Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

Subarus have had many issues with head gaskets otherwise would take look at them.

Originally Posted by Hemi
First off, are you looking for an SUV or some pansy grocery getter with AWD? To me an SUV must have 4X4 capabilities. Whoever mentioned SUV with 2WD, turn in your man card. 2WD SUV, WTF?
So, being a real SUV like Suburban, Grand Cherokee, LandCruiser, or something similar. 30MPG Blah! Get real. Plus when you are with the boys and you start talking about how great your MPG is, you may also find yourself talking about interior decorating and if your pants make you look fat.
Now, if you are just looking for a good AWD car or something safe on slick/snowy roads, then ask for that. Get a Subaru Impreza or Outback, they will get you 30MPG.
CRV an SUV, HA! I think the axles are made from toothpicks.
Originally Posted by Hemi
First off, are you looking for an SUV or some pansy grocery getter with AWD? To me an SUV must have 4X4 capabilities. Whoever mentioned SUV with 2WD, turn in your man card. 2WD SUV, WTF?
So, being a real SUV like Suburban, Grand Cherokee, LandCruiser, or something similar. 30MPG Blah! Get real. Plus when you are with the boys and you start talking about how great your MPG is, you may also find yourself talking about interior decorating and if your pants make you look fat.
Now, if you are just looking for a good AWD car or something safe on slick/snowy roads, then ask for that. Get a Subaru Impreza or Outback, they will get you 30MPG.
CRV an SUV, HA! I think the axles are made from toothpicks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Honda CR-V 2wd is rated at 31 MPG highway, AWD is rated 30 MPG highway.

My girl friends CRV (2010 4WD) gets 29-33 quite often if she keeps it under 65

70 it starts to drop and hit 75-80 and any wind and it's low-mid 20's. Little four banger really starts to work than.

I know the difference between 4wd and AWD, but in this vehicle I don't know why it's listed as 4wd as it acts like AWD to me?

For a small sport ute it handles poor road conditions very well and is quite roomy. She loves it and I don't mind it at all.

edit: (Regarding Subaru's) I had a Subaru Outback for a company vehicle for a couple years. Put close to a couple hundred thousand on it. I was on the road a couple days a week, doing 500-700 miles each day. 2/3's of that was Interstate, doing 70-75. Averaged 24-26 mpg.

I know the car has a gay persona, but it was a wonderful vehicle on poor roads. I could drive 80 on gravel and it never felt like you were going to break free. On icy roads, I don't know if I've ever driven a vehicle that I felt more confident driving in those conditions.

That job didn't matter if it was a perfect day or a miserable day, I had to get my product out.

I probably wouldn't buy one for myself, but wouldn't hesitate for a family vehicle.

Last edited by cal74; 08/21/12.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you sure about the Subaru head gasket issues? I'm kind of leaning towards a WRX, and the only negatives I've heard about the engine have to do with the open deck block when used in very high output form.

As for the CRV and Highlander, my wife has had both. Since her normal driving is mostly highway, she was getting around 27-28 in her 2001 CRV, and currently about 23 in the 2008 Highlander. The Highlander is just about twice the car as the CRV though. Both handle moderate snow and Forest Service roads no problem, but they are definitely not true 4WD vehicles.

Scott

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 08/21/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Are you sure about the Subaru head gasket issues? I'm kind of leaning towards a WRX,

Check into insurance on the WRX, you might be surprised. The guy who I worked for and supplied me with the Outback bought a WRX and sold it not much later. Loved the car, but the insurance was nuts and he was in his late 30's early 40's at the time.

Life is just one damned thing after another
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Of course the small cross over SUV 's not 4 wd and they won 't have the ground clearance either. I have towed my smaller drift boat with CR v. Of course I can't pull it 70 mph up a steep grade but does OK. I beet the crap out of mine the last year I had it and it kept going. Replaced drive belt at 100, 000, set of brakes and reg oil changes was all it needed.

My Mom has had 3 CRV 's in N WI and did fine in Winter driving. Zero problems. She traded them in at around 80, 000 and great resale values. No trouble selling a used especially with gas approaching 4 $ a gal.

Based upon personal experience CR V does fine if you sportsman for reasonable outdoor use. I take the Tacoma when I go deep up in the mountains

I know people like the Highlander but I never see them off black top. Sure

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would look very strongly at a Subaru Outback. I get 29.5-30 all around in my 2010 limited and got 32.5-33 on my trip to florida in it. They are very roomy and you would be suprised what you can fit in them considering the footprint. Also they have very good ground clearance and will go anywhere.

I've also not heard of the head gasket issue but it could have been something from long ago. I wouldn't pass up on the best built car for the money out there because of an issue subaru had in the 90's.. There is a reason that Subaru has the highest owner loyalty.

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A lot of the vehicles mentioned in this thread are car platform based crossovers. To me, an SUV has a low range in the transfer case and has some off-road ability. I won't say body on frame truck based because there are exceptions like the Jeep Gran Cherokee. If you're looking for a true SUV that gets 30mpg, I think about the only option is a diesel Volkswagen Touareg.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mercedes ML Diesel. 30 on the highway. Traction control/AWD is AMAZING in the snow/slippery stuff. Turbo engine never knows it's at 10K feet. Mercedes diesel will run forever. They can be picked up pretty reasonably used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
like road/front tire noise while u drive ?..get u a crv.....real life mpg in a subrau forster awd, just this morin is 26.6 - 38 miles one way to town 70mph up and down hills. also drove a rav4 it stuck to the ground better than the subaru on a slick snow covered parking lot,even in a hard turn.. ..felt tighter...but i did not "fit" in it as my tail bone to eyeball distance ...had me looking thur the viser.......if u get the subaru- be sure and get and put the "ducks unlimited" and "browning buck mark" stickers on the back window ...... so u don't catch the gay......... laugh

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My wife has an 2008 Rave It averages 28 MPG overall....

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Been looking at a few used Acura RDXs.The only thing that gives me the willlies is the turbo.My sister in-law has an 09 CRV.She is averaging 24mpg on mostly back roads.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
With the CRV having AWD, its probably the best bet.

I have an '03 CRV with AWD and is a 5 speed.

I expect that car to see upwards of 300K miles before I'm done with it

I'm also driving an Explorer with the V6. After a tuneup and replacing maintenance parts I'm up to 17mpg. yippeee!

Last edited by KFWA; 08/21/12.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Are you sure about the Subaru head gasket issues? I'm kind of leaning towards a WRX,

Check into insurance on the WRX, you might be surprised. The guy who I worked for and supplied me with the Outback bought a WRX and sold it not much later. Loved the car, but the insurance was nuts and he was in his late 30's early 40's at the time.

Yep, the quotes I've seen are not cheap, and I'm in my 50's, married, kidded up... I've read that the STI is actually cheaper to insure, as the higher price acts as a barrier to younger, more aggressive drivers. I will not state this categorically though, as I've not run quotes on an STI.

Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Been looking at a few used Acura RDXs.The only thing that gives me the willlies is the turbo.My sister in-law has an 09 CRV.She is averaging 24mpg on mostly back roads.

The new RDX dumps the turbo and goes with the 3.5L V-6. 275 HP, selective cylinder management system. Its almost the same mpg as a 4-banger in the CRV and is less expensive than the Highlander and has a lot more power than both. They went back to the old AWD system from the 2006 MDX (and the Pilot).

I have a rule about how to figure out what vehicle to buy. Don't ask about their opinion of the vehicle. Just ask the mechanic what to look out for:

Toyota: Have they done the timing belt and water pump?
Honda: Have they done the timing belt and the water pump?
Acura: Have they done the timing belt and the water pump?
Subaru: Have they replaced the head gasket yet?
Nissan: How's the plastic holding up in the interior? Have you tested the 4WD switch?
Dodge: Have they replaced the tranny yet??
Ford: Is it the 7.3L diesel? If not, then pass.
Chevy: "How do the valves sound? "Any signs of overheating?"

Now you know what usually goes wrong or goes out. Toyota's, Honda's, Acura's are bullet-proof. Subarus are pretty good, but they just just write a head gasket in for a 100K maintenance.

Nissans are pretty good, but all the switches and handles fall apart because they are cheap and they have a problem with the electrical 4wd switch.

Domestics? If I were buying a big truck, I'd get the Ford with that big 7.3L Diesel. I'll never buy anything from Guv'ment motors and Dodge trannies are crap. Any questions?

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

The new RDX dumps the turbo and goes with the 3.5L V-6. 275 HP, selective cylinder management system. Its almost the same mpg as a 4-banger in the CRV and is less expensive than the Highlander and has a lot more power than both. They went back to the old AWD system from the 2006 MDX (and the Pilot).

I have a rule about how to figure out what vehicle to buy. Don't ask about their opinion of the vehicle. Just ask the mechanic what to look out for:

Nissan: How's the plastic holding up in the interior? Have you tested the 4WD switch?

Now you know what usually goes wrong or goes out. Toyota's, Honda's, Acura's are bullet-proof. Subarus are pretty good, but they just just write a head gasket in for a 100K maintenance.

Nissans are pretty good, but all the switches and handles fall apart because they are cheap and they have a problem with the electrical 4wd switch.

Domestics? If I were buying a big truck, I'd get the Ford with that big 7.3L Diesel. I'll never buy anything from Guv'ment motors and Dodge trannies are crap. Any questions?

I have no clue why Acura screwed with a turbo. Shoulda stuffed a six in it in the first place!

Your sentiments pretty much mirror mine on the mechanical question list.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
I know people like the Highlander but I never see them off black top. Sure

Our family might be the exception. My Frontier 4x4 won't work for the four of us, and a Suburban/Expedition is too much of a price to pay for the amount of time it would be used off the pavement. So the Highlander gets used for camping trips/mild exploring. It's definitely not for the Rubicon or Fordyce, but it crosses creeks, cruises through mild amounts of snow, and works fine on roads/trails in the "3" range of most 4x4 associations 1-10 scales.

As for power differences between the Highlander and RDX, maybe there was some in the past, but our 2008 Highlander has 270 HP out of a 3.5l V6. I seriously doubt that the extra 5 HP in an RDX would mean getting its doors blown off.

I'd agree on the assessment of the Nissan interior electrical components. That is my one big gripe with my 2000 Frontier. But for the first 10 years, NO problems. No other issues with the interior.

Scott

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Scott,
Is your Highlander a seven passenger?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sure is, though we've only used the rear seat a couple times. We rarely have need for the extra passengers, and it is a pain in the rear to have to move kids seats. Can't say that I'll make "7 passenger" capacity a requirement in a future vehicle. 5 plus good cargo room seems to work for us.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

I have no clue why Acura screwed with a turbo. Shoulda stuffed a six in it in the first place!

Your sentiments pretty much mirror mine on the mechanical question list.

The turbo was actually an ingenious design- very simple, but as with most vehicles that use a turbo to gain torque to move a heavier vehicle, you have to keep your foot in it to get the performance, which kills your mpg. I kept hoping they would stick it in an AWD TSX, but they went with the small V-6 instead. It's funny, because Acura is jumping out of turbos when everybody else is jumping back in.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 08/21/12.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My concern regarding the turbo is weather or not it would affect the longevity of the engine.

In a former life I managed a used car dealership.I well remember the issues with turbos.(Mostly on domestic cars.)

I was talking to a mechanic who works exclusively on Asian vehicles.He just did a turbo on a Subaru to the tune of $3500.00!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,120
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.