Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
sleep sleepZZZZZZZZZZZZZ sleep

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
grinSure wish I knew someone that had a new rifle or two to tell us about.... cool

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm trying to sort out a tang sight for a Sevens, if that helps

It was supposed to be for a Stevens 44 "and similar rifles", but it detents at the wrong angle for a Favorite. I will make a new spring for it, to move the detent point.

smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What brand of sight? some sights like the Red River, you can adjust the angle of the staff. Others, you can sometime loosen the spring and move it. Still others all you need to do is file the detent to give proper angle

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
unknown maker, no markings on it; quality seems okay, though. Seems like a mid-range sight, with elevation and a small amount of windage adjustment. The spring is held in place by tension, in a recess. No big deal for me to make a new spring, so I'll try that first instead of filing the detent notch, just in case it really does fit a 44.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ranch13
grinSure wish I knew someone that had a new rifle or two to tell us about.... cool

I would...but you wouldn't want to hear about it!! grin sleep sleep

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
R
Wesson & Harrington 35-55 (a handi-rifle with a longer barrel and classic cartridge), not quite a classic. Chamber too tight for a groove size bullet, so shooting a .377 sized 235gr Ranchdog bullet. Either need to ream chamber or ?(I hear the old time paper patch chambers were tight, may have excuse to buy another bullet mould).

R
R
that's all I have to offer

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rmark
Wesson & Harrington 35-55 (a handi-rifle with a longer barrel and classic cartridge), not quite a classic. Chamber too tight for a groove size bullet, so shooting a .377 sized 235gr Ranchdog bullet. Either need to ream chamber or ?(I hear the old time paper patch chambers were tight, may have excuse to buy another bullet mould).

First, welcome to the 'Fire!

I am curious about the cartridge. Straight-wall or bottle-neck? I know the .38-55, but not the .35.55. I wonder if your rifle was set up to breech load the bullet, ala Schuetzen rifles, or really use a smaller diameter bullet?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What would be a good caliber to change a 25 RF Stevens 44 1/2 to? Between bore and ammo issues this old falling block needs a new lease on its shooting life. 22 mag is the current favorite, but the firing pin and ejector positions do not look promising. I think a 32 H&R or some such would be neat, just have to figure how to move the firing pin strike up a bit.

The gun is a solid piece, both mechanically and finish wise(50%) or better.

NRA Benefactor
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd shoot a PM to crossfireoops...if it can be done, he can do it (probably already has grin) and can help out with the details.

You certainly have my attention! I love the old Stevens rifles.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff
What would be a good caliber to change a 25 RF Stevens 44 1/2 to? Between bore and ammo issues this old falling block needs a new lease on its shooting life. 22 mag is the current favorite, but the firing pin and ejector positions do not look promising. I think a 32 H&R or some such would be neat, just have to figure how to move the firing pin strike up a bit.

The gun is a solid piece, both mechanically and finish wise(50%) or better.

The .32-40 was very popular in the 44 1/2. One could certainly load mild loads with it, or load up warmer, as well, for deer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am going to reline the barrel, thats a given. I want to keep it in a small economical, factory type cartridge. I am going on the send for a centerfire breech block, if I find it, that will have a bearing on the final caliber decision.
I'm relining a M92 in 32-20, thats what got the 32H&R idea started. the liners are available and reasonable, and I have the tooling. Still in the thinking stage...

NRA Benefactor
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'd shoot a PM to crossfireoops...if it can be done, he can do it (probably already has grin) and can help out with the details.

You certainly have my attention! I love the old Stevens rifles.

Ed

"probably already has",....

Thanks, Ed, .....yes, I have indeed, and it's probably worth quoting Frank DeHaas re: "Single Shot Gunsmithing", cause it's every bit of that. You screw something up, there's no 'ordering a new part' eek .

Long as it's a reasonably sound piece, there's no reason NOT to make a good center fire out of an existing rimfire action.

These pics were handy, while not 44 1/2s,(Win Low walls) they'll kinda iterate the evolution.In this particular case one had been a CF, the other a 32 RF,.....both got converted to .22RF,......but most all the same principals apply, either direction one's headed. Another nice thing about this sorta' conversion is that one can SUBSTANTIALLY increase his action's "safety margin". As an example, the conversions pictured below were fitted out as modified Niedner Mann safety firing pin set ups.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Picture immediately below, a precision built "center finder". I think the one I've got for Stevens is spooled up out of the shank of a take off barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff
I am going to reline the barrel, thats a given. I want to keep it in a small economical, factory type cartridge. I am going on the send for a centerfire breech block, if I find it, that will have a bearing on the final caliber decision.
I'm relining a M92 in 32-20, thats what got the 32H&R idea started. the liners are available and reasonable, and I have the tooling. Still in the thinking stage...

There's a SLICK way to properly cut the 6:00 Extractor cut in A Stevens re-barrel / re-line, using your lathe's tool post, and a Woodruff Key Cutter. In point of fact it's the ONLY way to get that cut 100% RIGHT.

Lemme know when you hit that stage, would be glad to outline the stunt for ya.

Wisner's has fresh, raw, oversized extractor blanks. I recommend milling in a recess and blanking off your old extractor cut BEFORE boring and reaming for your new liner,.....this will leave a "Clean Slate" to machine the new extractor cut into, versus having a sloppy wide space below the new liner.

Luck, amigo !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
R
Typo, 38-55.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rmark
Typo, 38-55.

Thought it might be, but I never know since there's things out there I haven't seen yet! grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ is the sound of large caliber subsonic lead. Last thing some critters hear I suspect.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ is the sound of large caliber subsonic lead. Last thing some critters hear I suspect.

And thus my vote for the "perfect bullet" as mentioned in another thread, 500gr., .458 cal cast bullet. grin

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

eekYeh and the snap of those things going thru the target is impressive or even more impressive is when a shot comes in just at the right spot to go thru the 2x4 target frame. shocked Even coming from the 1000 yd line it'll throw slivers all over the place.

www.historicshooting.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 23 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.