Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I love(d) to hunt geese. However I haven't seriously hunted since the lead shot ban. I normally gave them away and never really ate them. I would like to go hunting again but I don't eat them and I won't just shoot them and waste them. So, any good recipes are welcome. When I've ate them before they were tough as nails and dry. In other words tasted like chit. Thanks for the help

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It starts with a shingle.........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
actually the breast makes darn good jerky.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The key with any red fleshed game bird like geese and ducks is not to treat it as poultry. I only eat the breasts rest gets boiled up for the dogs. The breasts get cooked like beef. Of course a little extra prep is needed. My favorite way to cook ducks and geese is to cut the breast into strips the long way about 1/2" thick. Then I poke the strips with a fork several times. Work your way up and down the the strip a couple times poking a line of holes.

Next marinate. Can of coke couple tablespoons soy sauce four or five cloves of garlic crushed and some black pepper. Marinate for at least four or five hours to over night. Ducks don't need as long as geese. Once they marinate drain them and dry thoroughly. Thread couple strips onto skewers. Grill them over a very hot grill preferable natural lump charcoal. Don't cook too long couple three minutes a side at most. DO NOT cook past medium med rare is better. You only need to turn them once. If you like you can brush them with a teriayke sauce as they come off the grill. Everyone that has tried these thinks they are beef or maybe venison.

Another great recipe is to freeze the breasts. Don't freeze solid just want them kind of icy and firm. Use a sharp knife cut very thin slices across the grain. Marinate for about an hour in half a cup of soy tablespoon sesame oil couple cloves chopped garlic black pepper. You can use the slices a couple ways. Use as you would use beef in a stir fry or any chinese type beef dish such as beef and broccoli. Cook hot and fast. Next thing to do with same meat is again cook hot and fast. Then get some flat breads or pitas. Makes a great sandwich. Top with whatever you like. You can also do a marinade of olive oil garlic and Greek spices and come up with a damn good gyro.

Kind of an odd one is to do schnitzel. Use duck or goose instead of veal. Pound the breast down to about a quarter to of an inch working the edges out so you end up with a decent sized cutlet. Dust in flour then into milk and egg then bread crumbs. Fry fast in butter. Serve with some spaetzles a bit of red cabbage excellent meal.

Final thing is fajitas. Again very thin slices. I usually just marinate in a bit of oil with any packaged fajita seasoning and a bit of lime.

Really you can do most anything. Just treat as beef. Marinating and hot fast cooking and not over cooking are the keys. Cooking technique will do more for ducks and geese than the seasonings you choose.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have my goose breasts all made into jerky and it is excellent. The legs are rolled in flour and browned in oil and then baked covered with mushroom soup in a disposable aluminum cake pan. They come out tender and yummy.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/24/12.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the jerky. In my experience goose takes less salt than venison or beef. YMMV.

Time has come for the U.S. to be proactive instead of reactive to those who would kill us !!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by eh76

This.

Goose any other way sux.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
take the breasts from 2 birds

soak in salt water over night in the refrig.

when ready for dinner--place breasts on a broiling rack in the oven--have oven at 430 degrees

leave in oven for 6 minutes

remove from oven, turn over ,,return to oven for 4 minutes--turn off oven and use residual heat to finish

while breasts are roasting ,,take a 12 inch by 12 inch cutting board and cover it with 1/4 inch of butter

remove breasts from oven,,place on buttered board, slice 1/4 inch thick,,serve immediately

note--have guests at table when you remove meat from oven.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Another vote for jerky, and nobody will guess it's goose.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Goose and Folse

Mixes with lots of other things.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
get a copy of Julie Child's "mastering the art of french cooking", and make a cassoulet. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mother in law did this a lot better than I do. Cut the goose or duck into small pieces, bone and all. Biggest piece would be about the size of golf ball. She would put some oil and chopped onions in a large sauce pan on top of the stove. Simmer this until the onions get cooked pretty well. Then put the cut up bird into this and cook on low heat. It took over an hour, maybe 2. Stirring frequently. Its the only way that I have ever found waterfowl delicious, but I would rarely leave leftovers. We shot a lot of birds too. This is so good, my father in law wouldnt share his ducks with me. I would always give mine to him and he just said thanks and went on. I bet I gave them 30 birds before I got to eat any. Mother in law cooked the first pheasants I shot that night, but not ducks, lol. Shes cooking in the big kitchen in the sky so if anyone sees her tell her hi, we sure miss her. I got some dirt in my eye, brb.

If you kill dozens of geese have them made into summer sausage at a locker.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by eh76

This.

Goose any other way sux.

My Grandmother could roast a goose and make it delicious. I never could make one edible that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"What's the best goose recipe?"

There's no way to make that [bleep] palatable to me.....I love to hunt em' though!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
B
B
Although i don't have the recipe, a cohort of mine make the finest goose sausage you ever ate. It's sooooo good that you don't even know it's goose or you wouldn't have eaten it in the first place. I'm taking all the goose i can lay my hands on this season and making it into sausage. Wish i could share the recipe with you: maybe next year after we make a pile of it this winter....then again, maybe it's a secrut recipe and I won't come away with anything but goose sausage. I can live with that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Goose sausage....man, that doesn't sound bad at all.

I'm gonna give it a whirl this fall.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
We process a lot of our waterfowl into sausage, sticks, jerky, and summer sausage. You can substitue waterfowl for any venison recipe and with the exception of straight up muscle jerky (not ground and formed, mixed etc), you'll never taste the difference.

I cook it for the table many ways, too many to list here. I really like to cube it up and marinate in either Allegro or Italian dressing for 24 hours, and grill to MEDIUM RARE, medium at most. Waterfowl is red meat, and should be treated as such. You like your ribeyes med rare, cook your waterfowl to med rare.

One thing I do with duck quite a bit is cut it into strips, bread it however you like, and pan or deep fry. Dip in your favorite sauce and enjoy. I like sweet and sour.

Anything that invloves jalapenos, cream cheese and bacon is excellent.

Chili

Crockpot with cream of mushroom soup, Lipton Onion mix, and veggies...

The list goes on and on. It's all good!!

Kudos on wanting to eat what you kill. I understand waterfowl isn't for everybody, but at least you'll make an effort.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Goose brats don't sound to shabby either.

I'm gettin pumped.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Oven Cooking Bags and bacon is great place to start.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crock pot+
8-10 goose legs+
four soup cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup(or one of those big cans)don't add water+
1 packet of mrs. grass onion soup mix+
12hours of slow cooking= goodness and gravy to top the mashed potatoes with....

If 'ya can't put hot sauce on it, it ain't worth eat'n....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (arky65, anothergun, Amos63, Basser, 35, 6 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,691
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.