-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Big Stick First of all, Pleased to meet you as I am new to this place. I have been reading a lot of your posts on the 338 ultra as of late and am thinking of creating my own lazer cannon. To my real queation is that I am almost sure that I want 338 ultra but I am also contemplating the 358 STA also. If you had to make a choice what would you choose? I do reload if that means anything. I feel that performance would be pretty much the same between the two except that the 358 makes a bigger hole. I know that the STA can push a 250 grainer at 3000 + fps so it is in the same speed zone as the 338 ultra. I would just like yours and others opinion on this. Oh one more thing is that I am never worried about being able to get ammo at any store anywhere kind of arguement as I reload and that is all I shoot so that just doesn't hold water for me. Thanks for your time.
<br>
<br>Pretty great place you guys have here.
<br>
<br>Brian

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 7STW's,30STW's(30Super/30-8mmRemmag)and very nearly built a 338STW and was torn in regards to the 358STA. About the time I was planning that,the 338Ultra was unveiled.
<br>
<br>Long story short,I went 338Ultra,after shooting a buddy's. It made speeds better than I had anticipated and that swayed me.
<br>
<br>To date,I have zero regrets and have quit thinking about another medium bore. The 338Ultra makes meaningful speeds,with very serious duty projectiles. It will do it all,be it near or far. I'm thinkin' about yankin' one of my 375H&H Ackley Improveds apart and building another 338Ultra. It would be lighter than my first and scaled to be an "all arounder".
<br>
<br>In my opinion the 338Ultra is as good as it gets.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PS,welcome aboard. This is a pretty damn nice place to call home..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First of all,Welcome to the big show.
<br>
<br>I dearly love the 338 Ultra cartridge. It is becoming quite popular and looks to be here for the duration. One thing to consider is correct Headstamped brass. Some countries require the brass headstamp to match the rifle,exactly.
<br>
<br>338 Ultra brass is widely available and relatively cheap. I have never seen 358STW Stamped brass offered for sale.
<br>
<br>Good luck

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Cheaha, I saw your picture of your 338 ultra and just about brought tears to my eyes. I guess its the same as when women get diamonds for a gift. But I was wondering if that was a custom or factory one. Sorry if that was an ignorant statement but I didn't know. But she was sure purty. I loved the stock on it too damn nice.
<br>
<br>Big stick, thanks for the reply I guess I will end up with the 338 ultra but in which maner? Do you or anyone have any opinions on the Remington Sendaro in 338 ultra. I also was wondering what the best factory rifle would be for the 338 ultra? I want synthetic stock no more wood please I have enough of them. Thanks again.
<br>
<br>Brian

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had several Sendero's and their short action versions(VS and VSSF's),I don't like the stock,but that is subjective. My Sendero in STW recoiled more(felt recoil,that is)than my Classic stocked STW of lighter weight. What I'm saying is,I don't think a Sendero in 338Ultra would be all that much fun to shoot,as compared to other styles available. But that is my tastes and reflects my build and ergonomic preferences.
<br>
<br>Were I to purchase a new 338Ultra,it would be in the LSS pattern. I'd sell that purty laminate stock before I scratched it and use those funds to defray the expense of a McMillan. My tastes wouls leads me to put that S/S beauty in a black/white swirled McMillan,in the Remington Classic pattern,wearing a Decelerator pad and S/S studs.
<br>
<br>That is my idea of functional,practical and elegance(grin)..............
<br>
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hee-hee, excuse me for being a little giddy! Just bought the 338 ultra a couple days ago. They are certainly around for a while. Few of the stores I checked could keep them in. About the only benefit I could see of waiting is it's a bit of a kicker and it shouldn't be too long before a few start popping up on the used market. I couldn't wait [Linked Image].
<br>
<br>Careful... Sticks a baaaaaad influence (grin).

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was kind of thinking of getting the sendero and changing the stock on it to a McMillan of some sort. I love cheek piece on my stocks as they fit me best of all. Then put a decelerator pad on it and finish it off. Hey do you have a picture of the LSS version as I have never seen it before? But what do you think of my idea of the sendero project?
<br>
<br>You guys with all the 338 ultra ultra ideas in my head will get me banned from the computer by my wife LOL.
<br>
<br>
<br>Well let me know what you think
<br>
<br>Brian

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
<br>
<br>Thanks, mine started out as a Rem.S/S 700BDL and I made a piecemeal Custom Rifle out of it. The stock is a McMillan HTG(M40A1) that has a Gray/Black marble Swirl molded in finish,the barrel is a Douglas Premium S/S #4 contour finished @26".
<br>
<br>The McMillan stock fits me perfectly. It has less "felt" recoil than my 338winMag(A-Bolt) that I recently traded off.
<br>
<br>I have shot a buds 300winmag Sendero and it has more felt recoil than I wanted. That particular stock doesn't fit me at all but you might be different. Good luck

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
<br>
<br>As far as utilizing the S/S Sendero's barreled action in 338Ultra,I think that it is a hell of a deal. You can get $150 for that take off stock,in seconds.
<br>
<br>That much barrel diameter somewhat diminishes your options in stocks,but that is no big deal. If employing a Sendero barreled action in 338Ultra,I'd give SERIOUS thought to the aforementioned HTG(M40A1)pattern. Fact is,that would likely be my first pick.
<br>
<br>http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700lss.htm That's the "LSS Channel"...............

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
James that is what I am thinking of doing. peacemeal a sendero like stock and barrel to get what I really want. I was thinking of A 26 inch Hart Barrel I am not really sure what all the contour barrels mean and what is good but then have a McMillan stock of some sort to finish it off. But I am still open to suggestions.
<br>
<br>Brian

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's hard to argue with the 338 Ultra's blend of speed,bullet weight,trajectory and punch. If one is put together properly the accuracy will amaze you. Here is a few 3 shot groups @ 100yds;
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]

James

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
James, One word is SWEET my friend. I would love to try that pupy on a moose. and see who wins. HA HA lol
<br>
<br>Brian

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
445 Supermag,
<br>If you purchase a Sendero wring it out a little before you decide to use it for parts. I have a 338 ultra in the Sendero model, yes you feel the recoil but it's not that bad. With Federal Premium 250 grain Trophy bonded I'm getting an average velocity of 2970 and 3-4 inch groups at 300 yards. I used this load to take a 6x6 elk last October in New Mexico and penetration and wound channel were very impressive. I have two Senderos and have had great results from both with the factory installed H-S stock and Remington barrel. Just some extra thoughts.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Rk< thanks for the reply. I do plan on wringing it out quite a bit before I do anything. You got to love those TBBC. Don't tell Big stick as I feel they are the best bullet out there. I know he is a Barnes X man and I don't want to get on his bad side being that I am new and would love to keep getting his advice in the future.
<br>
<br>Brian

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You don't want to pay any attention to me,I seem to love everything that others hate.
<br>
<br>Use what works best for ya'................

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (6mmbrfan, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 19 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,964
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.