Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'd love to hear more hands-on reviews from the field. I'm seriously considering buying a set, despite the shortcomings (button on wrong side, minimum 33 yards). Specifically, how do the optics stack up against the other alphas? I'd have to sell my swarovisions to fund the el range...and boy, do I love the swarovisions. Awesome, spectacular glass.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair. I still have my Swarovisions (both 10x42's) so I've been able to do some rudimentary comparisons glass wise. I like the glass better in the EL Ranging binocs. Colors are more vivid and they seem "brighter", for lack of a better term , than my EL Swarovisions. The only thing I would rate better on the Swarovisions is the edge to edge sharpness.

This being the campfire optics let me state that the above is just my opinion after playing with both sets for about a month now. I'm no optics expert and I realize the above is a rather pedestrian explanation.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I'm glad to hear that because I just ordered some 10x42s from eurooptics. I'll keep both around for a week or 3 to see if I can see any real world differences in the glass.

Sorry Doug - I feel like I'm cheating on my wife, but you didn't have them in stock. Heck, there was even a waiting list. My instant gratification ADHD got the better of me. Please forgive me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My understanding is that the EL Range binoculars are not HD/Swarovision.

Shrapnel if memory serves has had a set for a few months. Perhaps he'll see this thread and chime in.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd like to get my hands on a pair, but $3k is way out of my reach.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No, I don't think they are. I believe they use the glass that the venerable ELs use. Not HD though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

I'm with you on that. I'd also like to know how big the aiming circle is on the EL Range. Is it the same as the Swaro RF? If so, I found it much to big for my liking, especially ranging, or attempting to range antelope on flat ground with a bigazzz aimer didn't work worth a crap. Hopefully it's much smaller.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the EL Range 8X42's for about a month now and have done a lot of glassing and comparison with my twelve! year old 8.5X42's
Here's my observations, so far.

Ergonomics: The bumps that house the electronics took about a day to get used to. In the hand, they are hardly noticeable. A bigger nuisance is how they hang from the neck, angling a bit differently than my old set. I've carried the old EL's so much that closing the objective covers with my left hand had become a subconsious act. I now had to actually look down to see what I was doing. About the new covers, they have been redesigned to grip the tubes' external and internal surfaces, and so far are much less likely to open inadvertently, though they do take a bit more attention to close. The ocular cover is the same as my old one and while some people never attach it, I can't imagine leaving that glass unprotected. After a few days use, it practically goes on and off by itself. The multi-stop twist out eye cups are probably a good idea, but I like mine all the way out all the time and the new version sticks out a bit farther. No biggie. They're still easy on the eye-socket bones, an important feature because you really can look thru this glass for hours on end.

I like my old Swarovski padded neck strap more than the new one. They've made the new ones with a built-in curve that just doesn't feel right, yet. For bino bra folks, this won't be an issue, and if I don't swap it out, I'm sure it'll break in like a good pair of boots. The new soft case is actually fairly rigid and kind of bulky and doesn't tuck away into my truck's center console nearly as well as my old one.

Now about the glass. When stacking the two, there was a larger magnification difference between the new 8 and my old 8.5's than I expected; I tried to be totally objective, but we know that in most conditions, higher magnification makes stuff look 'brighter', and my old glass probably had a slight advantage. In good light, I really had to strain to tell much difference between the two, with the edge finally going to the new glass likely because of the accumulated wear and tear on the old set.

I've always loved my 8.5's for the easiness on the eyes and ability to hold steady, and figured it'd be even more important with the rangefinder. The new set didn't dissapoint here. The rangefinder is superb, returning readings super fast and super far--I ranged a log cabin 2148 yards away! Read the manual to get it set up the way you want: Range only/TBR/Range and degrees ETC, as well as the diopter adjustments.

Comparing the two stacked in fading light is where the new set really started to outclass my old faithfuls. This is literally only 15 minutes of glassable light and usually well past shooting hours, but there it is. The new Swaros are absolutely stunning. And should be for close to 3 Large. I've used the great Swaro Laser Guide rangefinder in conjuction with my old EL's for a long time now, and knowing I've got the best of both in one unit around my neck really makes me grin. And no, my old EL's and rangefinder ARE NOT FOR SALE! My soon to be eagle scout is going to be mighty happy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice report GTC22, thanks. Is the aiming circle the same size as in the Swaro Laser Guide?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I would too...
It's why some of us here picked up the Zeiss RF's for $1799 from Doug...Not quite half price, but getting close.

Stellar glass.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by broomd

I would too...
It's why some of us here picked up the Zeiss RF's for $1799 from Doug...Not quite half price, but getting close.

Stellar glass.

Guess I'll just have to keep slumming my Geovids.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Nice report GTC22, thanks. Is the aiming circle the same size as in the Swaro Laser Guide?

I don't know the exact specs, but the new aiming circle seems to me to be about 1/3 the size of the Laser Guide. It's now about Leica fast too. And you can set the brightness level manually if desired. My old one seemed to fade out a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by broomd

I would too...

Stellar glass.

Guess I'll just have to keep slumming my Geovids.

Parted with my 'vids for the RF's, and while the RF's are slightly better glass and laser-wise, the 'vids are still fabulous, even in non-HD.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I also have the new 10x42 EL ranges. I have not really put them through the paces but I have used them enough to say they blow my old Leica Geovids HD out of the water. The image is brighter, and laser is faster. Not to mention I could never get my leicas to range past 8 or 900 yards and even cost me a muleys buck in Wyoming a few years back becuse it wouldn't range in the snow. I have ranged my swaros in rain, light fog, but no snow yet. I am very happy with them so far.

S
S
Hi Joel,

If your Geovids won't range further than that, there's definitely a problem. Send them back to Leica for a collimation check (realignment of emitter to receiver). I've ranged elk at 1300 yards with the old 1300 yard rated Geovids. As to snow, the amount of infrared light (that causes snow blindness) is much greater over snow than other surfaces, and this negatively effects the performance of all rangefinders, some more than others. There's always a trade off. If I can be of help, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Spanialdog do you work for Leica. Also you have a PM. Thanks

Last edited by joelbiltz; 08/02/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Took my EL Range 10x 42 on an Elk hunt in October. Very happy with the purchase. The guides were very knowledgeable about them and very envious of them as well. They worked excellant. The guide stopped using his Lieca range finder and just asked me what the range was each time we needed to range an animal. One advantage the Lieca (rangefinder, not binos) was that it was better for close range for the one bow hunter with us. Beyond that he just turned to me each time because we all were already looking through our Binos.

Definitely suggest a bino harness with them. Have used the binos since for goose hunting (although they were not needed, enjoyed having them). Spotted several Bald Eagles with them as well. Crystal clear and dependable.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd sure like to try one. How's the paint on the hinge and inside of the barrels holding up so far? I noticed they're real similar to the EL's in that regard and that's one area I'd like to Swaro cover with something more durable than whatever paint they use.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So far no issues with the paint on the hinges or anywhere. Actually, no problems at all. I don't use them on a daily basis as I have to work to live and only live to hunt on the few weekends a year I can get away. So my use is probably significantly easier on them than many of you lucky soles that actually get to get out in the field more often.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am on my third pair of these and they are great. I had the Swarovision bino's and Swarovski LRF and sold them to get the rangefinding EL's. The Swarovision glass is better, who knows, someday they may incorporate it into the rangefinding EL's, until then I have these.

As far as the rangefinding capabilities, the Swarovski is better then the Geovids, I have had them too. I have gotten ranges of 1900 yards with the EL's. The range is fast and if you keep your finger on the button, it is continuous read. The only downside to the EL's is the closest reading you can get is 32 yards. For bowhunting, that is not close enough.

It has the angle compensationg feature, that really shows you how little value there is in knowing those distances. Only under extreme conditions, would that make a difference in a shot with a bow or rifle.

When I bow hunt, I am usually in good lighting conditions and in warmer weather, so I prefer my Leica Ultravid compacts and a Leica CRF rangefinder, so the short range isn't critical to my EL's.

Overall, I would give them an A rating, A+ would be if they could get the entire package into the standard EL housing and Swarovision optics. Until then...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.