#6743735 08/03/12
J
JD338 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Need some guidance.
I am flying this fall to a hunt location and need to know what TSA locks you fellas use?
I have a Pelican rifle case.

JD338

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't use TSA locks on my rifle case,I used them on my duffel. Rifle case can and should have first class padlocks on it.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
J
JD338 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
ET

I agree and was going to use keyed Masrer Locks.
Someone told me that you have to use TSA approved locks.

JD338

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Used a master lock on Cabelas aluminum case flying with American Air and have never had a problem. Went to Alaska in June of this year........... IF you do not use TSA locks and they decide they want to look in your case when you are not around then they WILL cut the lock.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have found that a TSA lock should be used on luggage that is not inspected in front of you by a TSA agent and that a gun case, which is inspected, should have a regular lock. I had a lock cut off a rod case but never a gun case. The rod case had not been inspected, the gun case had been.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I didn't use TSA locks on my rifle case,I used them on my duffel. Rifle case can and should have first class padlocks on it.

I've always used a first-class, keyed lock on my Pelican Rifle case. Every time it has been opened and inspected in my presence THEN I locked it. I also put a second set of locks, keyed the same, IN the case just in case TSA decides they need to cut the locks and look. I have not had problems and they have never cut the locks once they have done their initial inspection.

Just my $0.02

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would never use a TSA lock on a gun case........

Cancer Sucks
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TSA locks are made so they can be opened without using the regular key. That's NOT what I'd want on a gun case.

TSA goons have twice cut the TSA locks on my golf clubs (which they always hand-inspect behind the scenes because of the metal content) instead of using their special key, the bastids.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
just got back from Africa. The USA nor South Africa want you to use TSA locks on your rifle case.

I used 4 matched locks and had a pack of 4 more in the case in case they cut my locks.

I had no problems during travel with anything.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

I've always used a first-class, keyed lock on my Pelican Rifle case. Every time it has been opened and inspected in my presence THEN I locked it. I also put a second set of locks, keyed the same, IN the case just in case TSA decides they need to cut the locks and look. I have not had problems and they have never cut the locks once they have done their initial inspection.

Same experience here.

Every time I've flown with firearms, I am redirected straight to a TSA agent, who inspects it with me there, then locks it and places it on the belt before I walk away.

I also put an extra set of locks inside the case, but have never had an issue after it is hand-inspected, locked, and checked in.

Really not a big deal to travel with firearms. And if you get an agent that hunts or knows guns, you can actually have an enjoyable conversation with the guys sometimes as they're checking out your firearm, just like any other "gun guy".

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Denver they redirect you to TSA and have you unlock the case, check it, scan it and move on no issues. Coming back from Boston however, even though I jumped through their hoops, they cut my lock off, rifled through my bag and then denied it ever happened. Unfortunately the person cutting the lock also cut the bag and the Zipper pull itself and when they put everything back in, put my pistol case on the top of the bag so that the sharp corners cut the bag too. Not happy at all. Filed a complaint and they refused to admit anything. After two months of filing complaints finally dropped it. I'll get hard side luggage next time.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No TSA locks on a gun case for me. Masterlock or similar.

He went over yonder way
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When traveling with a Firearm they inspect it at check in , you lock the case and it isn't opened again until you open after you pick up at final destination. TSA locks are used on your personal luggage, if not they will cut your locks off if not TSA and the luggage is locked

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
JD338 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks fellas, I feel better now.

JD338

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
More reasons not to fly.

Wake up, smell the politician, and re-elect nobody.

"Nee how,nega bin da" (Mandarin: "Hello,dumb a$$)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (10gaugemag, 35, 6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 907brass, 9 invisible), 13,954 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,001
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.