Hop To
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIICompetition/models.html

I finally had the opportunity to handle one of the Ruger Mark III Competition Pistols, and it was a beautiful thing, balanced and impressive looking. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm curious as to whether the trigger is adequate as is, or whether it requires replacement, and I would also like to know how accurate they are. For years, I've wanted a Smith and Wesson Model 41, but they are approximately double the price of the Ruger, and since I do not shoot competitively, I'm not sure I can rationalize that much expense. Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Ruger is a nice pistol and feel great in the hand , but don't even try to compare it to Smiths Model 41 the Ruger isn't in the same class.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would definately budget for a trigger upgrade, to me that is one of the weeknesses of the MK I/II/III design. You should have little problem grouping 1" at 25 yds with the guns preferred ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is the exact model I have.

Triggers on Ruger pistols are an iffy thing. Mine happens to be very good, it breaks cleanly just under 3 pounds. It does have a bit of overtravel which is the one thing they let you adjust on these, but you have to take the pistol entirely apart to get to the adjustment.

Several years ago I replaced the factory trigger on an older MkII bull barrel with a Volquartsen and while it was "better", it still wouldn't equal the trigger on any run of the mill S&W K-frame. If you want a better trigger I'd just keep the factory trigger and let someone familiar with them polish it up some.

But these Rugers are Accurate with a capital A, especially this longer barrel model. Good adjustable sights as well.

A Model 41 is a beautiful pistol, wish I'd never sold the one I had, but for anything short of championship level bullseye shooting the Ruger will suit you very well.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got that model in the MK-II.. It's truly very accurate. I've got a red-dot sight on top and squirrels have NO chance inside 50 yards re: head shots.. I cannot recall a time it's failed to feed/fire/eject - and I clean it only every 200-300 rounds..

This is mine with a set of Eagle custom LH grips:

[Linked Image]

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Those grips are beautiful!

I'd be tickled to obtain performance anything like you and Jim are getting from your pistols. If the one I saw is still at the gunshop, I'm gonna buy it.

Redneck and Jim, what type of ammo are each of you finding to be most accurate? The target stuff?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here's mine...It's got a Burris Fast Fire on top & has a couple aftermarket doodads on the internals...I need to replace the fastfire though because the dot is just a tad too big for pinpoint sighting...I CAN keep all ten shots within about an inch & a half at fifty when I brace it on a tree or on a bench...

I'd really like to see what it'd do from a Ransom rest though.
It's accurate way above my abilities...Stingers are close to the top in accuracy with Federal SV & CCI mini-mags right in there. I tried some pricey Eley but the gun wasn't impressed in the least.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Middlefork - That's the same Ruger I have but mine only has factory sights. It is extremely accurate, runs without a hiccup, and the trigger was excellent as it came to me. Definitely a keeper.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Ruger Mark II at 25 yards. I screwed up the last shot after seeing nine shots in the hole. The Ruger will shoot with the very best. It is the ammo itself that is the limit. [Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Daveman
Those grips are beautiful!

I'd be tickled to obtain performance anything like you and Jim are getting from your pistols. If the one I saw is still at the gunshop, I'm gonna buy it.

Redneck and Jim, what type of ammo are each of you finding to be most accurate? The target stuff?
I use Winchester Super-X.. I've not tried my Eley stuff yet.. I keep that for the Rem M541T and turkey shoots.. But I should run a box through it and see what happens.. smile

added: I forgot to answer part of your original question - the trigger is very good when compared to most 22s. I've not touched it and wouldn't attempt to in any case.. It has just a bit of takeup and then letoff is predictable and repeatable..

Last edited by Redneck; 07/26/12.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same here, Winchester Super-X. I'm still working on a couple of cases I bought many years ago.

Wolf Match Target also shoots great, but it shoots great in everything.

The bulk stuff, Winchester Wildcat and so forth, won't make such pretty groups as the two mentioned but the Ruger still shoots them plenty good enough to hit the 6" ringer consistently at 50 yards.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Serously - regarding all the 'bulk stuff'.. Let it go.. The quality on that crap has gone downhill as fast as the Queens' chances at a Lombardy trophy..

Lately I've seen about 3 out of 10 shells misfire from bulk boxes - while the higher-priced 50 ct. box stuff has been tons better..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Serously - regarding all the 'bulk stuff'.. Let it go.. The quality on that crap has gone downhill as fast as the Queens' chances at a Lombardy trophy..

Lately I've seen about 3 out of 10 shells misfire from bulk boxes - while the higher-priced 50 ct. box stuff has been tons better..

So true. My friends come to shoot and I find many live rounds on the ground that failed to fire and were ejected. To hear "pop, bang, crack, click" will drive you nuts.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have both a '41 and the Ruger Comp model. I shoot just as well with the Ruger. They are both VERY good. Out of five rugers in my safe, only one had a pretty iffy triger. Replaced with aftermarket and wow.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't like the Mk III versions. The trigger disconnect, magazine disconnect, whatever you want to call it, complicates the trigger mechanism a fair bit.

I have a 5.5" blued heavy barrel. Shoots pretty well. The trigger was horrible. With over $100 in Volquartsen upgrades, the trigger is now about where a Mk II with well tuned factory parts is and not nearly as good as a Mk II with the same level of upgrades.

IMHO, if you want a Ruger .22 semi-auto, skip the new Mk III and shop around for a used Mk II. It's a better gun.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with the statement that the Rugers don't compare with a S&W 41, I believe that the 41s are at least twice as expensive.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.