Print Thread
Hop To
D
DB Bill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Was just on the Midway website and was checking their prices on the new scopes and saw there were two reviews on the Master Series scopes --- both negative.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just checked Midway and saw only one review - for a 2x7 32mm Pro-Hunter, and it was 3 stars, OK but not great. Which scope(s) did you see reviewed there?

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
DB Bill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Go to the web-site and type in Simmons..it will show all the scopes. I had only looked at some of the higher power models. The Aetec #917517 and the 3-10x44 #591817 both had negative reviews.

I did notice that #232408, 8595223 and 789884 had good reviews but they weren't scopes I had searched before.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am not sure I'd rely heavily on Midway reviews alone. I am shopping for a scope now, and a visit to Sportsmans Warehouse was worth 50 reviews. Simply comparing scopes side by side was so evident to me that I am pretty much decided on what I want.
-P

D
DB Bill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes and JB also gave them a very good review which is the reason I am/was considering them.

Passed along only as additional info...everyone needs to make their own choices.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Bill
I see interest in the Master Series is growing.
The other scope you may want to take a look at is the new Redfield - same technology, but the Redfield is USA made vs. the Chinese-made Simmons. If I hadn't been so anxious to get my new rifle up and running, I might have made a different choice, and waited for a Redfield. However, I am not displeased with the Simmons, but tomorrow will be my first chance to actually shoot the rifle/scope combo. I'll report here.

Also, take a look at this thread on the same subject.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/655389/an/0/page/0#655389

Joearcher
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I agree with PaulDaisy. I quit reading the Midway reviews base on one written on a Leupold VX1 (or maybe the Rifleman). The author wanted us to think he used it in combat in Iraq.
I trust the reviews here more.
Sometimes anonymity breeds dishonesty, in my opinion.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don't think the aetecs are available yet, me thinks me smells a rat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't go to Midway's site, because ordering from there is not practical for me (different country). However, if the "reviews" are from customers only, I'd put a lot more stock in John Barsness POSITIVE review than that of an unknown customer with unknown "credentials" to critique a scope. John does this for a wliving and is considered somewhat of an expert in optics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tom's right. There is only one review on the "master" aetec's at Midway, and it's under a scope that's listed as "not available".

If the fellow can't find the right scope in the listing to comment on, his review carries a little less weight, too. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here's my review of the Simmons Master Series ProHunter 3-9X40:

First order of business was to focus the scope. It has a small rubber ring on the ocular to turn for focusing. The first time I tried to turn it, the ring came off, so I left it off while focusing the scope. Not a good start, but a little rubber cement should fix that. Now I was faced with a decision - did I want the target (at 100 yards) in focus, or the reticle? Seems I couldn't have both, so I chose the middle route, leaning toward the target. I got it satisfactorily focused. Hmmn!

I did my initial sighting-in with Remington 140gr CoreLocts. After a couple of foulers, I moved the bullet strikes to 2" high, then fired a 3-shot group of about 3/4" The clicks were right on for distance and direction, and did not move with repeated firing. Better.

I cleaned the bore, changed the target, and switched to Hornady 140gr SSTs. Elevation was still 2" high, but was 1" to the left of the Rem ammo. I cleaned the bore again, fired 2 foulers, then a 1-1/8" group in a gusting wind. Good enough for deer hunting.

Bottom line: The ProHunter is not the best thing since sliced bread, but for $120, it will do.

Attached Images
674881-IM000367A.jpg (0 Bytes, 37 downloads)

Joearcher
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First order of business was to focus the scope. It has a small rubber ring on the ocular to turn for focusing. The first time I tried to turn it, the ring came off, so I left it off while focusing the scope. Not a good start, but a little rubber cement should fix that.

Don't feel too bad, Joe. The small rubber ring on the eyepiece slips off both of my Burris Fullfield II scopes all the time. And they cost a lot more than $120. Getting impatient waiting for the 4-14X Aetec Master, so am looking hard at the Sightron SII 3x12 non adj. objective. Like the eye relief and the fact that it is actually in stock! What a concept, Simmons should learn about it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Simmons is not even in the same class as Sightron.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just out of curiosity, which of the Master Series did you use to compare to the Sightrons?
Were there problems with them holding zero? Not clear enough at dusk and dawn?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The American Rifleman and Jon both gave good reviews to the new technology. After reading the detailed technical article in the Rifleman my engineers sense tells me they got it right. Meade optics are as good as it gets. I bought a New tech Blazer model 3-9. To cold and snowy to check out but the optics are clear and adjustments work very well. Focus was not a problem. In sum, I think Meade got it right and this new design will make some very expensive makers wince.

Life is short,paddle hard.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,761
Posts18,495,528
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.