Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone else finding signs of EHD in their deer herds yet.
I found these 2.
Game official thinks it is only going to get worse until we see a couple inches of rain, or a frost.

That might be quite a while.
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bill,
That does INDEED suck. Were they very near a water source? (or a semblance of water)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
yep
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think we'll see more soon as the bow hunters hit the timber.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Crud, was wondering if they'd be hit by it this year. Should get up to my land in the sandhills next weekend, think I'd better do a recon through a lease I'm on east of Lincoln also.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been poking around the farms in Fillmore, Saline, Seward, and York counties during the past month and have seen that deer are coming into the irrigated fields to drink, particularly in the corn fields that are still ridge-till irrigated, but haven't seen any dead. There is as little water in the creeks as I've seen in the 22 years that I've lived in NE.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son was out at Aurora this past weekend on a farm we hunt hanging stands and said the Platte was bone dry!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Still catching deer on the game cams on our farm here, but am curious to see how things are out in north central NE.

Will have to take trip to our farm here and check it out.

It might be tag soup this year. sick

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drought will almost always accentuate EHD

those deer are forced to seek water holes teeming with mud-borne Culicoides variipennis gnats.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For me the sad part is I have both these bucks on trail cams.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, wasn't it about 7 years ago that north central Nebraska got hit HARD with EHD and we lost 30% of the herd? Not sure if you were hunting up there then. Went back to a 30% of tags were buck only and the remainder were either-or permits for a few years and the population recovered.

Found this for eastern Nebraska:

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/2012/07/viral-disease-killing-deer-platte-river/

LINCOLN, Neb. � A viral disease is killing deer along the Platte River and possibly over a much wider area, according to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission. There have been reports of dead deer in and near the river in eastern Nebraska.

Epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) is a hemorrhagic disease caused by a virus. EHD is similar to bluetongue, another viral disease that can affect deer. It spreads from deer to deer by the bite of a small insect known as a midge. The disease quickly kills the deer through hemorrhaging within the body. A high fever may result, causing the deer to seek water to cool off. Dead deer usually are found in or near water. Deer may show bleeding from body openings, although they usually are in good body condition because of the quickness of the disease. EHD is not a threat to humans.

Game and Parks is interested in determining the extent of the disease and its possible effects on the deer population. The public should report any deer deaths that may be attributed to this disease to their nearest Game and Parks office: Alliance, 308-763-2940; North Platte, 308-535-8025; Kearney, 308-865-5310; Bassett, 402-684-2921; Norfolk, 402-370-3374; and Lincoln, 402-471-0641.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We lost 95% of the whitetail population along the Milk River up here to EHD a year ago. Devestating is an understatement.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the stastical return interval is about 7-8 years for those latitudes

2-3 years for southern US lats- however, the southern lats have less severe outbreaks due to immune resistant deer inside the typical life spans of whitetails

the 7-10 year recurrent outbreaks can be devastating if your deer popul is runnin around 5 years

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
We lost 95% of the whitetail population along the Milk River up here to EHD a year ago. Devestating is an understatement.

Uggghhhh. That's horrible.
Pat, I knew it was bad, just didn't know it was that bad.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The drought cycle is a little different, about 11 years from what I understand, though EHD isn't always totally connected to drought.

It still isn't near as dry here in Montana as the Yellowstone fire year of '88, but I'm hoping it doesn't get much drier. Back then I was guiding in the Bull Mountains of central Montana and the dust on the ranch roads was 3-4" deep. The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Dept. shut the archery and upland bird season openers down until some rain fell in mid-September. That might happen this year too if we don't see any significant precip by September 1st.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was phrasing my reply in regards to whitetails.

True, drought not always directly relates or equates to EHDV outbreaks, but if you're close to the return interval and a drought is persisting- especially in locale that is accustomed to average yearly rainfall amounts of 35+ inches, then yes- it tend to "accentuate" the severity.

Couple that with lowered immunity due to loss of usual food sources and long summered heat stressed pockets of deer will succumb and mortality itself will be greater.

I had them stacked up here in 2007, I was bush hogging skeletons. Weekly floaters were in my pond that August. 20+ consecutive days of >95f temps added to their misery.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never seen or heard of anything like that.

That's terrible!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
the stastical return interval is about 7-8 years for those latitudes

2-3 years for southern US lats- however, the southern lats have less severe outbreaks due to immune resistant deer inside the typical life spans of whitetails

the 7-10 year recurrent outbreaks can be devastating if your deer popul is runnin around 5 years

Is that you BSK?

"If you have to ask you can't afford it" ETN10
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Missouri is catching it pretty bad, too, the MDC is asking for anyone who finds a dead deer to report it to them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope Missouri keeps it to themselves. Heard reports of a deer kill up in the NE corner of OK that borders Missouri. Samples were taken but no word yet on what killed them.

[b][color:#3333FF]Link...![/color][/b]

Biologists collect sickly deer near Verdigris River
8/11/2012 5:07:13 PM

A sick deer was collected Friday night in an area where eight were found dead several days ago, according to a state wildlife biologist.

After residents reported finding dead deer and seeing sick deer in Rogers County along the Verdigris River just north of the Will Rogers Turnpike Bridge biologists documented 8 dead deer in and near the river Wednesday night and collected water samples that ultimately offered few clues as to the cause of the deaths. Biologists hoped to collect a fresh deer to test for possible viral infection.

Chief suspects as a cause for the deaths were toxicity from water that may have been tainted with blue-green algae or a common viral infection, epizootic hemorrhagic disease, known as bluetongue or EHD, which is spread by a small biting fly called a midge.

�We got a call last night close to dark and were able to collect a sick deer,� said Craig Endicott, northeast regional supervisor with the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.

He said a landowner checking on his cattle spotted a young deer that failed to flee with the rest of its herd and as it left the area it could not muster strength to cross the fence. �It was what we�ve been talking about, a deer that just doesn�t act right, doesn�t seem right,� he said. The landowner was instructed to kill the deer, Endicott said. �We got out there right away and collected samples to send to Stillwater,� he said.

Collected from the deer were lung, kidney, liver and blood samples, immediately packed in ice, he said. The samples will be tested at a lab at Oklahoma State University. Endicott said he was unsure how soon test results would be completed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.