Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What I meant was mine looks like the date code was stamped before the barrel was polished for bluing in the factory. The polishing marks on the bottom match the top and the caliber stamping is normal. I don't think the barrel was refinished.

GB1

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Marc, I'm guessing that is the case. It seems odd to me that they would've polished this one of mine so much that the date code is as obscured as it is, but it certainly could be the case as well.

I guess as far as the books go, I'm not a collector of those, so I'd probably try to find one mainly for the content, not the value of the book itself, lol. I guess kinda like the 70's I have acquired, lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got $425 for the last rule (1st edition) I sold. I have seen them go for $500, but not for a few years. I think the paperback edition brought the price down.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I am getting in on this discussion pretty late, but here is my take on the barrel.
I believe it is most likely a Super Grade barrel that slipped through the cracks, and was installed on a standard rifle. The "SUPER" stamp look's correct to me for a late S/G rifle. That said, all S/G Fwts barrels were rust blued, which this one does not appear to be. The only reason they were stamped SUPER was to earmark them for rust bluing. There is no other difference between the 2 barrels other than the finish. The date stamp is not a big deal in that Winchester quit stamping dates in 1956. Since the Fwt S/G was released in '55, there were not many with date stamps, if any at all. I have one of mine that is in the 1955 production, and it is stamped with a "55". My othr 3 are later guns made after 55 and none have a date code. I do not recall reading in the post what the s/n was or manuf date, but bet it was 56 or later. In conclusion I believe the barrel was originally earmarked for the Super Grade, but received a conventional Dulite blue and was installed on the standard Fwt rifle. The proofmarks line up very well, also indicating to me it is the original barrel installed at factory.
Just my thoughts.
Steve

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Cartod
I got $425 for the last rule (1st edition) I sold. I have seen them go for $500, but not for a few years. I think the paperback edition brought the price down.

No doubt that the paperback brought the price down but the internet did more to lower the price IMHO. It used to be that if you wanted a leather bound version of Rule's book you bought it when you found it regardless of price (withint reason) now you can sit in your underwear and find everyone for sale at 3 AM! It used to be normal to pay $100-$200 for a 1940's Winchester catalog because you couldn't find one. Now you seach Ebay and there are 10-20 of them for sale at $19.99!

The $425 was that for a normal 1st addition or the limited edition leather bound one with the sleeve?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by reelman
Originally Posted by Cartod

The $425 was that for a normal 1st addition or the limited edition leather bound one with the sleeve?
The normal one.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Steve, thanks for the input. I thought I had put the year in the original post, but may have forgotten to do that. I've got it as a 58 manufacture so your bet would be correct. That was one of the other things that I noticed as I was looking at the markings this AM, the bluing does not appear to be a rust blue. Proof marks are right on the money as well.

Your take on the markings could answer that question, but it then opens up another one for me, why replace the floor plate with a steel one???

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Really have no idea about the floorplate. However I have seen alumimum fwt floorplates used on standard and Varmint rifles. I do not recall reading, but is the trigger guard aluminum? The aluminum floorplates did not hold the finish very well and were prone to denting fairly easily. Perhaps it was replaced after the fact? It's anybodies guess!
Steve

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Nope, trigger guard appears to be steel as well. The entire bottom metal has been re-blued, and you can see some pitting under the bluing.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PSH
Nope, trigger guard appears to be steel as well. The entire bottom metal has been re-blued, and you can see some pitting under the bluing.

Appears to be? It just isn't that hard to check it with a magnet. If it's steel, the magnet will stick. If it's aluminum, it won't.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Yes, that is true, but I wasn't looking closely at the trigger guard simply because I wasn't too concerned with it. Coloring on the trigger guard is exactly the same as the floor plate on it and I know the floor plate is steel due to the pitting.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,971
Posts18,480,699
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.