Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes we just don't know the stories behind the faces we see everyday.My neighbor's wife recently took in her beloved elderly aunt from Georgia to live with them as she has health problems and needs out patient care but above all just to have her close....Lets just call her "Billie".

Last Saturday morning I brought them some fresh tomatoes and was invited in for a chat and morning coffee.I had seen Billie on the the front porch in the evenings after it cooled down reading and enjoying her new home in the country but never really got to know her with my busy schedule so thought it was about time to be neighborly...so I pulled up a chair.

This frail 80's something of a woman begins to tell me about her 24 years in the military.She enlisted in the AF did four years,went to school,got her degree in nursing then commission and finally joined the Army for 20 more.Three Vietnam tours as an ER nurse [decorated] and CO of a MASH type field hospital north of Ton Son Nhut.Spent time in Germany,Brooke Army Medical Center at Ft.Sam Houston TX and finally her remaining years at Walter Reed.

Needless to say there's a very special lady living down the lane whose heart has always been with care for the troops..I am so honored to have crossed paths with such a humble American hero.God Bless her for all those she's helped for those many years in the service of her country.

Just thought I needed to share this with you.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You can't pick your neighbors so I'm glad to hear of your great fortune! Tell her thanks for her service from me too....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One never knows do they? Thank her for me Woody.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
We will find that generation irreplaceable and invaluable. Tell her there's a lot of guys you know who very much appreciate her service.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Thats a great American. Thanks for sharing that here.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
a tip of my hat as well

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cool

"Hey hold my beer while I shoot this buck"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
"Three Vietnam tours as an ER nurse"...

Puts her on the absolute top rung of the ladder of people who I truly revere...

More than she could ever know....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was stationed at Ft. Sam just after Viet Nam. (1973 and 1974) I met briefly several older female nurses, mostly the rank of Major and Lt Col. At the time there were several full birds but they were few and far between and as I recall there was one female General on the post.

That meant some of them had probably been around since at least Korea. I was fortunate I never had to be treated in any of the facilities but my guess is I would have been in good hands. Great find Flyboy. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thank you for sharing this, Woody.

I know it isn't enough, I know, but please pass on my thanks.

Some nurses took care of my Dad during his two tours over there and he desperately needed them. She may have been one of them for all we know.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
I was stationed at Ft. Sam just after Viet Nam. (1973 and 1974) I met briefly several older female nurses, mostly the rank of Major and Lt Col. At the time there were several full birds but they were few and far between and as I recall there was one female General on the post.

That meant some of them had probably been around since at least Korea. I was fortunate I never had to be treated in any of the facilities but my guess is I would have been in good hands. Great find Flyboy. kwg

Saw her scrap book in those years she was a major..you just may have seen her.She retired as an LTC.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A good friend of ours took his mother into his home for her last fourteen years. I got to know her real wee and loved to listen to her stories. She spent the war in Spokane, WA as an Air Force A&P working on old Stearman trainers.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Woody, Next time you see this wonderful lady, Please give her a hug and say thank you for me.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sounds like a wonderful neighbor. mine, however, are not... frown

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Woody,......

Those 'Morning Vegetable deliveries' to our elders are never unrewarding, are they ?

You REALLY struck the jackpot with that one, though.

Please thank her for me, and give her my fondest regards.

Greg

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This veteran sends his thanks. Best wishes to her.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You are a lucky man, Woody? Not many of us do what you do!

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having experienced the attentions of Vietnam Nurses having been WIA twice,Give the Lady a hug and a kiss on the cheek for me. THEY WERE ABSOLUTELY ANGELS!!! I would do battle for any of them anytime,anyplace.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The next time you talk to her tell her that she has a great admirer in Alabama and give her a big thank you for me. smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Sometimes we just don't know the stories behind the faces we see everyday.My neighbor's wife recently took in her beloved elderly aunt from Georgia to live with them as she has health problems and needs out patient care but above all just to have her close....Lets just call her "Billie".

Last Saturday morning I brought them some fresh tomatoes and was invited in for a chat and morning coffee.I had seen Billie on the the front porch in the evenings after it cooled down reading and enjoying her new home in the country but never really got to know her with my busy schedule so thought it was about time to be neighborly...so I pulled up a chair.

This frail 80's something of a woman begins to tell me about her 24 years in the military.She enlisted in the AF did four years,went to school,got her degree in nursing then commission and finally joined the Army for 20 more.Three Vietnam tours as an ER nurse [decorated] and CO of a MASH type field hospital north of Ton Son Nhut.Spent time in Germany,Brooke Army Medical Center at Ft.Sam Houston TX and finally her remaining years at Walter Reed.

Needless to say there's a very special lady living down the lane whose heart has always been with care for the troops..I am so honored to have crossed paths with such a humble American hero.God Bless her for all those she's helped for those many years in the service of her country.

Just thought I needed to share this with you.

Well God Bless her... I've had the privilege and honor to know a bunch of women like that...in the military and reserves...

I recall Col Tolefsrud when I was with the 5501 General Hospital Unit... she finished Nursing School in 1935 and went into the Army... went thru WW 2, Korea and Vietnam for several tours...after 30 something years active duty, she returned home to Minnesota, and became a Professor at the Nursing Program at St Olaf ( IIRC) in Northfield MN... she taught there and stayed in the Reserves... she and I both ETS'ed in December 1982....

one of the kindly-est most gracious gals you'd ever want to meet...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (808outdoors, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 907brass, 14 invisible), 15,082 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,909
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.