Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 2bears
1 pound of your favorite bulk sausage (I like homemade country sausage, or in a pinch Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean)
1/4 to 1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
salt and lots of pepper to taste
Biscuits or toast or homefries or all of them.

Brown sausage (the browner the better) add equal amount of flour to the fat in the pan and stir in milk. Salt and lots of pepper simmer until thick and delicious! Serve over toast or homefries or biscuits. YUMMY!
I love sausage gravy over biscuits, eggs, hash browns, etc.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ok guys here's how you make good sausage gravy.The ammounts don't matter.You can use more or less sausage,depending on how much you like,I like more.You can use more flour and oil but the more you use the more gravy you will make.

Very lightly brown sausage in a skillet.It won't be anywhere near done.Add some salt and pepper.Add a little olive oil,I usually use about 1/8 cup.Add some flour and stir untill you have a fairly thick paste of mixed flour and oil.

The key here is to have a thick paste.Too much oil and your gravy will be greasy.Too much flour and your mixture will try to stick and burn on the bottom of the skillet.You can just add a little more of either flour or oil to get it right.

Now around here we like browned gravy which is why you didn't fully cook the sausage.If you cook the sausage too long to start it will get too hard while you are cooking the flour.You will now cook the mixture untill it is a dark golden brown, continually stirring with a whisk.

When it is dark golden brown add about 2 cups of milk and continually stir with the whisk on medium heat untill it starts getting thick.Now turn off the heat and add more milk in small ammounts and stir untill it is the thickness you want.Add salt and pepper to taste.I like it with a little bit of peppery bite.

Serve over a steaming hot, split biscuit and enjoy.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/06/12.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Ok guys here's how you make good sausage gravy.The ammounts don't matter.You can use more or less sausage,depending on how much you like,I like more.You can use more flour and oil but the more you use the more gravy you will make.

Very lightly brown sausage in a skillet.It won't be anywhere near done.Add some salt and pepper.Add a little olive oil,I usually use about 1/8 cup.Add some flour and stir untill you have a fairly thick paste of mixed flour and oil.

The key here is to have a thick paste.Too much oil and your gravy will be greasy.Too much flour and your mixture will try to stick and burn on the bottom of the skillet.You can just add a little more of either flour or oil to get it right.

Now around here we like browned gravy which is why you didn't fully cook the sausage.If you cook the sausage too long to start it will get too hard while you are cooking the flour.You will now cook the mixture untill it is a dark golden brown, continually stirring with a whisk.

When it is dark golden brown add about 2 cups of milk and continually stir with the whisk on medium heat untill it starts getting thick.Now turn off the heat and add more milk in small ammounts and stir untill it is the thickness you want.Add salt and pepper to taste.I like it with a little bit of peppery bite.

Serve over a steaming hot, split biscuit and enjoy.

Just how my mom and grandma use to make it. My wife and I make it that way but sometimes it turns a little lumpy.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Canned gravy, huh? If you think that's weird, try this...

[Linked Image]

Probably should only eat that when yer wife ain't home!! grin

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
"I eat a lot of my food right out of the can, no dishes, bowels or microwaving required"

As in innards? smile

I imagine no bowels are required because it comes back up long before it would be passed on to them. smile

I would think that [bleep] would blow right past your bowels and out the back end.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Vahuntr
Get with it with the whisk and you won't have any lumps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
make my own the way my grandma taught me. i would kill for some of her homemade cathead biscuits and gravy. she would mix the biscuits right in the flour bin.no measuring .

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
He peeks furtively into the room, finds it empty, tiptoes warily to the middle, looks about him one more time to be sure that he is alone, and in a small, quiet voice states that he has never yet found a biscuit that he would take over a nice, soft dinner roll for any sort of eating purpose, then beats a rather hasty retreat from the room, glad to still be alive.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My family's been making it for generations also. It's better to make it with bacon though, most sausage today is too lean to give off enough grease.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I make a thin to medium bechamel sauce with butter and flour. When the flour starts to turn color, I add in a 50/50 mix of cold milk and half&half.
Cook until it thickens. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. I usually put in a little bit of fresh nutmeg.

Cook the sausage separately, drain some of the greaser off, and add to the bechamel sauce. Stir to incorporate, and serve over fresh, hot, cathead biscuits.

Sam......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I make a thin to medium bechamel sauce with butter and flour. When the flour starts to turn color, I add in a 50/50 mix of cold milk and half&half.
Cook until it thickens. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. I usually put in a little bit of fresh nutmeg.

Cook the sausage separately, drain some of the greaser off, and add to the bechamel sauce. Stir to incorporate, and serve over fresh, hot, cathead biscuits.

Now that sounds awesome ! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shocked shocked !! If u guys replace that � regular milk� with �evaporated milk� straight from the can �and man/lady up and use corn starch for the flour�.�. u will taste what u have been missing�...and fine chop a bit of green pepper with the onion to liv'in it up some smile!!
Ps����..There are a few basic differences in starch vs flour..
1. Appearance: flour makes a gravy opaque and can dull or lighten the color, while cornstarch (when used properly) yields a clear, shiny sauce.
2. Flavor: flour needs to be cooked enough to lose its raw flavor; cornstarch doesn't have much flavor on its own. And if you use a cooked flour (such as a long-cooked Cajun-style roux, or roasted flour), you ADD a roasty-toasty flavor you can't get with cornstarch.
3. Cooking time: Flour needs relative long cooking, both to lose its raw flavor and to unleash its thickening powers; cornstarch needs only a short cooking time to thicken. In fact, if you cook cornstarch too long, it lets go and the sauce thins out again. wink

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
corn starch, potato starch, tapioca and other flour alternatives all have their place in cooking.
Sausage gravy, or any 'milk gravy' though, is not that place. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam,

So milk gravy is basically a slight variation on what the rest of the world terms a "white sauce"?

If so, take it one step further and make an onion (white) sauce; simply fry/brown a some finely chopped onion in the dripping from the sausage, and then add that to your milk gravy at the bechamel stage and simmer a little. I usually use white onions, but red are good also..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 08/06/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Pete, milk gravy requires some sort of milk as an ingredient. Canned condensed milk, reconstituted dry milk, whole milk, or whatever you like.
When I make sausage gravy, I am probably going to make more than can be produced with just the rendered fat from the sausage. That is why I make the bechamel sauce first, and then add the cooked sausage to that.

Adding in onion, shallots, green bell pepper, hot peppers or any other flavoring you want is fine. Very few hard and fast rules in country cooking.

My recipe is not gospel, but it does produce a damn fine product. There are as many recipes for making that stuff as there are folks doing the cooking.
Just as in cuba, all the abuelas y t�as have their own ideas on how it should be done. That said, gravy needs four basic components. Starch, Milk, fat and of course, SAUSAGE. laugh

Sam......

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just about like everybody else has said, only I often use both sausage and minced bacon- "hillbilly bacon" from Hatfield's Smokehouse, I get it from one outside Joplin- and pretty often tweak it with Tabasco or similar hot sauce. "Canned" and "gravy" should be mutually exclusive.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I package of pioneer gravy mix and stir with a wisk till hot and bubbly.
Add sausage,bacon or whatever,then eat with buttermilk biscuits.

Then when take a nap.cuz you will be full.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I save my bechamel, for tortellini ....

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done about every canned sausage gravy you can probably find and while they'll all "do", nothing substitutes making your own as can tune it to your tastes. Kinda like factory ammo vs. handloads.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,410 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.