Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
http://www.brownwoodnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9180:authorities-release-information-regarding-deadly-peach-house-rv-park-shooting-video&catid=35:news&Itemid=58

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Brown County Sheriff�s Department and Early Police Department held a joint press conference Monday to formally discuss Sunday�s Peach House RV Park shooting which left three people and two dogs dead.

According to Sheriff Bobby Grubbs, the gunman was shot by an armed citizen and responding Early Police Sgt. Steven Means who was being fired upon by the gunman Charles Conner of Early. Grubbs stated that the gunman and the victims had a verbal confrontation about the dogs, and that Conner shot the male victim, then the dogs, and turned the gun on the male victim�s common law wife with a .9mm handgun.

Other residents of the RV park were in their homes as the incident occurred, stated Grubbs. Two adult male residents were reported to have heard the gunshots and saw the victims� bodies, one of the male residents was the initial reporting party.

Conner was reported to have gone into his RV which was approximately 75-100 yards away and retrieved a 30-30 rifle which he used to shoot at the responding officer and another resident, according to Grubbs. He was also armed with two pistols during this time, said Grubbs.

Another armed resident heard the shots and retrieved his .357 Magnum handgun, and was able to shoot Conner in the leg, and was then fired upon by Conner as Officer Means pulled into the park, according to law enforcement officials. Means saw that Conner was armed and was fired upon as he got out of his vehicle, Grubbs said. Means was able to take cover behind his vehicle and returned fire with his assault rifle which ultimately ended the situation according to Grubbs. As Means and the armed resident returned fire, Conner collapsed dead.

According to Grubbs, the victims were living together at the RV park temporarily, working for the owner of the park in his peach orchard. They are noted to be a white 58-year-old male and a white 53-year-old female. They had lived in the park approximately two months with their two dogs, a small poodle mix and a medium sized border collie mix. Both are residents are from out of state. Their identities are expected to be released as soon as their next of kin are notified according to Grubbs.

Grubbs explained that Conner is a 58-year-old white male who has resided at the park for approximately 10 months and it is believed that he has no previous criminal history.

The resident who assisted police is described as a temporary resident of the park and is also a white male, 66 years of age. His identity is being withheld.

Sheriff Grubbs commended the assisting resident for his actions. Law enforcement has determined that the resident acted valiantly and perhaps saved the lives of Sgt. Means and responding deputies, Grubbs said.

�His actions may have also saved the lives of other citizens who could have innocently walked into the situation. Under fire, the resident shooter returned fire at precisely the right moment. One of the rounds struck Conner in the thigh and staggered Conner as he turned fire on Sgt. Means,� said Grubbs. �This staggered Conner from having an effective aim as Conner fired upon Sgt. Means. This also enabled Sgt. Means to accurately return fire on Conner.�

Early Police Chief David Mercer stated that autopsies are being performed on all three of the deceased in Travis County. Texas Rangers are leading the investigation and more in-depth questions are left for them to answer.

Grubbs and Mercer stated that both Sgt. Means and the assisting resident�s actions are being investigated and will be brought before the Brown County Grand Jury; however, they did not believe any criminal charges would be filed.

�It appears that law enforcement and the citizens of Brown County owe a debt of gratitude toward this man for his courage to act,� explained Grubbs. �It must also be noted that Sgt. Means, of the Early Police Department, responded and acted valiantly, driving into the scene and having the composure and focus to respond under fire, to return fire on Conner. As he was trained, he acted with great courage and is to be commended by law enforcement and the community he serves. His courage is an example of what law enforcement may face at any moment�s notice.�

Sheriff Grubbs also noted that some may take this incident as an opportunity to promote gun control; however he felt it is an example of importance of the right to bear arms.

�Had this citizen not had a gun, this could have been a whole lot worse,� said Grubbs.

See video of the full press conference below. Pictured at top are Mercer and Grubbs at the press conference. CLICK HERE for the original story from Sunday.

If feel the need to read more, google brownwood newspaper.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Thanks

I spend a lot of time in this area. The RV park is right on HWY 377, kind of run down park. Really sorry to read about this in this small farming/hunting area. Glad to read that the citizen helped where he could.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
4 165 yd pistol shots good. good on him.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the post; great job by the citizen.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
That was some good shooting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I got the words right, I think he actually got 5 off..

Originally Posted by coltchris
Thanks for the post; great job by the citizen.
Indeed!! smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So - Long barreled .44 mag?

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GREAT story! And good shooting by an alert citizen.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
5"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bruinruin

Three cheers for a Texan.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That was some good shooting.

Indeed! Indeed!

I doubt I could have done that at that yardage.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
its doable, my dad use to knock over the rams at 500 meters shooting silhouettes with a colt python using open sites.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The citizen did an excellent job,indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Good for him and great shooting. I'm acquainted with Officer Means. He is a really fine young man. Need to get over there and shake their hands!

NRA Benefactor
Lifetime-Texas State Rifle Assoc.
Lifetime-American Motorcycle Assoc.
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Assoc.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
day-um

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
its doable, my dad use to knock over the rams at 500 meters shooting silhouettes with a colt python using open sites.

No doubt. I said I doubt I could have done it.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by derby_dude

No doubt. I said I doubt I could have done it.

I know I could not do it.
Chalk one up for the good guy he was lucky he was not in Communist Mexifornia they would have made him the example and probably tried to give him a life sentence for doing what Every Red Blooded American Citizen should be ready to do in a case like that.
This man is what I call a true Patriot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 21, 17CalFan, 1234, 19rabbit52, 58 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,464
Posts18,508,289
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.