling...the OP wanted one for hunting...Viking Tactical offers several varieties.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It's hard to beat a good old Uncle Mike's 1" nylon sling without spending a lot of $$.

That being said, I've had good luck with Magpul products and just picked up two MS3 slings. Hopefully they're as useful and well-thought-out as the rest of their lineup but only time will tell...

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There MS3 Slings are top-notch, but I must say that they work best on an AR or M4 with a telescoping butt-stock, or an AR/M4 with a MAGPUL designed stock and their RSA( Rail Sling Attachment). I had a Fixed stock M-16 A4 my first time "downrange", I tried the MS3 experiment and I had a rough time getting it to work properly. The second time I had an M4 and it worked just fine and like I always say about choice of gear "What works for me may not work for you and vice versa"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Were you using a single point sling attachment for the rear? It's not meant to be used with the stock's sling swivel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For just carrying it, there are thousands of good slings for cheap. I'm not sure I'd want to limit myself like that. I'd get a good sling that works for both carrying and shooting. For that just in case scenario.

For that, I like both the MS3 and the VCAS. As mentioned, the MS3 works best when used with what it was intended for. The ASAP rear sling attachment plate and a front attachment point close to the receiver.

The VCAS shines in a number of scenarios. I'd see if someone you know will let ya try it first though. All slings are not for everyone.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How do ya'll deal with the VCAS type slings while wearing a pack?

I've gone back to Mountain slings on my hunting guns simply due to my pack limits movement for the VCAS sling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a video of the sling being demonstrated. I know it's not a pack he's wearing, but if you imagine where your pack sits on your shoulders, you can kind of see where it may or may not work for you.

My pack sits about as high (or less) than his, so it works for me. But I've seen some packs, especially those designed for long term packing, that would get in the way.

VCAS Demonstrated

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The second time I used the one point attachment- the first time I was an fn boot and didnt know any better. Of course I assume your asking me this question...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 16penny, 338rcm, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,538
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.