-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What do you think about these bullets, 180 gr? I am sure all are adequate for elk, but have people noticed differences in performance or accuracy? Aside from the A-frames being twice the price of the other two.
I shot elk with a 200 gr TBBC and 200 gr TSX and perhaps shouldn't mess with success...

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I don't think you could ever go wrong using a Partition. I've never killed any game with the Scirocco but the 180's in 30-06 shoot tiny groups in several of my rifles.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've always found the Partitions to be much easier to develop accurate loads. Between the Sciroccos and the A-Frames, the A-frames were the worst. And that was in a match grade barreled custom rifle.
I've used the Partitions alot. They expand easily at low remaining velocities, and they hold together and penetrate no matter what the bullet hits.
The only other bullets I've played with that I like any better are the Federal Trophy Bonded bullets. Which are not availiable as components, and aren't a whole lot better. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 08/27/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
What do you think about these bullets, 180 gr? I am sure all are adequate for elk, but have people noticed differences in performance or accuracy? Aside from the A-frames being twice the price of the other two.
I shot elk with a 200 gr TBBC and 200 gr TSX and perhaps shouldn't mess with success...

I can't imagine that you would improve on the TBBC or TSX in any material way.I bet any of those you mention would work equally well.

Not 180 gr 30's but I've shot TTSX, Aframes, and TBBC's and gotten fine accuracy from all of them.The old style TBBC recently has given very good 600 yard groups.

I have used the 200 gr Partition on elk and it penetrates very well,but can't honestly imagine it does much that the others will not.....maybe only in a slightly different way.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot 165 gr partitions out of my 308 and get excellent accuracy. Have not shot an elk but all the whitetales I've shot don't seem to effect the bullet much and leave a small exit hole. I'm thinking the bullet is just getting started on deer sized game, so there's going to be alot more punch left to do damage on an elk sized critter. I'm actually putting some loads together right now for elk this fall. 165 gr. partition over 46 gr of IMR 4895. IT seems to be the ticket.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The Partition is a sure bet. Always works.Period-amundo.
The Swift A-Frame is my favorite of the bunch- easy to get it to shoot and retains more weight....not that the stuff that died with a partition would have noticed anyway.
Sciroccos seem to open too fast and limit penetration, and are the hardest to get to shoot.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I can't imagine that you would improve on the TBBC or TSX in any material way.I bet any of those you mention would work equally well.

That's what I'm thinking... But all the talk about how great Partitions are makes me want to try them. Of course with enough developed loads that I already have for 200 TSX and a box of 180 TTSX that I just started trying, do I really need to add another bullet to the mix?.. Probably not.
Now, for the 338RCM the 210 Partition does look interesting. I am thinking, 225 might be on the heavy side for it and 210 might just be perfect. Probably splitting hairs again as my 338RCM shoots 225 TTSX very well, especially with ball powders.
I never tried Swifts, interesting info on Sciroccos. I read elsewhere that those are good long range bullets (not that I shoot long range anyway).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
PD: The Partition will do a fine job for you,as indicated by what Ingwe says about them above. He has killed a lot of game and knows what works.

I have mostly used Partitions and know pretty much what they do; I have used 165,180,and 200 gr and for a 300 mag of any sort would likely pick the 180 or 200 gr

Among the bullets you're discussing I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch in terms of terminal effectivness and you cannot really go wrong.Pick one(you can't make a bad choice smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 me I've always had good accuracy with Partitions. A-Frames been hit or miss and the Scirrocco's have done nothing but frustrate me in terms of accuracy.

Honestly out of a .308 for elk the 165 Horn BTSP, the 165 Sierra HPBT and the 180 Horn sp and the 168 NBT will do pretty much all I ever need done.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used all three in various .30 caliber rifles for elk. All of them will reliably group three shots from less than 1 to 1 1/2 MOA out to as far as I can shoot. All three kill elk, right there.

The 180 Scirocco II shoots a little over 1/2" for three shots from my .300 Wby. The A-Frames shoot very well from both a Vanguard .308 and a pre-64 Model 70 .30-06. The Partitions shoot very well in every rifle in which I have tried them. I would use the one that shoots the best in your rifle.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Strange but true (for me anyway). This is not an internet rumor, but in the last few years I have gotten some outstanding, benchrest quality, groups with rifles shooting Partitions. Like Bob said though, probably not a nickel's worth of difference in any of em from the deer or elk's perspective.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Any of the above. I saw a Scirocco .308 (168 gr) removed from the rump of an antelope that had been shot in the chest head-on. It was a perfect mushroom, would guess around 60-75% weight retention just looking at it. But if the TTSX is working, why change?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My vote is for Partition. Great elk bullet. Shot one last year with 180s in 300 Win Mag. 200 yd shot, walked 20 yards and died.
Im a believer, definately better on large game versus small.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I love the PT's for hunting. I am not a long range hunter, but I do shoot out to 600 yards pretty often. So far I haven't found any real negatives for choosing a PT. Just about everyone you shoot into something, will look the same. Might be a little more lead left on the front after a longer range shot, but still pretty easy to guess what a PT will look like.

Haven't used the Swift's, although, they are some very nice bullets, just haven't found a good reason to switch from Nosler yet.

I like the 200's alot in the 300 Magnums. Seems like an easy 2900 or so and the performance is hard to beat

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Accubond seems to copy the PT but doesn't go quite as deep, but still penetrates really well.

This is a 200 AB from a 300 RUM at 3150 shot into jugs around 20 ft.

[Linked Image]

Either bullet will do a whole lotta work. Pretty good BC on both of them as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No need to fix what isn't broke. (Not advice I heed much as I like to tinker�)

No experience here with TSX on game as I could never bring myself to try them after inconsistent and disappointing results with XLC bullets (blue coated X bullets). The newer tipped varieties have done nothing but please, including 100g TTSX in my .257 Roberts, 168g TTSX in my .30-06s and 180g MRX in my .300WM. Very accurate, front to back penetration with exit and the animals drop straight down or take a few stumbling steps.

My hunting buddy has used the older TBBC with good effect and I�d trust them for anything I do. Too bad they are no longer available as components as I think the newer tipped variety may be the best bullet on the market for my needs and wants.

Partitions work reliably but I�ve not been able to get the accuracy I can with other bullets.

A 120g A-Frame is my choice for my .257 Roberts during combined deer/elk season. Very accurate and the bonded front half is very much like a TBBC or North Fork, which I use a lot. Although I�ve not taken game with one yet, I expect performance very much like the North Fork bullets, which is to say �outstanding�.

The only place I use a Scirocco II is in my 6.5-06AI. Very accurate. Only one animal taken, a doe antelope, so the jury is still out. I�m still using them, though, and expect they will be fine.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Now, for the 338RCM the 210 Partition does look interesting. I am thinking, 225 might be on the heavy side for it and 210 might just be perfect. Probably splitting hairs again as my 338RCM shoots 225 TTSX very well, especially with ball powders.
I never tried Swifts, interesting info on Sciroccos. I read elsewhere that those are good long range bullets (not that I shoot long range anyway).

When I got my .338WM built last year I was in the same position as you, wondering what bullet weight to use. In the end I decided to use Hornady 225g SSTs (B.C. .515) for practice loads and Nosler 225g AccuBond (B.C. 550) for my hunting loads. My .338WM has a 22� barrel and the bullets run 2707fps and 2742fps respectfully.

The 210g Partition (B.C. .400) can be launched at 2905fps per Nosler, which is what I used for my comparison to the 225g AccuBond (B.C. 550, 2807fps per Nosler). When using MPBR zeros for a target 6� in diameter, the 225g starts out slower but with more energy and at 200 yards and beyond provides higher velocity and flatter trajectory. Even with my real-world 2742fps from the 22� barrel, the 225g AB has more energy at 200 yards, more velocity at 300 yards and flatter trajectory at 400 yards and beyond. Couple the 225g AB with a good and less expensive substitute for practice (the 225g Hornady SST) and my decision was easy.

The 225g TTSX (B.C. 514) would be an easy choice since you already know they shoot well and the 225g SSTs should make good practice loads.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I agree with all. I guess I can spend a weekend more productively that developing loads to replace perfectly fine loads I already have wink
Sight in starts this weekend at my range. I will be meeting a lot of hunters I am sure, all are antsy to get ready for the season. I will probably bring my 300Wby once the weather cools down to try the 180 TTSX, see how they group. Flat base 200 TSX grouped under 1" so I am hopeful.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
of the 3 bullets you mentioned, i've only killed elk with the partitions, and they always worked with one shot. partitions are all i use for elk these days (180gr in 30-06 and 150gr in 270 win).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,468
Posts18,508,501
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.