Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
There's been a couple of big skunks hangin around my place,and I want em dead!They come right up on the porch,looking for leftovers from the cat.If the cat is eating, it'll run it right off and take over.So,I could shoot it, but that's liable to end up in a stink,landlord might not be impressed.
Was talking to my dad about this,he said he'd been told fly bait/poison mixed into some food will kill them dead and right quick too.Any truth to this? I can often see them coming from the bush to check out the porch for food,so I could have it readyand put it out so that no neighbourhood pets are endangered,even though that's unlikely here.Any other suggestions?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Box trap with solid or covered sides. When caught you can move them and release of just sink trap in a pond or creek.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I know a guy that used to trap skunks at all the local turkey farms (skunk heaven)

He'd approach the live skunk in a foot trap and shoot it broadside and pretty far back "right at the last rib prety much gut shot" he said, with a .22 short from a revolver.

Thats was what he settled on for his sprayless skunk death method.

I've never tried it.

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Skunks are a gamble. No guarantees. The Animal Control Contractors usually live-trap 'em and hit 'em with a syringe. It's expensive and rightfully so. I've heard northern dave's method many times, but it's still iffy. Good luck amigo.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Remove the food source, and the skunks will leave. Feed the cat INside the house. Fixes the problem and you don't get skunked.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
catch them in a live trap then put a heavy duty trash bag over the end of the trap and open it with a stick to get the skunk in the bag. now find the car of a person you really hate and need to get even with and toss the bag and skunk in the car. be sure to leave the bag untied so mister skunk can get out.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
ratsmacker's cure is best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Number 1 carrier of rabies.
They gotta go.

Is there a woodlot? Pour food along their trail and put an end to coming all the way to the porch. Feed them there for a few days.

Once they're trained dig a post hole about a foot wide and 6 ft deep right next to the food bowl. Head shot from the correct angle might roll 'em right down the hole but if not ease 'em over the edge with a stick and shovel in the dirt.

If no wood lot is available the neighbor's back yard will just have to do. smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Head shot (behind the ear), and they probably won't spray. DO NOT GRAB A HIND LEG.Don't ask how I know this.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
LOL, somebody said if you get their back feet off the ground, they physically cannot spray. Good luck wit dat.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a student that would remove them from live traps by grabbing the tail and hoisting them out. We used squirrel sized Hav-a-Harts so that they couldn't spray while in the trap. He never got sprayed. However, I recommend catching them in the live traps and drowning them.

If you break their back, they can't spray either, and I have dispatched a couple with a .22 long rifle that way, but I had a couple of others where the spine was not hit and those did spray. I went to using a 12-gauge shotgun with No. 4 buckshot. If you center them in the pattern, they die instantly and don't spray.

If your farm store carries a fly poison called Golden Malrin, they will eat it and it will kill them pretty quickly. I used it in our horse barn up in Nebraska and some of the skunks and coons didn't make it but 4 or 5 ft from the pan before expiring.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Golden Henry, or Blued Ruger works nearly as well as Golden Marlin - but in a different way.

Shoot 'em.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Experimentin' around with 'em is great if you don't have any females or friends in your life. If I tell the old lady I caught one, she can smell it for days. If I don't mention it, I'm usually good, using gloves and a long limb.

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by mudhen
I had a student that would remove them from live traps by grabbing the tail and hoisting them out. We used squirrel sized Hav-a-Harts so that they couldn't spray while in the trap. He never got sprayed. However, I recommend catching them in the live traps and drowning them.

If you break their back, they can't spray either, and I have dispatched a couple with a .22 long rifle that way, but I had a couple of others where the spine was not hit and those did spray. I went to using a 12-gauge shotgun with No. 4 buckshot. If you center them in the pattern, they die instantly and don't spray.

If your farm store carries a fly poison called Golden Malrin, they will eat it and it will kill them pretty quickly. I used it in our horse barn up in Nebraska and some of the skunks and coons didn't make it but 4 or 5 ft from the pan before expiring.

Thats the stuff I heard about,with similar results. How do you get them to eat it,or is that not a problem?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have a live cage set up with cat food inside. Possums and skunks are taken out back and dispatched with 22lr into the back of the head, near the ear. Have not been sprayed yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have not been sprayed yet.

Well - sez you. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by mudhen

Thats the stuff I heard about,with similar results. How do you get them to eat it,or is that not a problem?

If they're eating cat food, just put out a pan of it where the cat food was. They eat it readily.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
About 3:00 a.m. my SIL came up from the downstairs bedroom that he and my daughter were camping in to announce that there was a skunk in the window well, and it couldn't get out.

Fortunately, we had some doggy downers left from flying our pooch out here. One was supposed to be enough for a 25 pound beagle. I pressed 2 into a Rice Crispy treat, and tossed it in. A while later, I was able to put a board into the window well so it could climb out. Next morning it was gone.

Living in town, I've discovered that offing raccoons with a 22 is less likely to draw attention if you do it around July 4 and late at night.

Be not weary in well doing.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I've heard you can trap them in the open at night in the hot summer and leave them in the trap through a hot day and they take a dirt nap without spraying.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Living in town, I've discovered that offing raccoons with a 22 is less likely to draw attention if you do it around July 4 and late at night.

>chuckle<

Tricky as coons are, they'll learn right-quick not to spend the 4th at your place.

Now, invest in a good pellet gun..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,582
Posts18,473,355
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.