Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
gicts Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I've got a little .22 pump pellet gun I would like to plink around with, however, it's not quite as silent as I had hoped. I found one website that gave directions for an actual silencer to be used for sub-machine guns and the like. Without building something as complex as that, does anyone know a good solution?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Check with these guys before you start making one. suppressors

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
G
gicts Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm just looking for a way to make my pellet gun a little quiter when I plink, nothing that the ATF is going to bust me for!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is something I've been wondering about... here in the U.S. a suppressor for a *firearm* has to be federally licensed (and taxed), etc. but an air rifle ownership/possession is a non-issue (town/city rules on discharging inside city limits aside). In England, an *air rifle* is similarly restricted, but a suppressor, as near as I can tell, is not a big deal, in fact it seems like they are encouraged to minimize public disturbance.

Where a suppressor for an air rifle would fall in the states is a damn good question. If it had say, 1/2-28 tpi which I believe is the same threading that military flash hiders... and suppressors... use, then I could see it being a bit of a pickle convincing your friendly neighborhood LEO that it is *not* a restricted item and your unlicensed possession is not a felony!!!

I think I'd want it signed and in writing from someone of suitable authority, myself.

YMMV,

Monte

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think ATF sees a suppressor as a suppressor. As such it is subject to a 200. tax. These guys know ask them. AOA

Last edited by Rusky; 12/22/05.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not surprisingly, they have a section on their web site specifically on this:

Until the legal restrictions regarding silencers on airguns are stated clearly in law, Airguns of Arizona will not offer any device that can be threaded or set screwed on to a barrel with the intent of quieting the muzzle report. We are doing this for security not only for our business, but for you the customer as well. The way the laws are written now, it is open for interpretation, and we choose to err on the side of caution.

There are some air rifles offered with a permanent barrel shroud installed. These seem to be acceptable on airguns at the present time.

Doesn't sound like too good of an idea to me. Sucks. I'd love to be able to take a suppressed air rifle grouse hunting! Quiet, and safer for anybody else wandering the woods too.

YMMV,

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,027
Posts18,500,540
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.