Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Charles Krauthammer said that Romney must seem as if he cares in his speech at the convention.

If he can seem warm and not stiff the election is his.

I agree.

Krauthammer's comment has been on the TV news today.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Goodwin on Romney

Two stories about Mitt Romney. In a conversation last year, a pair of former colleagues from his private- equity days were effusive in their praise of Romney's intelligence, dedication and skills.

But there was something else, too. They said his inscrutable demeanor, the lack of personal warmth, never really changed, though both knew him for many years.

Funnyman Jon Stewart made a similar point in a different way. No fan of Romney, he told an interviewer that, if you had a "box marked 'president' and opened it, Romney would be inside."

Compliments for Romney always come with caveats. As he goes to Tampa to claim the crown he sought for five years, the only unanimous idea is that Romney has many strengths and a few big holes in his game.

One indication is that, although he is locked in a tight race with President Obama, the incumbent is still favored in most quarters. A poll that had them tied also showed that 58 percent of respondents believed Obama would win.

It's a familiar predicament for Romney, and points to the work he must do before Nov. 6. A likability deficit, a lack of enthusiasm, the soft support - they've haunted his campaign from the start.

He was counted out each time a new primary rival gained steam. It would be fair to say he vanquished them, but more accurate to say he outlasted them. He was better funded, and as they took turns rising and falling, he was the last man standing. But Obama is no Newt Gingrich or Rick Perry.

Romney's bold choice of running mate, Paul Ryan, has helped stabilize a listing ship. Ryan's fiscally conservative record energized the base, and his boyish, articulate presence has made the ticket more youthful and more substantive.

Yet that "reset" will prove ephemeral unless Romney can answer doubts about his core principles. To do that, Tampa must be much more than just error-free. The four-day infomercial must paint a fuller picture of a passionate and compassionate nominee. It must maximize his advantage in handling the economy, while avoiding anything that reinforces his negatives, including his wealth and history of flip-flopping.

The popular personalities who will testify on his behalf start with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who can be counted on to hammer how Obama failed as a leader. Florida Sen. Marco Rubio will rouse the crowd with digs at Obama for being an apologist about American power, a contrast that is a double plus coming from a Latino.

Ann Romney and South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley will argue why women should be comfortable with the ticket. Timothy Cardinal Dolan, whose offer to speak at the Democratic convention was turned down, will offer a prayer, his presence a reminder of what he called Obama's "war on religion." Others will offer a salute to the troops, a rare break in a campaign where foreign policy and war are afterthoughts.

Ryan will hit the jobs issue hard and broaden the campaign canvas to include deficits, debt and entitlement reform.

But those are warm-up acts, and Romney's turn Thursday night will be a make-or-break moment. With the largest audience he's ever addressed, he will have an unfiltered opportunity to sell himself anew as the answer to a troubled nation.

He must offer details of his jobs and energy plans, but not too many. He will need to be strong and clear and, on occasion, funny. A display of warmth, including about his Mormon faith, is essential.

Most important, viewers in the hall and at home will give themselves a test by imagining him sitting in the Oval Office. The image in their heads must leave them confident he will measure up, that he will lead the nation to better days and their lives to better times.

It is the litmus test of whether Romney looks and sounds presidential. If he passes, he will have boosted himself to a higher level, one where victory is not only possible, but likely.

To continue reading Michael Goodwin's column on other topics, including the White House reaction to the forthcoming book by a Navy SEAL on the Bin Laden raid, click here.�

[

Last edited by ConradCA; 08/27/12.

[Linked Image from ]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Romney is his own worst enemy. He has waffled so many times that he causes doubt about his real political ideology. And his support for traditional liberal ideologies such as gun control, socialized medicine, and abortion has alienated conservatives.

Romney will lose because he has no principles; hence, no character. Romney may talk a good line of BS, but he cannot run from his rapsheet.

If Republican delegates nominate Romney, I couldn't care less who loses on November 6.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
STFU,stupid.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Charles Krauthammer said that Romney must seem as if he cares in his speech at the convention.

If he can seem warm and not stiff the election is his.

I agree.

Krauthammer's comment has been on the TV news today.
The more Romney tries to sound sincere the more phony and condescending he comes off. I frankly can't stand listening to his campaign speeches.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
all the [bleep] lefties have advice for the GOP as well. Screw 'em all, including Dr. Charles.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Raisuli
Romney is his own worst enemy. He has waffled so many times that he causes doubt about his real political ideology. And his support for traditional liberal ideologies such as gun control, socialized medicine, and abortion has alienated conservatives.

Romney will lose because he has no principles; hence, no character. Romney may talk a good line of BS, but he cannot run from his rapsheet.
Romney shouldn't do any more campaign speeches. He should have Ryan do all of them from now on. Ryan sounds sincere, because he's just being himself, expressing ideas he really believes in. Romney should pretend he has a stubborn case of laryngitis until after the election.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Romney will lose because he has no principles; hence, no character.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
lol

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Romney shouldn't do any more campaign speeches. He should have Ryan do all of them from now on. Ryan sounds sincere, because he's just being himself, expressing ideas he really believes in. Romney should pretend he has a stubborn case of laryngitis until after the election.

Were Romney to follow your advice he'll be portrayed as an empty suit. Do you remember Democrats refraining that Cheney was running the country, not Bush 43? Democrats were bandying gravitas: that Cheney brought it to the ticket because Bush didn't have it. If anything, I learned a new word. And maybe Democrats were right, because Bush 43 was as bad as Bush 41, not that I much cared for Cheney.

I guess I am going to have to accept what might be the fact that no conservative will ever again win. Maybe conservatives are on the fast track toward extinction.

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

If Republican delegates nominate Romney, I couldn't care less who loses on November 6.

Originally Posted by RISJR
STFU,stupid.

lol

Continuously greasing the skids for that poster child of a rino must be wearing ?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anybody NOT voting for the Republican ticket needs a long reality check. Leaving Obama as Commander in Chief is not an option. This man has access to information and power at a dangerous level and does not have the best interest of America at heart. You have seen his appointments to the Supreme Court. Do you seriously want to give him more opportunities?? Anybody that does is a f'ng idiot. You've seen his message of "Spread the Wealth", his demonizing of business and his encouragement of class warfare. He must be defeated. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Wake up and get out of your fairy tale mode. Romney must be elected. Fight the in-house battles after Obama is gone but do nothing to support his re-election. Get a grip folks, this is real. Obama is an enemy to our freedom and must be defeated.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There's no other way to put it then that. We cannot afford another 4 years of Obama.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very well stated shootem

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
FYI I did not vote for Romney in the primary, I did not vote for McLame in the primary and I never voted for either Bush in any primary. There were better choices. But now as then it gets down to cutting off your nose to spite your face, or not. It's impossible for me to have total confidence in a Massachusetts politician. I'm voting for Romney because he's not Obama and he's to only viable alternative. Done with the rant I promise.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Romney is his own worst enemy. yapyapyapyapyapyapyap""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...think loops loops running on display TV's at Sears...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
FYI I did not vote for Romney in the primary, I did not vote for McLame in the primary and I never voted for either Bush in any primary. There were better choices. But now as then it gets down to cutting off your nose to spite your face, or not. It's impossible for me to have total confidence in a Massachusetts politician. I'm voting for Romney because he's not Obama and he's to only viable alternative. Done with the rant I promise.

This. I would vote for our town mayor (pop 6000) over "O" every time,.. all the time.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
As far as I'm concerned, Romney could do nearly anything, and still get my vote before Obama would. This crap is just foolish. I really do NOT want him to be nice. I want a warrior for my cause. I want no prisoners, only bodies.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shootem
Anybody NOT voting for the Republican ticket needs a long reality check. Leaving Obama as Commander in Chief is not an option. This man has access to information and power at a dangerous level and does not have the best interest of America at heart. You have seen his appointments to the Supreme Court. Do you seriously want to give him more opportunities?? Anybody that does is a f'ng idiot. You've seen his message of "Spread the Wealth", his demonizing of business and his encouragement of class warfare. He must be defeated. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Wake up and get out of your fairy tale mode. Romney must be elected. Fight the in-house battles after Obama is gone but do nothing to support his re-election. Get a grip folks, this is real. Obama is an enemy to our freedom and must be defeated.

+1,000,000

This is real gentlemen. This is for the America we grew up in, that is fading away right in front of us.

Last edited by spr1; 08/28/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.