Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't really know anything about scopes (yet),

I saw some Simmons on sale for prices so cheap it makes me wonder if they are actualy quality, or are just cheap'os made in China?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never seen a Simmons scope that was worth a chit. Haven't looked thru the newer ones though...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was gonna say they excell at floatation.

In fairness,the old Sillywet 6.5-20x weren't bad,for paperly pursuits........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have had good and bad in Simmons scopes.

the older (5-6 years ago) 4x simmons scopes I bought for my 22lr seem to be woking just fine.

I had one crap out on me and sent it in, they sent me a new 3x9 in place of the 4x I sent in stating they weren't making that model anymore, well I couldn't use the scope cause it was physically too big, so I traded it for something else. No complaints on customer service....

have seen some of the 3x9 40mm ones others have and they weren't too impressive....

I may try one of the new simmons master series with the new technology in them, and because they are now partnered with redfield....

I would go with a Burris, they have given me good service in my price range.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I worked at a Sporting Goods Store in Phoenix while attending Arizona State University (1984-1988) and we sold a lot of Simmons. About 50% of them came back in a couple of weeks with all kinds of problems - you name it, it happened. We're not talking damp harsh weather either. I have been tainted ever since and will not own one. Get a Leupold - even a Rifleman if you're on a budget.

RH

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Shooting lady
You can accept a flip answer, or 25 year-old experience, or you can read what John Barsness had to say about the new Simmons Master Series.

Products DO change, especially now that Simmons and Redfield are owned by Meade Optical.

Check out this thread:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/655389/an/0/page/1#655389

Joearcher
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here's another recent thread:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/672821/an/0/page/0#672821

John's article appeared in the Nov issue of Rifle magazine

Joearcher
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had two and hated them both. I understand the new ones out now are good. Thanks...Bill.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Every one I've ever had was cheap junk. I only do two brands of scopes these days, Leupold and Swarovski.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally - my opinion is that cheap scopes are a false economy. Depending on where you hunt, some of us spend quite a bit of money to hunt each year. Around here, many of us spend $$$$ on hunting leases, 4WD trucks, ATVs, campers, food plots, etc. so it sure doesn't make sense to make the weak link in your hunting budged optics. For starters a quality scope like a Leupold VX II \ VXIII , Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, or Bushnell Elite 4200 can be bought for under $400 (some well under that) and they will last practically forever with reasonable care.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
put an Aetec 2.8-10 on my win 270 2 1/2 years ago. over 400 rounds later & one mule deer hunt in wyoming & it performs well. may not be what the lupe fans want to hear, but it was an exceptional bargin. tired their 12x36 passport spotting scope 2 weeks ago & could read 1 inch letters at 400 yards; bright, crisp. again, not what the big spenders want to hear, but since Meade Corp took over (Redfield, Weaver also), i suspect their quality has taken a jump. if you feel the need to spend more, be my guest. suggest you find someone who has one on their gun & join them at the range, then form your own informed opinion./ chaz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They did make a good scope once, the 2.5-7 gold medal handgun. It could take punishing recoil from the most powerful handcannons w/o puking. Then they had to go and discontinue it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few years ago, I noticed that the Sportsman's guide sold factory refurbished Simmons scopes in all their catalogues. I never saw refurbished Leupolds or Swarovski's or the like. If their getting a good supply, someone's having problems with them. I would go with a Leupold Vari X I before I would consider a Simmons.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two Simmons scopes that I use are the 1 1/2 X 5 X 20mm ProDiamond Shotgun scope for my levers and the Pro Hunter 6 X 40mm for my cheaper bolts. These scopes are normally $90 and $60 but CDNN has them now for $49 and $29. I just bought 5 of the 6 power scopes and got another 10% off. The scopes are not German quality, but you're not ashamed to fix up your nephew or your boss's son with one. Good Luck.

George

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My brother had a 1997 vintage, mid-range 3-9x40 Simmons lose zero on recoil after a year or so, and it got replaced. Until then, it was his favorite.
-P

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried several Simmons scopes before giving up on them. Never could get them to zero or stay zeroed if you managed to get them close. The glass was OK in the more expensive versions, but bright don't mean squat if you cannot keep it pointed to the right spot. Maybe the newer ones are better, but I won't risk it, once I get burned I'm shy. Leupold and Burris haven't screwed me yet, so unless something convinces me otherwise, I'll stick to those two brands.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Come on ppl, not everyone has leupy money when in need of a scope. Some buy a lesser priced one and figure when it dumps we can get a better one.

Truthfully, I've owned a few simmons and the only one I ever had go bad was after a hard bunch of years on a big gun. When returned to the factory customer service desk a new one was sent dirrectly back. No questions asked.

Expected and appreciated.

Thats not sayin' they are the best, they aren't. I guess i'm stuck with the ones I have cause they arnt going bad all that quickly.

My best shooters wear the better brand name scopes.

The ones for $39.95 at wal-mart need to stay at wal-mart no matter who makes 'em.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simmons scopes are good.............if your last name is Simmons! (grin) And you get to cash checks when they sell.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Say what you want but i`ve had (2) 44 mag Simmons scopes for some time now, actually longer than that , and they`ve been in all kinds of weather,
fallen down a few times(with me attached) been banged around some and to this day do just fine. I`ve got no complaints.
There are better scopes for sure, no argument there, would i buy another?
Their new line has one (don`t remember the name) that is rated pretty good so that might be of some interest.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 2.5-10 Aetec I have stood up on a 300 WM quite well and is now on a .22 Mag autoloader. Except for the short tube mounting wise it's a decent value from what I see and have heard.

A rifle scope can't be all that complicated to make work. Sure paying more will get more......

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,851
Posts18,496,993
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.