-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi not sure I post this hear,classifieds or where.
Where do you guys shop for you kids/young adult clothing,boots ect...
My boys need new boots this year but their feet grow so fricking fast they were in sz.7 mens in June and yesterday i bought them 8.5's. Don't want to go spend 400 bucks on boots and they wear them a month. Any suggestions? Same with pants and shirts.
Thanks
BBJ

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand your pain. I raised two boys who out grew their hiking boots before they could get them broken in.

That is the reason I put a propane heater in their deer blind. Good warm clothing is too expensive to buy new hunting clothes every season.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Possibly some of the higher quality thrift stores?

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never found a good answer. Best you can hope for is some other poor sap who spent good money on his kid's boots only to have the kid grow out of them who's willing to part with the almost new boot cheap. I gave my boy's boots away to one of his buddies each year. He's finally at the point now where he has been in the same size for a couple of years. Same thing went for clothing, just tried to shop the Cabelas Bargain Cave through the year so I didn't have more into the clothing than necessary.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
Possibly some of the higher quality thrift stores?

This! ^^ I buy most of my hunting clothing at the Salvation Army and Humane Society thrift stores.

Apparently A lot of families dump all of a relative's high dollar hunting gear at those places when a guy passes away. Now I wear almost new Filson stuff and 20 bucks the most I've paid for any single piece and that was for a double Mackinaw with the tags still on it.

So far I've picked up 3 of the single mackinaws and 2 of the doubles, A shelter cloth field coat and a pair of wool bibs and a new wool duck hunting type cap and I've got less than 100 bucks in all of it.

So, me and my grandsons have good wool coats for hunting and I figure I can get my money back on ebay pretty easily. smile

Maybe someday I'll find one of Filson's upland strap vests too.

Boots are a different story though, One of those boys wears 13E shoes and those are tough to find. He's 14 now so God only knows what size he'll need by the time he's grown. eek

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Just keep having more kids. After the 1st one, the 2d hand clothes are free.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have 4, 2 girls (14 and 10) and 2 boys(12 and 12) have passed boots/clothes down as far they will go (off to nieces and nephews). Need to redo gear and buy new ones. Thanks for the imputs,our sally's and goodwills get picked over so fast for that stuff I just find as good of deals online so guess thats where I will keep looking.
Thanks
BBJ

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
All of the above advice. Good boots are important but get them a size larger and with heavy socks and insoles may get you through two seasons. Work boots are usually priced better than hunting boots.

Don't get in to the latest Camo trends like I did. A sweat shirt and a Carhart jacket will work well except for extreme weather. A blanket or sleeping bag works well for stand hunting if you don't have ideal jackets.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Around here, KMart and Walmart carry usable hunting stuff. For my son, I got him some better quality base layer stuff, decent boots (400 gram thinsulate ones from Cabelas) and sweatshirt/hat/and gloves from one of the Marts. Walmart carries Walls insulated coveralls and bibs, they do the same job as Carhartt for hell of a lot less than Carhartt.

He was able also able to use some of my older stuff (you know, the stuff the wife shrunk so it didn't fit me anymore). And he had a good supply of sweatshirts/pants of his own. Boots were a one year deal. Fortunately, his first pair (9's) fit Grandpa, his second pair (10.5's) fit me and he's still wearing the 13's (2nd or 3rd year now).

Don't overlook yard sales or maybe Craig's list. Or put a wanted ad in the classifieds here.

Dale

Last edited by Dale K; 08/20/12.

This space for rent

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No I'm just looking to get basic stuff,we horse back hunt and hike,so I was just looking for decent boots at a good price,wool pants,coats and what not's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM me tonight, got a bag of coats, some wool pants, they're yours if you can use 'em.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Thanks I will do and gladdly help pay shipping or other costs.
Thanks
BBJ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 16Racing, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,346
Posts18,526,939
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.