Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Higher twist rate spins bullets faster...

HR IC

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No, not in my opinion. Higher twist rates do spin the bullet faster, but when when you consider the forward velocity of the bullet the extra amount of rotation of the bullet is minimal. Take a broadside shot on a deer, for example. Say you shoot it with a bullet out of a 1-10" twist barrel, obviously the bullet is going to rotate one revolution for every 10" it penetrates into the deer, now take a 1-8" twist, the difference in penetration per every rotation is minimal.

I just don't think it makes any difference unless you're talking a super fast twist with a fragile bullet that's on the verge of disintegrating already from the rotational velocity before it hits tissue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's not quite true, since bullets lose far more forward velocity than rotational velocity while in flight. Thus the rotation upon impact would be relatively high than at the muzzle, unless of course it was a point blank shot. Then of course it loses forward velocity at an even greater rate upon impact.

However, although the 'buzzsaw' effect has been 'advertised', I'm not sure that there is a sound basis for it having much if any effect. Considerations such as frontal area and penetration are much more important than bullet rotation in determining damage. So much so that you probably wouldn't be far off in simply ignoring differences in rotation in terms of a direct damage causing mechanism.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Faster twist rate is hard on the hips and lower back.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Faster twist rate is hard on the hips and lower back.
Especially if you're not wearing any shoes.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
It probably does bother strong construction mono bullets like the x bullet, but softer lead core could easily be more explosive and cause more meat damage

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Faster twist is one factor in bullet expansion.

In some cases, it will tear thin jacketed bullets apart in mid air.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a nut shell yes, I think that it'll take some smaller critters volunteering to sort thru it though.

And Bobs right as well, about it tearing thru but IME that's been more so with a throat that's rough and froggy.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think there is some merit to faster twists flinging more goo with varmint type bullets.
Doubt there is a worth while difference with mono's or bullets that have a jacket of some substance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think as much to consider as well is keeping a bullet nose forward vs. a 'marginal twist' designed for BR accuracy, allowing a bullet to tumble.

There was an informal test done by a guy I believe Robert Sherwood on 6.5x55 and 6.5 Rem Mag a few decades ago, there was less penetration but more damage to bullet and test media w/the faster twisted rifles.

Diff was not great, but there, on game hard to say.

Not sure it's significant on large game, but probably a small difference. Physics tells us rotational speed adds little KE to the bullet, but that's only part of the story.

JB might chime in, but if I wanted to see RED MIST on varmints, I'd rather spin fast w/light bullets myself. I know my 6BRs w/70TNTs were hell at 3500, in 8 twist bbls. Not sure how a 12 or 14 twist might do.

What cartridge, bullet, twist rate, and game are you thinking?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FVA
I think there is some merit to faster twists flinging more goo with varmint type bullets.
Doubt there is a worth while difference with mono's or bullets that have a jacket of some substance.

That is exactly the kind of jacket it tends to "help" smile Tough bullets and heavy jackets.But it just may not be as apparent.

Dober yes I guess that rough throat scours the thin jacket and makes it weaker

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,128
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.