Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
While I have have two 6X42's and couldn't be happier with them, I am curious about the 6X36.

The 6x36 will fit the original Sako rings (as the 6x42 will not) on my Dad's Sako Forester Deluxe 308 (the original Redfield Widefield 6x is kaput).

Any downsides to the 6x36 Leupold?

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had both, now I have two of the 6x36's and can't think of a downside.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have both. The only downside I can think of is tracking with the 6x36 may not be as good if you are twirling turrets. Supposedly, and I haven't tested this yet, the newer 6x42s have better tracking with the newer twin erector spring set up. I will know soon in that I'm having a new 6x42 mounted on a rifle that is being built and should be in within the next week or two.

If you're a set them and leave sort of guy as I am with most of my rifles, then either are great. I in fact like the lighter weight and greater tube length of the 6x36 in those instances.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm a set them, leave them guy, and I really like the 6x36.

It's got very long eye relief, big eye box, brighter than it should be. It's light, easy to mount on most rifles too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have both. The only downside I can think of is tracking with the 6x36 may not be as good if you are twirling turrets. Supposedly, and I haven't tested this yet, the newer 6x42s have better tracking with the newer twin erector spring set up. I will know soon in that I'm having a new 6x42 mounted on a rifle that is being built and should be in within the next week or two.

If you're a set them and leave sort of guy as I am with most of my rifles, then either are great. I in fact like the lighter weight and greater tube length of the 6x36 in those instances.

The new fx3's have a single erector spring, not duals like the vx3. Leupold catalog p 38

Sean
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
field of view I would think be the main diffrence

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have several 6x36mm with the LR on rifles they are among my favorite scopes, but wanting a CDS dial I went to a FX-3 6x42 CDS that works great and other then a couple of extra ounces do not see a downside.

Ted
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There's very little difference in FOV, and probably not in the way you're thinking: The 6x36's FOV at 100 yards is 17.7 feet, the 6x42's 17.3.

The 6x42 FX-3 is one of the brightest 6x scopes in the world, but the 6x36 isn't far behind. The extra brightness has a price, though. The 6x42 weighs 36% more, in fact it weighs an ounce more than the 3.5-10x40 VX-3.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SeanD
The new fx3's have a single erector spring, not duals like the vx3. Leupold catalog p 38

Check Leupold's new website under the FX3 6x42. Dual spring it is.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IMHO the only down side is if you get a matte finsh 6x36 is the wide duplex is the only out of the box choice. Easy enough to fix if you buy through the custom shop. My son bought one last year with the post & duplex reticle. Great scope. The 6x36 is a bit lighter.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StarchedCover

Not a one that I can think of...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have two of them... one with a German Number 4 reticle and one with a Leupold Target Dot.... they do get shuffled around a lot...mounted on loaned deer rifles for kids coming hunting season I take out in the field... and then on 22s after hunting season.. once again for kids...

the one with the Number 4 reticle, I like due how I obtained it..

Good old Leupold customer service...

some moron was down at Bi Mart, trying to trade in a Leupold 3 power scope that had busted cross hairs on it...and was replacing it for a Simmons 3 x 9 22 scope to put on a 7 Mag..

the Simmons were $39.95...he was trying to sell the girl at the counter for an even trade.. talking up what a great scope a Leupold was.. and they could easily sell it.. not getting it thru his head, they don't trade scopes or rifles...

so I asked him how much he wanted for it... he comes up with $40, to cover the cost of his desired Simmons 22 scope...tells me the gun was inherited from his dad who passed away...

I pick up the scope and look thru it and the cross hairs are turning as I hold it..."sure" I say, and pulled out a pair of 20s to give him...

he and his buddy are leaving the store, and I can hear them a few aisles over congratulating the other on selling a broken scope to some idiot, and they have a new Simmons 22 Scope to put on a 7 Mag for free...

so I get home, box it up.. ship it up to Portland to Leupold..

two days later I get a call from them, and telling me that the scope is no longer made and they don't have parts for it...

so they offer to send me a new 4 power as a replacement...

I ask how much to upgrade to a straight 6 power instead...

the Leupold gal asks could she put me on hold for a second..and comes back with " we have a 6 power with a German Number 4 reticle, that a customer sent in and we put the wrong reticle in it.. it was brand new... would that work? "

sure would 'maam....two days later I get a new 6 power Leupold back in the mail...4 day turn around...

so I have a new 6 power scope for $40... and I am sure these two idiots wasted their new Simmons 22 scope in about half a dozen shots out of their 7 Mag...

proving once again.. Stupid is as stupid does..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yeah...you can't buy it over the counter in a Matte finish with a standard Duplex reticle.That's all... mad

If the marketing geniuses at Leupold are reading this,they have lost at least a 10 scope sales to me alone for pulling this marketing faux pas with the 4X and 6X Leupold.I shopped and bought used instead....and I spend like a drunken sailor when I see something I want.

I don't mind a bit of creative marketing but I hate it when a company insults my intelligence and thinks I'm stupid. frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Yeah...you can't buy it over the counter in a Matte finish with a standard Duplex reticle.That's all... mad

If the marketing geniuses at Leupold are reading this,they have lost at least a 10 scope sales to me alone for pulling this marketing faux pas with the 4X and 6X Leupold.I shopped and bought used instead....and I spend like a drunken sailor when I see something I want.

I don't mind a bit of creative marketing but I hate it when a company insults my intelligence and thinks I'm stupid. frown

And I can toss in at least another 10 from our hunters who checked mine (FX3 6x42) out while in camp. As everyone says, it makes absolutely no sense.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JG: Knuckle heads.... grin

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by BobinNH

And I can toss in at least another 10 from our hunters who checked mine (FX3 6x42) out while in camp. As everyone says, it makes absolutely no sense.

I'm in the drunken sailor who didn't get to spend boat as well...... I am appreciative that they make quality fixed power scopes, but the pairings really are an insult. mad Hopefully they'll read a thread.....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JCM: Let's hope so....

I hate ordering things,dealing with Custom Shops,etc,and am an impulse buyer. I want it in front of me right now .

If it ain't there, it ain't getting bought,with some exceptions. grin

Tell me I have to spend another $150 bucks(and order it) for Matte finish and a reticle I've been hunting with for 40+ years and used to buy over the counter, I get downright ornery....and get even more pissed if I have to buy a friggin' variable instead...that's like buying disposable napkins or toilet paper. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I have have two 6X42's and couldn't be happier with them, I am curious about the 6X36.

The 6x36 will fit the original Sako rings (as the 6x42 will not) on my Dad's Sako Forester Deluxe 308 (the original Redfield Widefield 6x is kaput).

If that scope is all that will fit then it's better than irons.

I have one I got on a trade and I think it's on a back row .22 that I will never use.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll trade you a Barska Tactical for it - take it of your hands.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage 99.

I will upgrade that to a Cabela's Pine Ridge variable straight up for it

grin

FB

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.