-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a used one recently. This weekend I finally got a chance to take it to the hills for a trial run in the rough stuff. If you're contemplating buying a diesel with a manual, you might find my experience useful.

Diesels are famous for their low end torque. They far exceed gas engines for power at low speeds. If you're used to gas or an a/t, you might find it a bit different. When you come up to a rock pile or washed out place in the road, it won't slow down. The engine normally idles about 8 to 900 rpm. At that speed it has a lot more power than you might expect. If you try to brake down, you'll likely kill the engine. If you need to crawl over the rocks, you're going to have to shift down, unlike an a/t where the truck can come to a stop and the tranny will handle the idle speed for you. The engine will pull you over some pretty steep stuff while idling and with the manual, that means you're going over that pretty steep stuff at whatever ground speed the gearing dictates. If you don't shift down,you'd better have the seat belt tight because you're going to get a ride.

This isn't to say this is bad. It's actually good, but just different and you need to learn to drive the equipment properly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good advise, I drove my buddy's Cummins with the 6 speed in the mountains and know exactly what you are talking about. You can feather the brakes a little and work the clutch to slow down but man those deisels have some torque, eh?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes. No torque converter or driving with the brake on with a stick out in the rough.
I bought a six speed stick for my 06 Dodge because I didn't want the heat dump or extra servicing charges that go with a heavily used auto trans.
With a diesel you also don't get much compression braking either. But I'll still take a stick over an auto trans for heavy towing, which is why I bought the thing in the first place.
Now, for off roading, I like the ease of using an auto trans equipped rig. E

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Does your truck have 4 wheel low?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
4 wheel low? I would say so. It's a Dodge with a 6 speed to start with. Put it in 1st low and at 2000 rpm, you're speeding along at 2 mph.

As for compression braking, starting in '07 or so, Dodge's come with a Jake brake.

― George Orwell

IC B2

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Now, for off roading, I like the ease of using an auto trans equipped rig. E

I dunno, man. My buddy has a Ford with a non-turbo 7.3 five-speed. For the kind of off-roading I would think prudent to do with an extended cab long bed, I find that just putting it in gear and letting it crawl over whatever obstacle I am up against works pretty well.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
You can get in some interesting circumstances with an auto if you use tow/haul in 4 low. I did this one by accident, the brakes couldn't stop the truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LongRanger
You can get in some interesting circumstances with an auto if you use tow/haul in 4 low. I did this one by accident, the brakes couldn't stop the truck.

That gets even more interesting when you are backing up down hill....... !!!!!!!!!!!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
4 wheel low? I would say so. It's a Dodge with a 6 speed to start with. Put it in 1st low and at 2000 rpm, you're speeding along at 2 mph.

As for compression braking, starting in '07 or so, Dodge's come with a Jake brake.

The Cummins have an exhaust brake, no compression brake.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bought a used one recently. This weekend I finally got a chance to take it to the hills for a trial run in the rough stuff. If you're contemplating buying a diesel with a manual, you might find my experience useful.

Diesels are famous for their low end torque. They far exceed gas engines for power at low speeds. If you're used to gas or an a/t, you might find it a bit different. When you come up to a rock pile or washed out place in the road, it won't slow down. The engine normally idles about 8 to 900 rpm. At that speed it has a lot more power than you might expect. If you try to brake down, you'll likely kill the engine. If you need to crawl over the rocks, you're going to have to shift down, unlike an a/t where the truck can come to a stop and the tranny will handle the idle speed for you. The engine will pull you over some pretty steep stuff while idling and with the manual, that means you're going over that pretty steep stuff at whatever ground speed the gearing dictates. If you don't shift down,you'd better have the seat belt tight because you're going to get a ride.

This isn't to say this is bad. It's actually good, but just different and you need to learn to drive the equipment properly.

The reason your Cummins is like that is because they come with a feature called zero throttle launch. All you need to do is the the clutch out and the engine will be fueled by the ECM. Makes it very nice with a big load behind you if you're starting on a hill. No need to try and jump off the brake and on the the throttle while you roll backwards.

Like you've discovered with the ZTL,in low speed situations the ECM is fueling the truck not your foot.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's a new one on me, although I'm quite new to diesel pickups. I have an '08 and the owners manual says nothing about it. I'll take it out and give it a try...when I'm not tailgating at a red light.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Three footing is your friend on the rough stuff.

All motors will compression brake. And exhaust brake is even nicer, especially with a load.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus

With a diesel you also don't get much compression braking either.

Compared to what? Diesels are generally preferred for off-roading over here simply because they do offer good compression braking and that's been my experience with them also.

I hate auto transmissions, especially for off-roading as I much prefer to be in charge of the gear box and hate that hunting sound as the autobox chases down the correct gear..

That said i am quite old fashioned when it comes to 4x4's and also dislike all the computer controlled drive-by-wire in modern 4x4's; much prefer simple,reliable and rugged.

A friend was telling me about the fancy computer controlled throttle in his Discovery..I had a manual hand throttle in my old Isuzu Trooper that achieved much the same thing sans an electrics or computers..

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You could fix the old ones yourself. Now they get to charge you to fix them. They're slowly working toward where no one without an engineering degree can do anything more than change a tire...if that.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could fix the old ones yourself. Now they get to charge you to fix them. They're slowly working toward where no one without an engineering degree can do anything more than change a tire...if that.

In some respects its being driven by the need to comply with emission controls and assorted other Government regulations, plus the quest for more MPG. Additionally, Joe Public seems to want the latest computerized "whiz bang" in all their consumer products regardless of whether it offers anything tangible...

I am not sure how big a market there is for basic bomb proof 4x4's, but I am surprised nobody has started a business
"re manufacturing"/renovating old models into as near new condition..I am not talking about expensive one off hand builds, but using a small production line to keep costs down..

by starting with a used vehicle, I assume many of the current
regulations would not be applicable?

Last edited by Pete E; 08/29/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PeteE, there is already a cottage industry popping up doing just that for semi trucks.

There's very few people really interested in using their trucks for the heavy duty off road stuff -- they just go to the end of the gravel and unload the quads.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pete, there's a place in Texas that rebuilds Jeeps, and I think there's a place in the Pugetopolis area of Washington (Olympia or Tacoma, I think) that does (or did) the same for Toyota FJs, along with converting to diesel.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.