Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've spent my last 4 hunts in Namibia, but now would like to add another Nyala to my collection.

Could you guys recommend a top notch outfitter for trophy Nyala and post pics of any you have taken?

I took mine in Kwa Zulu Natal way back in 1995; is this still the best place to hunt them?

Regards,

Blair.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blair

There's a very large place in KZN that has more nyala than it has impala and it has an awful lot of impala..... and trophy standards are excellent.

I don't advertise here and am retired from the field so won't post their details but if you email me at numzaanzoho.com I'll be happy to put you onto them.

You might have to wait a day or three for a reply because I'm off to the UK for my Father's funeral tomorrow...... hope you understand. smile

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Steve,

Thanks for the reply mate.

I do entirely understand and am sorry to hear about you father; I lost my mother earlier this year.

Kind regards,

Blair.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks mate..... I guess death and taxes are unavoidable huh!

I've replied to your email and let me know if you don't receive it...... my server seems to be a tad dodgy just now.

Last edited by Shakari; 07/13/12.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
If anyone would like to contact me directly without posting up my email address is:

blaircalvinoptusnet.com.au

If anyone has some pics please post them up!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve, I too am very sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I still have both of my parents, but they are gettin along in years. I am thankful for the time I am allowed with them.
Blair, I am booked for my very first plains game hunt in Botswana next month, and I'm not sure when I will get to go after Nyala (they're not on my list) but I do want to hunt them one day. I'd appreciate a heads up on a great place myself.
I think they may be the most beautiful species of hoofed animal that I have ever seen.

My email is jeffpg45yahoo.com

Thanks,
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Jeff,

Good luck on your hunt in Botswana. I think you'll like it and the trophy quality is supposed to be really outstanding.

Nyala are a beautiful spiral horn, I shot my first one in the Kwazulu Natal midlands back in '95.......the country side is dramatic and all in all it makes for a great experience.

Of all the trophies in my home, the one most remarked upon by non hunters is the nyala..........

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was corresponding with a PH outfit in Botswana and no Nyala there. One guy, over on AR, has a nice package hunt in Botswana, I'm even considering, but have everything, about, he has. But go check Accuratereloading.com, and click on forums, then discounted hunts from outfitters or some such. It's there, and price is right. There's a post today on here, from a guy who just got back from a hunt, but in Zim, and he , I believe, got a nice Nyala. Also, if you contact Pieter Kriel, who posts here too, he is an RSA PH, and may have Nyala available on some of his places. Another young guy, who has gotten a couple, I think , is Darrel Bailey, and I can have him contact you. I think his e-mail is scubascoutsmweb.co.za he just got back from a hunt up in the Kwa-zulu area..

Ghost
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Blair:

I also had the bug for nyala and I highly recommend Garry Kelly Safaris. My hunt was in November of 2011 and nyala was the primary focus. I was the last hunter of the season and there were two left on quota. I really think that is best way to go if you are making a dedicated nyala hunt. Adds to the trophy fees but I killed a great nyala and kept hunting until we found an awsome nyala!

The hunt takes place in Mkuze Game Reserve in KZN. The whole reserve is 40 thousand acers and you hunt on 18 thousand. The deviding line is a steep dry creek bed but the game easily move back and forth. It is fenced since there are rhino all over the place and goverment game scouts are required. The camp was a great tent camp with hot water and great food. I hunted with Cullen and Sean Kelly and was very impressed with both of them as PH's. I would hunt with either of them again. There are so many nyala that we passed on great nyala all the time. The stalking is great. We got within bow range several times. Shots were 50 to 150 yrds. I did kill a kudu off a koppie over 200 yrds so there could be some longer shots. I was not happy with my nyala shooting since it took 4 shots each! Everything else was a one shot kill. Nyala fever eek

November was an interesting time to hunt. The rains started a few weeks before so there was lots of green short grass and leaves. This made the bush thicker but I got to see the new born animals. The other down side was that it was over 40C 3 out of the six hunting days.

Shot this one around 150 yards on the first morning (was cool enough for the sweater - that didn't last!).

[Linked Image]

Shot this one on the last day, my birthday! It was over 40C and he ran to the first clump of bush and stopped. 50 yard shot. Gotta love fever trees.

[Linked Image]

Pulled out of the salt for one last look before going home.

[Linked Image]

This was my only nyala hunt so I cannot say if KZN is better than anywhere else.

PM me if you have questions.

Scott

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ghost
I was corresponding with a PH outfit in Botswana and no Nyala there. One guy, over on AR, has a nice package hunt in Botswana, I'm even considering, but have everything, about, he has. But go check Accuratereloading.com, and click on forums, then discounted hunts from outfitters or some such. It's there, and price is right. There's a post today on here, from a guy who just got back from a hunt, but in Zim, and he , I believe, got a nice Nyala. Also, if you contact Pieter Kriel, who posts here too, he is an RSA PH, and may have Nyala available on some of his places. Another young guy, who has gotten a couple, I think , is Darrel Bailey, and I can have him contact you. I think his e-mail is [email protected] he just got back from a hunt up in the Kwa-zulu area..

Ghost,

Thanks for the information, I'll try Darrel's email.......

Cheers,

Blair.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Scott,

I had not thought of Gary Kelly, but your trophies speak for themselves!! In fact that second Nyala you took is a beauty.............biggest I've seen, in fact.

I know a few blokes who have hunted with them and they all speak highly of the operation.

Thanks for the pics and the background......my first nyala took two shots from a 358 STA.......so I know how you feel blush

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary Kelly and the Mkuze come highly recommended. Several 30" and larger bulls have been taken consistently over the years.

JJHack has a friend that has property in KZN. Lodging is basic, but the hunting is reported to be very good for Nyala. In fact, if I'm not mistaken Jim took his large Nyala (31") on that property?

I hunted with Crusader Safari's last year in the Umkomaas of KwaZulu Natal. Fair chase, no high fence, and comprises 150,000 acres. Excellent Nyala and bushbuck.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Contact Spiral Horn Safaris and talk to Louis. You wont be dissappointed.

http://www.spiralhorn.co.za/

Gary O

Attached Images
Nyala.JPG (33.73 KB, 172 downloads)

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Beautiful nyala Fost.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
That nyala is a beauty!

Thanks for the info, Fost.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Gary O
Contact Spiral Horn Safaris and talk to Louis. You wont be dissappointed.

http://www.spiralhorn.co.za/

Gary O

Once again, thanks for the advice, Gary.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I represent an outfitter that does free-range hunts on a huge concession in Natal. We take some incredible nyala there. I just shot this monster there 2 weeks ago. It was 29 1/2" with 9" bases.

[Linked Image]

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fantastic bull Greg. I'm assuming that was with Chris and Andrew in the Umkomaas?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yikes! that is a HOG Greg! Congrats!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It was shot with Andrew. I was just there filming for my new show, A Rifleman's Journal. That's the same camp from which I shot my 18 1/4" bushbuck 2 years ago and my son shot his 29 1/2" nyala. We've shot several other nyala over 29" this season. This is my son's nyala. [Linked Image]

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.