Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great. Looking forward to this trip. Need to smell the old ocean again.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, it is August, so what I need is the for sure dates, when everybody is showing up and exactly where it is and how to get there. I will be driving a 4 wheel drive Tacoma and have a GPS, so Lat and Lon would be helpful and best way to get there from Arkansas. I will most likely spend one night on the way down in Mathis, Tx, with my cousin. I can bring a propane fish cooker that has a fairly large stainless steel pot that can be used to boil things or cook fish, if I need to bring it. Let me know of anything special that I need to bring and I will try to get it. I have a tent and some tarps, sleeping bag and mattress, ice chest. Anything else besides drinks and food? What kind of Non resident fishing license? I have a couple of bass sized fishing poles. Will these work for anything there? I need to start a list. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
23-26th

The National Seashore is located southeast of the city of Corpus Christi, Texas. Visitors to the area should head east through the city on Highway 358. After crossing the JFK Causeway onto Padre Island, Highway 358 changes to Park Road 22. Continue about 10 miles south on Park Road 22. The physical address for Malaquite Visitor Center is 20420 Park Road 22, Corpus Christi, TX 78418.

The National Seashore is on North Padre Island. South Padre Island is approximately another three hours south via Highway 77. For information on South Padre Island, call 1.800.343.2368 or visit their website at www.sopadre.com.

salwater non resident, and the fish cooker sounds like a good idea, your bass rods will work for specks and reds.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
OK, it is August, so what I need is the for sure dates, when everybody is showing up and exactly where it is and how to get there. I will be driving a 4 wheel drive Tacoma and have a GPS, so Lat and Lon would be helpful and best way to get there from Arkansas. I will most likely spend one night on the way down in Mathis, Tx, with my cousin. I can bring a propane fish cooker that has a fairly large stainless steel pot that can be used to boil things or cook fish, if I need to bring it. Let me know of anything special that I need to bring and I will try to get it. I have a tent and some tarps, sleeping bag and mattress, ice chest. Anything else besides drinks and food? What kind of Non resident fishing license? I have a couple of bass sized fishing poles. Will these work for anything there? I need to start a list. miles

Hey Miles, great to hear you will make it. It was my first trip last year and PINS is pretty easy to find.

I will likely drive down from Houston the morning of the 23rd, probably get there early afternoon.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was my first trip last year and PINS is pretty easy to find.

10-4, but it is a big island and you folks may be hard to find. I hate looking for people when they are hiding in plain sight. grin miles

Last edited by milespatton; 08/01/12. Reason: forgot name

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you get on the island, there is only one road going south, you will come to a guard shack, where you pay some money for a permit to go on the beach. Keep going down that road a few hundred yards and on your left is the park HDQ building. Big parking lot, this is where most waited last year for Roger to come pick em up. They went as a group south 40 miles on the beach. Not many people out that far so, can't miss the ones who will already be there.
I drive a brown colored Jeep, Partick has a red Ford F150, Roger a white Chevy diesel, Mako 25 a white chevy truck. LtPat a Taco of some sort and some color.
I'm leaving DFW early in the morning of the 23rd, at this time, so 500 miles later I will be at the parking lot. With a full tank of gas, all of the ice I can carry, bag of something for the grill ( wood),
"spray" on sun block and all of my camping stuff.
I was just like you last year, thinking I was going to get lost. Did get lost in CC, but a nice sales person in HEB set me in the correct direction to the beach. Get your gas, ice etc. in town, not much on the island, I believe one CStore. So just do the fill up in CC.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MP, shade is important too, so if you have one of the pop up shade deals, that would be nice. Your going to need a chair if you want to sit down, so bring one of those too.

Last edited by Wtxj; 08/01/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm bringing my popup shelter as well. Like last year I'll try to bring 2-3 big coolers with extra ice.

I should also mention that previously some folks in or coming through Houston were talking about meeting & driving down together, so by all means yell at me if you'd like to convoy up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your going to need a chair if you want to sit down, so bring on of those too.

I am in the market for a good chair. I am tall and big so I would like to get one that has some height to it. I have trouble getting up when using those chairs in a bag. miles

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't like the chairs in a bag either so I don't bring that kind.
You have plenty of time to look for one.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'm bringing my popup shelter as well. Like last year I'll try to bring 2-3 big coolers with extra ice.

I should also mention that previously some folks in or coming through Houston were talking about meeting & driving down together, so by all means yell at me if you'd like to convoy up.

Glad to hear that on the pop up, so we will have at least 2 plus Alberts tied up tarp.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
I am in the market for a good chair. I am tall and big so I would like to get one that has some height to it. I have trouble getting up when using those chairs in a bag. miles

Miles,
A couple of months ago my wife and I got some folding chairs at REI. They look low, but were surprisingly comfortable to sit in. REI chair
They are not the run of the mill chairs, both on construction and price, but it may be worth trying them.

tex n cal - we (wife and kids) MIGHT be driving in from Houston on Thursday too, if I manage to switch my call night for that Thursday. Would be nice to convoy down there.

Roger, got my large talcum powder container and plenty of Desitin - for the kids not us grownups wink . What is the official head count now? How young will be the youngest?
My wife concern remains to make guys uncomfortable by her female presence.

Last edited by Sponxx; 08/01/12. Reason: Link
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sponxx
My wife concern remains to make guys uncomfortable by her female presence.

oh Ingwe's not coming, so no worries, no men in thongs...

grin

The crew last year was a fine bunch of gentlemen, and I am expecting the same this year. I can only speak for myself, but your family is welcome. For the kiddos, I'd say normal water safety applies, and they(you) should watch out for any Man O'War on the beach.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sponxx, I'm not Roger or the speaker on this trip. You want to go and fish in the surf, I can tell. Good way to get away from the daily load of work and sickness. If your wife wants to go with the kids, bring her. The beach is long, if she wants to set up a little ways away from us, that's not going to hurt any feelings.
Go read the Hat thread put up by birdwatcher, shows pics of the group fishin on the beach, we are a nice group. If your wife is not happy all you have to do is pack em up and go back to the house. It's kind of a tough trip as to the wind and sun. If she can handle that I think all will be OK. Bathroom, we walk up and over the dunes behind us. That will be the hardest part for her unless you have some kind of tent potty for her. Most of us will drink beer/whiskey but none got drunk. Just a way to keep the insides wet. laugh We drink lots of water also.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
there will be a couple other kids, one of my friends will probably bring his 6 and 10 yr old, I'll have my youngest 15 along. i'll ask a female nurse friend of mine that likes to fish and has her own 4x4, to come if shes not working.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Licensed or Unlicensed ATVs, UTV�s, dune buggies, sand rails, golf carts, amphibious vehicles; and/or any other unlicensed, non-highway vehicles, are prohibited from being operated within the park.
(v)

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The following speed limits are established for the roads or routes indicated:

Park Road 22: 45 mph

Campground roads: 5 mph

Bird Island Basin Boat Ramp road: 25 mph

North Beach and South Beach from mile marker 0 to mile marker 5: 15mph

South Beach from mile marker 5 to Mansfield Channel: 25mph from July 6 to April 14.

South Beach from mile marker 5 to Mansfield Channel: 15mph from April 15 through

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Firearms

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. Note that firearms, even legally possessed ones, are prohibited in all Federal buildings.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That will be the hardest part for her unless you have some kind of tent potty for her.

I have a chair/commode that the VA sent for my Dad before he passed away, that I am bringing. It has a bucket that holds about a gallon that comes with it. A tarp around it and everybody would be cool. miles

Page 21 of 30 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (160user, 22kHornet, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,187
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.