-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Getting ready for a BP hunt and have been doing 6 mile hikes with 40# packs. The bottom of my feet get really hot, which can and will cause blisters. I am wearing smartwool socks and Danner hiking boots.

Is there a powder or something to put into the boot to reduce the heat or something else that helps?

Maybe just time and miles will toughen the soles more.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Toughening your feet is certainly part of the process, but what are you using for boot insoles? Are your feet slipping around and creating friction, or are you just using too much insulation?

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Are you using a liner sock?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Bushcraft; I have recently been diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis and was able to get a foot mold and custom made inserts. The inserts have a leather type top covering, so I am not certain if I am slipping around causing friction or not. The Danner shoes are actually a regular fit and I have started wearing wide now that I am getting older (55). As far as the insulation, that may be it. The Danners are the GTX waterproof type and they do not breath and my smartwool socks are quite damp/wet at the hike's end. It's still very hot here in North Carolina.

Kcnboise; I am not wearing a liner. I never have, but could be something I need to do. What type of liner would be best(material/brand)? Is the liner just intended to wear with wool socks?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try a liner. I cannot wear any of my boots without liners, my feet sweat, are super hot and my socks get soaked. With liners I don't seem to have any of those problems. I have also gone away from smartwool socks but thats another story and I dont want to get into that with the die hard smartwool fans.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My feet sweat badly. I also have Plantar Facilitis.

I had insoles made by the podiatrist. However, while I wear them to work in my street shoes, I don't wear them in my hiking boots. Not saying it's the wrong thing to do, I just don't.
Like yours, the surface of my orthotic insoles is not breathable and I believe they would be very hot. They're hot in my street shoes. However, like I said, I've never worn them in my hiking boots.
I sometimes wear a very thin polypro sock then a Merino wool hiking weight sock. Sometimes I wear just the Merino.

I can't tell a lot of difference, my socks get wet regardless, however, I'd give a nod toward the liner sock option as being a little more comfortable to my feet. Can't say why, just that my feet seem to feel better, a little less tired with the liner.

Maybe try a hike without your custom orthotic insoles just to see if you have the same issues. An insole that is a little more breathable may just solve your problem. Then just wear your orthotic insoles in your everyday street shoes.

Last edited by snubbie; 08/12/12.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My feet haven't been too particular about type of liner sock, as long as it's not cotton or wool. I've used men's nylon dress socks, silk, polyester, and coolmax; all worked. You want the liner form fitting on your foot so that it does the sliding on your wool sock, instead of your skin sliding on the liner. Don't get them so tight that they cut off circulation, though; especially the tops on your calves.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Liner plus a good quality deodorant on your feet.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You mean anti-perspirant? Deodorants don't have the aluminum salts that stop sweat. That's what I've always used on my feet, anti-p that is.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Now you know why I don't use goretex boots unless it below 45F most of the time.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Take a knee; I also have wondered about the goretex lining and sweating feet. Its got to be a lot hotter, even if they claim they breath and wick away moisture.

When I ordered my Danner Pronghorns I got the uninsulated ones just for that reason. They are still too hot if its not cold weather.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Obviously everyone is different, but I have no problems with gortex boots. I'm wearing Crispi Kanada rated to 0F in 100F texas weather. Without liners it sucks, with liners is not bad. The type of liner makes a big difference. Best one I've found is Inijin performance sock liners. They are a god send.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003WWKXLE/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1&qid=1345411459&sr=8-1

Are you a big guy? The location you talk about getting hot makes me think so, but I've been wrong before smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 25 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,850
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.