Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The boss system has no effect on velosity, but the fact that some boss equiped rifle have 2" less barrel length to keep the overall length the same, that might have a slight effect on velosity, possibly 100fps. The increase in accuracy is well worth the loss in thos instances.

HR IC

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
how do you get the screw out to put the new spring in,can anyone help?????

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an A-Bolt in 30-06 in it will shoot 165grn gamekings into three shot groups of 3/4" consistently. I like it a lot and have never had a bit of mechanical trouble with it.

But, at a hunting camp this past fall I met a guide who works in Alaska quite a bit. He told me he's seen more actions freeze up on Brownings than any other rife, so it sounds like your experience isn't too unusual David.

And isn't anyone going to say they wouldn't own a gun made in Japan?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would rather fight a drunken Sailor with a broken beer bottle than to pick up a browning for any reason. I detest them with every fiber of my body.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
lol.....i love mine,and its a tack driver.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a win Mod 70 in 300 WM when the BOSS first came out. That gun was the tack drivingest gun I have ever shot to this day-as well as some of my friends-we all still talk about the shots we'd had with that rifle. But, one day my friend and I were out and about when we ran into a stray songdog. I had a small window of opportunity and hurriedly chambered a round to take the coyote out. Well, to this day my hearing was damaged beyond repair from that incident as I didnt have a chance to put in the the ol ear plugs -traded the rifle in on a standard M70 classic sporter in 338WM. I will NEVER have a gun with the BOSS again!!! Plus if I did nobody would hunt with me either. They are obnoxiously loud and I cringe (or leave) every time I see one at the range. Oh, the system works extremely well for both recoil reduction and dial-in. But its at a price I'm not willing to pay - physically. Terrible idea. I can still feel the pain in my ear from the extremely sharp CRACK of that thing. Swear if you shot that dang thing in the ELK woods and missed-you and everyone else might as well go home. If they don't tar and feather you first

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I own both and recommend both! My A-Bolt and Tikka are honest 1/2" MOA rifles with handloads; I like the balance and feel of both and I like and prefer detachable magazines. Unlike most, I don't mind the plastic Tikka magazine. The Tikka trigger is fantastic and the Browning is going to need professional help...not just a spring...to be anything like the Tikka.

For the record, I also own Remchesters and like them for what they are and recommend them also! :^)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice shooting and a handsome "butterball" Forkhorn. I live in the U.P. of Michigan and that picture is very typical of our young bucks.
I also agree with your opinion. I had a Tikka WH in .243 that frequently shot "one holers", and have a Browning SS Stalker in .280 that is just as sweet.
I like the finish, and solid feel of the Browning better for less than 150$ more.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a good load worked up for my 338 RUM abolt. 225gr Accubond with retumbo for 3140fps. 3 shot groups consistently in the 7/8-1" range. I haven't seen a browning yet that won't shoot well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Josh at one time there was a recall on the stainless 338 RUM got any idea what that was all about. All of my browning shoot like a house on fire as long as I do my part. Here is a group from my .338 A-bolt at a hundred yards. 3 shots 215 gr game kings. Sorry about the pic quality.............blake

[Linked Image]

People sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My microhunter is right slick, accurate, and handy in the thick stuff.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Have the Browning in 7-08. Hav the Tikka in sporter weight .22-250. I like them both.....Essex

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DJTex, You mentioned that one of your Brownings is in .223 caliber. What BOSS setting did you finally settle on?
I have had one for several years and the company didn't provide a "sweet spot" setting for it. It took I don't know how many rounds before I finally settled on a setting of 1.55.
Now when I want to try a different bullet or powder I work up my loads without adjusting the BOSS i.e. the same way as I work up loads in all my non-BOSS equipped guns,that is, by using different powder charges, different bullets, etc.
IMO the BOSS system is good for the person who shoots only factory ammo. This person is likely to set up the system then continue to use the same ammunition all the time. Used in this way the system probably works well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wouldnt buy either personally. Hate the detachable plastic clip on the Tikka. Never have liked A Bolts either. I'd go Kimber, or win M70 featherweight if I was looking for a light weight gun. Maybe a Sako finnlight too. And I'd go with 30-06. Having shot everything else in std & mag cartridges the 06 just makes sense. Lotsa cheap ammo. Fun to load too. But, I like anything 30 cal to be a bit heavier than the light weights. My lightweight is 7mm08 and the recoil is light -which is what I want in a light weight and what youre not likely to get in anything above 7mm-08. 243-7mm-08 is ideal for lightweights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry not to have replied sooner, I have been out of town for two weeks and just saw your question.

You are on the money in my view regarding the convenience for one using factory ammo of the BOSS - plus on a 223 it's not much cheaper to reload anyway.

My factory loads are usually Blackhills 40 g Ballistic Tips or 52 Grain match hollow points, and my gun shoots the 52 grain hp's best at 6.5 and the 40 grainers at 3.8. It will also shoot Ultramax 55 grain soft points in dime size groups set on 6.5, which is convenient if I want a soft point for a kid to use on a whitetail. On my gun, point of impact changes very little at 100 yards with these loads.

In a caliber like 223, it is nice to be able to make factory ammo shoot like reloads. I just record settings for my Brownings' BOSS systems in my Ammo & Ballistics II manual beside the appropriate load, and I can change it in a minute any time I want. It takes a little time and effort to dial it in, but this process is fun to me, and once done it is easy to switch ammo if needed.

Just don't forget your range muffs!!!!

DJ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,327
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.