Print Thread
Hop To
A
ajHilgy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Looking into buying one for my wife. She likes it and shoots it pretty good for a newbe. She likes another one also but it is rather pricy for us. Any thoughts from experience on likes, dislikes or other suggestions? Thanks.

Art
In life you will find that constants aren't and variables won't.
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If you plan on heavy usage, the alloy frame may give you grief. I have a cracked frame on one and the hairpin springs work out of the recesses that they are stamp swaged into. There are other areas that have become peened. The E clip that retains the trigger bar has been lost a couple of times. They work fine, just don't hold up to a high round count type use.

I am aware of at least 4 here abouts, and they all have one issue or another, most easily repaired, and the importer in N.J has parts at reasonable cost.

NRA Benefactor
A
ajHilgy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
SOFMatchstaff: Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure my wife would be a high volume shooter but problems like this can unsettle her fast. Maybe her first choice (altho pricy) is the better. She really likes the Sig P238.

Art
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If she likes the Sig P238, also have her try the P232.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know 'anecdotal' experences are helpful and appreciated ...

My own experience with the Bersa Thunder 380 has been 100% positive regarding -
quality, dependablity, function, accuracy, etc ... and you can't beat the price.

I really recommend that you 'google' -Bersa Thunder Reviews- and read what users/owners, gun writers/testers have to say about this pistol. The Bersa Thunder has long held a reputaton for receivng very 'positve' reviews and testimonies.

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

(Review by Jeff Quinn.)

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a 380, have her try the Kel Tec P3AT. Wifey of mine loves ours, much easier to carry and conceal and uber reliability. To my thinking it is the ultimate 380 pocket pistol going right now and usually only $250.00 +/- a little for a new one out the door.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
ajHilgy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
safariman: My wife has tried the Ruger LCP and didn't like it. I assumed the P3AT was very similar so skipped it. She has a hard time pulling some slides back (like my G26), that is one big reason she liked the P238 and secondly the Bersa. I'm in no rush to "pull the trigger" on a purchase until I know we have this right. Renting has worked out very well and has taught her some important principles.

Art
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In selecting a handgun for a gal, where hand strength might be an issue, my only problem with the Bersa is the blowback action. The recoil spring is usually heavier and the recoil itself a little snappier.

The weight of the slide is also a factor, but generally in similar sized pistols the locked breech will seem a little smoother than a blowback. The P238 is a locked breech which could be one of the reasons your wife prefers it.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We (the wife actually) bought one because she liked the way it fit her hand. We haven't run a lot of ammo through it but it hasn't one single failure of any kind, not even when brand new.

I'd buy another.

Dale

This space for rent

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nobody has to pull the slide back on a nice .38 snubbie.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (257 roberts, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 43 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,370
Posts18,527,370
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.