Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Those places would be perfect for filming "end of the world" movies.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is Detroit the example of what this country is going to look like after we go broke?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, you're The Duke of New York. You're A number 1.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Loved the movie, Our inner cities are becoming wastelands and war zones. Sad to see.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
McCarthy's "The Road" courtesy of failed liberal policies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think they should use it as a demolitions, artillery and airstrike training area and follow with a good number of Cat D11 bulldozers, excavators and wrecking balls. Make huge reefs in the Great Lakes with the stone and masonry rubble.

And yes, I am completely serious.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WildWest
Is Detroit the example of what this country is going to look like after we go broke?

No Detroit the example of what a city looks like when it goes broke BUT there are other segments of the country to help it.

When the country goes broke, it will be much worse

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just watch the News here, all they talk about, Is how Detroit is rebuilding, How Great it is ect, right after they say how many were killed, shot, raped, during the day. at least 3-7 a day, some days more! Im 12 miles south of this mess, and want out if and when I can.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlering
Just watch the News here, all they talk about, Is how Detroit is rebuilding, How Great it is ect, right after they say how many were killed, shot, raped, during the day. at least 3-7 a day, some days more! Im 12 miles south of this mess, and want out if and when I can.

Often it is best to scratch the dirt before you rebuild. Instead of piece meal simply doze the entire areas to dirt and start over, but only build when the private capitol calls for it. Beyond the complete elimination of whole neighborhoods,to include roads and everything, no public funds whatsoever. So doze it flat, seed it and let it go until someone sees fit to invest in it. Like an old strip mine.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

F
F
Hiroshima, August 1945: Devastated shell of its former self
Detroit, August 1945: Gleaming, bustling, industrious city
Hiroshima, August 2012: Gleaming, bustling, industrious city
Detroit, August 2012: Devastated shell of its former self

Question: Did somebody drop an atomic bomb on Detroit while I was camping in the mountains and didn't hear about it?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by crosshair

Often it is best to scratch the dirt before you rebuild. Instead of piece meal simply doze the entire areas to dirt and start over, but only build when the private capitol calls for it. Beyond the complete elimination of whole neighborhoods,to include roads and everything, no public funds whatsoever. So doze it flat, seed it and let it go until someone sees fit to invest in it. Like an old strip mine.

They're doing it now. I saw a news story not long ago about how they're FARMING large areas of the former slums of Detroit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

They're doing it now. I saw a news story not long ago about how they're FARMING large areas of the former slums of Detroit.

That is what they should do. Your description of SLUM is right on, they are not ghettos

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Yup! Fertilizer is being supplied by the gang-bangers (see original story). East St. Louis has been this way for at least 40 years. I don't see Detroit getting "healthy" in the near future.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A while back there was a thread on Detroit with some YouTube videos shot while driving around the streets.

It was shocking to see the devastation. It looked like a third world war zone.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The decay of Detroit was caused by a number of factors, a couple of which are mentioned in the link provided. It is a sad tale but actually somewhat fascinating if you research it. The "white flight", the destruction of several black neighborhoods to make room for the construction of I-75, and a terrible riot in 1967 that was actually caused by an incident involving poor judgement by some Detroit LE are just a few factors. But IMHO the coup-de-gras was fired by the UAW.

I was born and raised in Flint. The birthplace of GM. In Flint and Detroit, all the auto factories were old as dirt. In the 60's, GM wanted to modernize. Much of this was going to entail the installation of machinery that would take the place of some of the workers. The local UAW in these areas opposed this idea at every turn. Then in the early 70's gas prices skyrocketed, sales declined, and GM really started to feel the pinch.

In the early 70's, over about a two year period, GM closed 4 car factories in Flint. In a city of 200,000 people...45,000 were suddenly without a job.

I don't remember the numbers of factories and jobs lost in Detroit. But the downhill slide was already underway. The closing of these factories put a rocket booster on it. In the late 60's Detroit's population was somewhere around 1.5 - 1.6 million. Now it is less than half that.

Truth be told, though, Detroit was always a pretty mean place. Since 1955 there have been more than a million homicides in Detroit. More than any other city in the world, including Baghdad. I lived in Detroit, in an old part of town, for 3 months in the spring of 1974. I was nineteen years old and already knew a little about the streets. I got a college degree in street smarts in those three months.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortleade
The decay of Detroit was caused by a number of factors, a couple of which are mentioned in the link provided. It is a sad tale but actually somewhat fascinating if you research it. The "white flight", the destruction of several black neighborhoods to make room for the construction of I-75, and a terrible riot in 1967 that was actually caused by an incident involving poor judgement by some Detroit LE are just a few factors. But IMHO the coup-de-gras was fired by the UAW.

I was born and raised in Flint. The birthplace of GM. In Flint and Detroit, all the auto factories were old as dirt. In the 60's, GM wanted to modernize. Much of this was going to entail the installation of machinery that would take the place of some of the workers. The local UAW in these areas opposed this idea at every turn. Then in the early 70's gas prices skyrocketed, sales declined, and GM really started to feel the pinch.

In the early 70's, over about a two year period, GM closed 4 car factories in Flint. In a city of 200,000 people...45,000 were suddenly without a job.

I don't remember the numbers of factories and jobs lost in Detroit. But the downhill slide was already underway. The closing of these factories put a rocket booster on it. In the late 60's Detroit's population was somewhere around 1.5 - 1.6 million. Now it is less than half that.

Truth be told, though, Detroit was always a pretty mean place. Since 1955 there have been more than a million homicides in Detroit. More than any other city in the world, including Baghdad. I lived in Detroit, in an old part of town, for 3 months in the spring of 1974. I was nineteen years old and already knew a little about the streets. I got a college degree in street smarts in those three months.

Everything you say is true, but there was more to it than that; pandering to the underclass with increased welfare benefits that the city couldn't afford, combined with members of city government and city employees stealing the city blind, add in corruption of the police, fire department, school board, highlighted by rampant cronyism, nepotism, and Marxism, and you have a small idea of what happened.

I grew up on the East Side, an area that was solidly anti-Coleman Young. When he got re-elected, he made sure that the East Side was punished by refusing to fix the streets, the streetlights, or anything else. There was no reason for anyone that could afford to move out, to stay.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep that about sums it up. Funny, Coleman Young robbed the city blind and they have a plaque of him in Cobo Hall, not too far away from a statue of Joe Louis.

Kwame, well he just got a jail cell.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Kilpatrick

I laugh when I hear of some of the talk about how rough certain cities are. I can take you to places in Detroit that make them look like country clubs......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Anybody remember the movie 'Escape from New York?'"
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

Yes! I saw it in altered states.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Same old, same old...companies deep in unions..can't keep up with their obligations..Jap's making a better product ( helped by their goverment) no tarrifs on our part. look what happened to the Lift truck Industry in US... DONE!! GM's a great example... going down again.. it's sad we let this happen!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10ring1, 1234, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,125
Posts18,502,439
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.