Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
CodyM Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Got a few questions on Canvas wall tents. I'm just looking at them right now but down the road I'll probably get one. I've looked at :
Montana Canvas
Davis Tent company
Alaska Tent and Awning
Reliable Tent and Tipi
and a couple others I can't remember right now. So what features should I look for? Who has experience with any specific companies and can recommend them or who has the best prices? I know I need to store it dry and it will shrink when I get it wet. Thanks for ANY information on them.

CodyM

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being in CO, I would have to vote for Davis. They are great to work with and make a very nice quality product. I have a 14x16 and love just about everything about it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Davis. Go to their web page and watch their videos. Buy one size bigger than you think you'll need, add windows and a screen door, I'd probably put my stove-jack in the wall if I were to do it again.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
+1 for Davis, I love mine. If I had it to do over I would have a door at each end an a couple of windows. Great company.

Golden............
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I gotta give a nod to Montana Canvas and the relite fabric.
Anyone who's packed a wet canvas tent will know why.

Never fails that it's snowing/raining when we're packing the tent to head out.

I'd say Montana and Davis are atop the list for wall tents.

Windows are a nice touch. Screens are too if you use it in the summer.

If you have the means a larger 12-20 with a divider ( Montana Canvas) makes a nice all in one (sleeping and cooking). Of course if you hunt in bear country... forget about that option and not a good idea.

10X12 is comfy for 2 grown men. If you are hunting with more have another tent just for cooking and dining and get a 12X14 for sleeping.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 30338
Being in CO, I would have to vote for Davis. They are great to work with and make a very nice quality product. I have a 14x16 and love just about everything about it.

YUP,what he said.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a 14X16 Davis tent that I bought about 6 years ago. At that time their prices seemed to be the best. You can usually get the "show" prices in the spring. I like a door on each end with a screen door, a window on each side, and the stove jac in the roof. I have used the tent during early antelope and archery deer and elk season season and it is really nice to get a cross breeze without the bugs.

I store mine in a large rubbermaid garbage can with wheels. That will make a lot of sense once you need to move it around.

Andy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever model,size, configuration - put the tent up in ones lawn, run sprinklers both inside and out for a couple hours, and let it dry in the sun to preshrink before use. Will make for a tighter weave and enhance subsequent water resistence.

1Minute
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I did that when I first got my tent but the waterproof coating was so good it just ran off and nothing ever soaked in. Worth a try though.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Cocadori
I gotta give a nod to Montana Canvas and the relite fabric.
Anyone who's packed a wet canvas tent will know why.

Never fails that it's snowing/raining when we're packing the tent to head out.

I'd say Montana and Davis are atop the list for wall tents.

Windows are a nice touch. Screens are too if you use it in the summer.

If you have the means a larger 12-20 with a divider ( Montana Canvas) makes a nice all in one (sleeping and cooking). Of course if you hunt in bear country... forget about that option and not a good idea.

10X12 is comfy for 2 grown men. If you are hunting with more have another tent just for cooking and dining and get a 12X14 for sleeping.

Realite almost guarantees the inside of the tent will be like a rainforest.
Id would and have went with Davis. Very good folks to deal with.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
realite ain't that bad. if you leave the doors open, and the stove going full-blast......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Second that. Spent a miserable two hunts in a friends realite tent with inadequate ventilation and everything seemed wet. Also harder to keep comfortably warm with wood stove. Canvas with proper ventilation is much better. Davis or Montana are both good brands but Davis has better customer service in my experience.

Get it bigger than you think you will need.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I got a 14x17 Montana Canvas at Cabelas. It's got the adjustable aluminum frame.

Real nice quality tent.

Attached Images
102_0444.jpg (88.72 KB, 1157 downloads)
102_0449.jpg (65.97 KB, 1638 downloads)
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am ordering a 14x16 from Davis today. It will have the Colorado door and a window in the back wall. Today is the last day that the angle brackets are on sale for 1/2 price. Davis and Montana are both good tents, but the Montana Canvas tents always seem dirty looking, I think that the parrafin waterproof coating must attract and hold dirt more than the other kinds of waterproofing. It is a lot of money for a tent, so I hope I like it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
but the Montana Canvas tents always seem dirty looking, I think that the parrafin waterproof coating must attract and hold dirt more than the other kinds of waterproofing.

You're right about that. The dirt sticks to it and you can't get it off again period.

I took a pressure washer to mine and it didn't even phase the dirt.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by duckcall
I am ordering a 14x16 from Davis today. It will have the Colorado door and a window in the back wall. Today is the last day that the angle brackets are on sale for 1/2 price. Davis and Montana are both good tents, but the Montana Canvas tents always seem dirty looking, I think that the parrafin waterproof coating must attract and hold dirt more than the other kinds of waterproofing. It is a lot of money for a tent, so I hope I like it.

I'd think about adding side windows also. If you use it in any kind of warmer weather, it's money well spent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't have one without doors at both ends. you can still add windows in the panels.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wanted side windows, but with my budget I would have had to have gone with a smaller tent. I tossed it around for quite a while and decided I could add windows later, if needed, but I could not make the tent bigger. This site has been a great help in my research, thanks

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Can someone add the windows themself or is this a "send it back" thing? The idea of cutting into the side of mine gives me the willies.....

Golden............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If weight is a factor, such as pack horse load you should probably look at a 3' wall height and a light weight canvas. If you are packing it in a truck I can't recommend a 5' or 6' wall height strongly enough. I prefer chimney in the back wall so you are sleeping close to the door in event of a tent fire. Yes. I have been in one and a freshly treated canvas tent flames up very quickly. There's a bit more work keeping the inside clean from wood debris but worth the time it takes for the safety factor.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 14 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.