Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruger700
I have a Colt coltsman in 30-06 that shot a 5 inch pattern when I bought it in 1990. Relieved the barrel, shot sub inch groups, so , I oiled the stock and went shooting. Back to 5 inch pattern. Checked, sure enough the tung oil caused the wood to swell, relieved the barrel, re-oiled the stock, with plently of clearance. It still shoots a sub inch group depending on how well I am doing. So some sucky guns can be salvaged while others just have no hope.
I had one in 300 H&H,it was a good shooter

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Beretta 950 Jetfire. "Beretta Bite" from the slide and failure to extract on nearly every round, and a PITA to reassemble. Groups were about 8" at 15 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple of older Ruger M77. One was 257 roberts LW. I really like M77's so I stuck with it a long time before giving up. One time out it would shoot desent,next time out it would shoot like a shotgun. I also had a couple Ruger single actions revolver that they called "clean up guns". Never again.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
very nice Steve! I really like the NSR handguard, now I "need" a new rifle

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mine was a "custom" rifle I put together by a guy I guided with one season. His buddy (another guide) had two of his rifles, Mauser type action fiberglass stock powder coated blah blah. They fit very well shot very and appeared to be very well put together. The metal work was done by a very well know and respected gunsmith, this gentleman did the stocking and powder coating etc. I picked up an old parker hale for the action old enough to have the thumb groove and stripper clip slot.

The rifle in .280 AI arrived looking lovely fitting well. When load testing it sZhot very well with 160g ABs. The feed ramp had NOT been adjusted for the steeper angle of the AI shoulder and any rounds feed from the magazine have to pounded through the action with such force the brass is marred and accuracy goes to schit, maybe the bullets are getting banged out of alignment?

I still took it hunting because it fit so well. First hunt no problems, 3 deer. Hunting whitetail the front sling stud pulled out, still got my buck. Fixed that with acra glass. Next season missed a 200 yard shot at a standing doe front a very stable position. WTF? Next morning checked zero 8+ inches high at 100 yards, then I noticed the crack from the tang right down through the wrist. Paid a smith to fix the crack and relieve around the tang to avoid future breakage. Still doesn't feed worth a crap. Still fits beautifully.

So do I rework the ramp and possibly ruin the action? The rifle feeds conventional easy and slick, so I will re-barrel this to a 6.5-06 or a 6mm Remington. By the time I am done I will have sunk more money into this rifle than it would have cost to buy a Cooper.

Real learning experience real suckage. GRF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by horse1
Mini 14's suck balls too. They cycle well enough but their factory trigger is crap and out of the 15 dad had over the years the best one shot 1.5" @ 100yds, the rest were much much worse.

This one doesn't suck...

DF

[Linked Image]

100 yd. target

[Linked Image]

And at only 2x-3x the cost of a base-model from S&W or DPMS that'll shoot just as good without the 9-15mo wait @ the gunsmith's shop.

Not far off on the numbers. This Ranch Rifle had been carried for years by my cow hands, used to shoot a few pickup loads of 'yotes over a number of years. I even had it Parkerized to help it stand up to the wear. They were pretty rough on it and when I got it back, it was fully "depreciated", the barrel was toast.

So, I didn't count the base cost. The custom work was around $900 at Accuracy Systems for a full house, top of the line custom refit. They did three point action bedding, two stage match trigger, match barrel and proprietary muzzle brake.

I like the way it handles more than an AR, which I also have a couple of. Just never warmed up to them.

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by GRF
Mine was a "custom" rifle I put together by a guy I guided with one season. His buddy (another guide) had two of his rifles, Mauser type action fiberglass stock powder coated blah blah. They fit very well shot very and appeared to be very well put together. The metal work was done by a very well know and respected gunsmith, this gentleman did the stocking and powder coating etc. I picked up an old parker hale for the action old enough to have the thumb groove and stripper clip slot.

The rifle in .280 AI arrived looking lovely fitting well. When load testing it sZhot very well with 160g ABs. The feed ramp had NOT been adjusted for the steeper angle of the AI shoulder and any rounds feed from the magazine have to pounded through the action with such force the brass is marred and accuracy goes to schit, maybe the bullets are getting banged out of alignment?

I still took it hunting because it fit so well. First hunt no problems, 3 deer. Hunting whitetail the front sling stud pulled out, still got my buck. Fixed that with acra glass. Next season missed a 200 yard shot at a standing doe front a very stable position. WTF? Next morning checked zero 8+ inches high at 100 yards, then I noticed the crack from the tang right down through the wrist. Paid a smith to fix the crack and relieve around the tang to avoid future breakage. Still doesn't feed worth a crap. Still fits beautifully.

So do I rework the ramp and possibly ruin the action? The rifle feeds conventional easy and slick, so I will re-barrel this to a 6.5-06 or a 6mm Remington. By the time I am done I will have sunk more money into this rifle than it would have cost to buy a Cooper.

Real learning experience real suckage. GRF

Tuition in the school of life.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got to be a Rem Nylon 22 - a real jam-o-matic

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rem 11-87. Nothing good about mine.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had an 11-87 SuperMag that I sold at a loss. Would not run with the cheapo "dove loads" no matter what. Even ran 7-8 boxes of high-brass loads through it after it came back from Remington. My father and brother both have 3" versions that hum right along with whatever you feed them.

Had an old Mossberg 500 20ga pump that hung up on the first shell ever fired. It sucked most hardily.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
We have all had them.Something you really had to have and was the biggest disappointment on your life.One I had was a Steyr Pro Hunter.It had a sand blasted finish that just attracted rust.The stock was some kind of injected plastic that wobbled all over the place.On a good day you could get a 3" to 4" group.The throat was so long that Linda Lovelace was jealous.Really a piece of crap.I took it to a Gunsmith friend who could find nothing wrong with the bore or crown.He said it would be impossible to bed and advised me to send it down the road.I did. laugh
So glad I read this.. scratch one from
the wish list!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leemar28
Jenning's J-22 Worst jamming short gun ever !

My F-I-L came home with a 'deal' on a Jennings. Showed his buddy who said "niiiice". He showed me and I was silent. I said why don't we see what folks on the internet are saying. I will never forget the first comment I read- or the response it got from the three of us. It said," This is a good pistol....to throw at a bad guy while you go and get a good pistol".

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First gun Dad got me was a south american 12 gauge single shot, full choke, short stock, no recoil pad. I weighed about fifty pounds and the l.o.p. was too long. I don't even miss it for sentimental reasons and neither does my right bicep.

. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dogzapper

nice rifle

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanner
Don't most guys just call guns that suck "sold"? laugh

Note to self: Never buy a gun from Tanner. wink grin

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
my rifles have more nuts than yours lol

I think the correct phrase is - Savage shooters have bigger nuts. shocked

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
High-Standard's .22 conversion kit for the 1911. Picked one up for fun about 10 years ago. It shot 3 rnds and jammed. Took it back to the shop I bought it at. They sent it back took them 2 months to get back to me. And I quote "The extractor broke because you manually ejected a live round. Its designed to eject spent caseings." WTF

Not my experience, but brother had a Winchester model 94 .22 that thing would jam constantly right out of the box.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My suckiest gun was a Star Firestar in .40 S&W. The thing was a nickel plated canoe anchor. Numerous, as in too many to count, failures to return to battery on a loaded chamber. This with ball, HP, jacketed or cast. The only thing that I got to run consistently was a 175gr cast SWC of all things, but the OAL had to be just right.

I eventually called Interarms, the importer of this POS and they had me send it in. A short wait later a brand new gun appeared on my doorstep, which shocked the heck out of me since I don't have a FFL. New gun, same as the old-probably about 80% reliability.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Handi Rifles.

I'm a glutton for punishment, but I had three wooden stocked ones and a black plastic jobbie. I wanted to like them, but they just sucked.

The concept was good. A mechanically simple, inexpensive, single shot rifle. The only one that shot acceptably was the plastic stocked 308. The rest were mired with bedding problems, two of the rifles - a 30-30 and a 45-70 - kept kicking the scope mounts loose and a 22 Hornet that the lock up wasn't square.

The shooting gods sent me a loud and clear message about them - stay away!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

181 members (12344mag, 44mc, 7887mm08, 160user, 1936M71, 22 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 999 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,645
Posts18,533,734
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.