Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by stantdm
Alaska maybe, tough to get work there for some.

If I were in that status and a hell of lot younger I would give some thought to hiring out as a ranch hand on a big ranch in Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming if they would allow me to hunt when I wasn't working.

If he wanted to live on Welfare Alaska might be his choice.

Yeah!

[Linked Image]

And so you don't have to pay for things like harbor fees.

[Linked Image]

And ride across 'the backyard' 200 miles or so to 'spend your foodstamps' at the 'store'. laugh

[Linked Image]

And getting stuck in 'ate-lane' traffic....

[Linked Image]

at rush hour...

[Linked Image]

I remember when fuel was cheap, about 15 years before this old patched together, '97 machine was built....$2.46 gallon then.

Assume what you like, most Alaskans use foodstamps with George, Abe, Andrew, etc on them, or VISA/Mastercard on the card. And no, you won't readily find anyone else to pay for your gas whether it is $6, $8, or $11 per gallon.

Twould have been funny to read Jack and his exploits with the Rifleman's Rifle: the M1 Garand however. (Now there's a walrus killing tool extraordinaire! laugh )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't remember the exact street address, but here is a photo of Jack's house on Prospect street.

TT

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Anyone that rcommends the Boise,Id area(the City to the Oregon border for the Waterefowl and/or pheasant hunting must have something there to sell you. That was gone more than 20 years ago..Save your $ and buy a club membership in the Colusa/Gridley area of the Sacramento Valley.. But if your kids get to go to Orofino H.S. you can tell the world they played for the Maniacs !!

C
C
Originally Posted by tsquare
Don't remember the exact street address, but here is a photo of Jack's house on Prospect street.

TT

[Linked Image]

Tom: It is 725 Prospect Avenue. The house looks much the same as when my parents lived there except for the ugly modern front door. Most of Dad's North American big-game heads and his reloading bench were in a room attached to the garage on the northeast corner of the house. His office/gun room was on the south side of the house on the second floor. -- Bradford O'Connor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was wondering why the Jack O'Conner Museum website said 7th & Prospect, when it should say 8th.
I used to drive by in the late 60's with my Grandpa. He would talk about who lived there and we went on to enjoy lots of articles and books written by Mr. O'Conner.
I think most sportmen in town were always pretty proud to have him and his works, be from Lewiston.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Idaho is changing alot since the days of Elmer and Jack and there choice of Idaho as a home.There is still some great bird hunting though if that is a priority of the outdoors and South West Idaho is still the ruler for birds although the Orofino area is getting much better..

IDAHO

This state gets its name from the Shoshone phrase ee dah how, which means, �the sun comes down the mountain.� This describes the state quite aptly, because the greater portion of this 84,000-square-mile state is, in fact, rugged mountains. It does, however, have rich soils in the northern and southern plateaus that produce wheat, barley, peas and alfalfa without irrigation. In the drier southern portion, irrigation canals carry water to the plains areas making that portion productive for similar crops. Those conditions spell �habitat� for upland birds.

�We had a fairly typical year last year for pheasants,� said bird biologist Tom Hemker, headquartered in Boise. �We harvested approximately 125,000 birds last year and that was probably down somewhat from previous years because it has been dryer than usual.� He continued, �The best hunting is generally in the southwestern portion of the state, but also in the valleys up around the town of Orofino.�

He went on to explain that the best hunting in the southwest is because of an active planting program in seven wildlife management areas: Fort Boise, Payette River, Sterling, Cortier, Market Lake, Mud Lake and C.J. Strike. These are mostly located by their associated names but hunters are encouraged to call the Idaho Fish and Game for those in the areas they hope to hunt. For example, the Fort Boise and Payette River WMAs are in the far west close to those towns, and the others are somewhat east in the southern end of the state.

Jayco

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
ClarkEMeyers: If I understood your post/inquiry correctly (and I am not sure I did) I would advise the avid Hunter with a 30/06 and a few bucks to "pick" SW Montana for his "abode".
Hunting hereabouts includes everything from Gophers to Moose.
I'll be more specific Moose, Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Mt. Lion, Mt Goat, Bighorn Sheep, Whitetailed Deer, Black Bear, Wolf, Wolverine and waterfowl, upland birds and Varmints to no end to Hunt!
Don't shoot the waterfowl or Pheasants though with your 30/06 - but within 50 miles of my home I have seen ALL of the aforementioned creatures.
In fact I went on a morning venture just today and we saw a Moose, several Elk, many Mule Deer, lots of Whitetailed Deer and at least 150 Antelope along with some Varmints and lots waterfowl.
I have NO idea why Jack O'Connor picked Lewiston, Idaho back when he did but for the avid Hunter on a budget nowadays, SW Montana IS the place to live.
And I have not even mentioned the WORLD CLASS fishing hereabouts - including fishing for native Grayling, Cutthroat Trout, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Burbot (freshwater Ling) and Brook Trout fishing (of which I will be partaking of tomorrow!).
I just heard on the radio that, due to the recent refinery fire, the price of fuel will be jumping immediately by 35 cents per gallon.
Travel costs are tough on budgets everywhere anymore I guess.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many thanks Brad. Memory is the second thing to go and I've forgotten what the first was.

TT

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tsquare
Many thanks Brad. Memory is the second thing to go and I've forgotten what the first was.

TT

Quick, look down. Did you zip up your pants? That's the first thing for men.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.