Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am looking to buy my son a shotgun for his upcoming 8th birthday. I would prefer a pump but I am not opposed to a semi, especially if the semi will reduce recoil. He currently owns a 22 lr and a 243, so he isn't scared of recoil. I think a 4-10 would more fun for him to shoot but I have heard that the full choke of the 4-10 makes hitting moving objects hard and frustrating for a beginner. I am guessing the next step up would be the 20.

Does anyone have any suggestions to throw my direction. I will compile a list and compare the weight, lenght of pull, etc of each gun. If I am missing something, please let me know. I am not a shotgun guru.

Thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Weatherby SA-08 youth 20ga, 12 1/2" lop, longer stock is only $55 fom Weatherby, lightweight with the 24" barrel, screw in chokes, 3" capable, light recoil and the best part, $450-$500 new depending on where you shop.

I bought one for my daughter and when I figured she was going to stick to it, I bought her a youth Beretta 3901. I gave the niece the SA-08 and she loves it.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
C
C
Originally Posted by Orphanedcowboy
Weatherby SA-08 youth 20ga, 12 1/2" lop, longer stock is only $55 fom Weatherby, lightweight with the 24" barrel, screw in chokes, 3" capable, light recoil and the best part, $450-$500 new depending on where you shop.

I bought one for my daughter and when I figured she was going to stick to it, I bought her a youth Beretta 3901. I gave the niece the SA-08 and she loves it.

I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that SA-08 youth 20ga good one in this regard.I just bought one for my son.Looking simple but nice.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Went with the 870 youth 20 ga. for my kids. Inexpensive, reliable. No regrets.

My oldest boy is almost 13 and he still puts birds in the freezer with his.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/812/products_id/95093

Last edited by RGraff; 08/29/12.

"I hunt...therefore I am." James Hetfield
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

my 12 year old used the same gun to trapshoot with until i moved him to a browning bt-99.he still uses it to dove and squirrel hunt and is a good all around gun.my son was recoil shy and this gun didnt beat him up too bad.

Originally Posted by deflave
Get your dick out of that rooster and go to church.

Travis
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGraff

IMO it is a far safer choice for a young shooter needing more experience. A semi is asking for a tragedy. Young new shooters get excited and forget to put guns back on safe all too often. A single shot or pump is far safer in the hands of the new shooter.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've not handled one but the Weatherby sounds like a good option. For younger shooters the biggest problem can be handling the weight of the shotgun, an individual thing of course. I've seen kids have just a terrible time with an 1100 youth, some literally bending over backwards, start hitting when I switch them over to the club Franchi with the alloy receiver.

Don't discount recoil even with a young shooter "that can take it." It will affect him even if you don't see it right away. It's cumulative and shotguns usually get fired more times in one session. Advantage gas operated semiautos. And semiautos are as safe as a single shot if you give him one shell at a time, and better, the action automatically locks open after the shot.

Should add that cutting down an adult length stock isn't such a good idea. It sorta works but with the longer barrel the whole thing is out of balance. How would you like an extra foot added to the barrel of your favorite shotgun along with the comb being lowered?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a great experience with an 11-87 Youth in 20 ga. Even my 11 y-o can handle it well. Gentle enough with target loads, and can still hit targets with authority. Yes, the .410 will be frustrating for a new shooter, very frustrating.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes a .410 is necessary. Our 4-H program starts at age 8 and kids that young usually don't have the strength to comfortably hold even the light weight Franchi. Then there is the recoil thing, or the perception that a 20 is gonna hurt. It all varies A LOT among individuals in the 8 to 10 age range and changes quickly as their bodies develop. Our program is trap and some kids shoot a .410 single shot stocked for their size with a big, soft pad for the entire first season though we get them on a youth 20 gas semiauto as soon as they can handle it.

Obviously it's harder to hit a clay with a .410, invariably choked full. Even with a well placed shot there can be target-sized holes in the pattern. But on balance the kids find it more enjoyable to shoot a shotgun they can handle comfortably even though they break fewer targets. We de-emphasize scores other than individual improvement and congratulate them when birds are broken. Plus it's much easier to develop good form and avoid bad habits.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari

IMO it is a far safer choice for a young shooter needing more experience. A semi is asking for a tragedy. Young new shooters get excited and forget to put guns back on safe all too often. A single shot or pump is far safer in the hands of the new shooter.

What he said...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by luv2safari

What he said...

My daughter's was a single shot until I was comfortable giving her a second round. I use her 390 for all new shooters at the farm. I agree you should never turn one loose with any firearm until they show diligence in their safety routine, young or old.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Even a semi-auto can be a single shot using the Barney Fyffe method. Buy what you want her to hunt with when she grows and make it fit. Having said that, I prefer a pump. The 870 would be easy to fit to her and relpacement stocks are readily available when she grows. I do like the new P-08 too, but I am at heart an Ithaca guy. The 37 is very light and handy. It fits me better that any other pump. They are not easy to find these days though and aftermarket support is lacking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a good way to do things. I had a good friend who gave a 20ga 1100 to his young son. My friend put a plug in to make sure the boy couldn't put any in the magazine.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would second either the SA-08 or the 870 Youth (or a CZ 720 Youth if you can find one).

I would choose based on what type of action you think the child will continue with later. Those formative years are very formative, and they will learn to shoot one action with more familiarity.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
28ga. is much better than a 410 for a kid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what we thought a few years ago too. The lead instructor bought a 28 ga. 870, he wanted one anyway. Turned out there was no real difference to the shooters between that and a 20 ga. gas gun. I don't think the 28 ga. has been used this season though we put it out every week and the club absorbs the extra cost for shells. On the other hand Calvin says he enjoys it.

Remember, we use a .410 only when a shooter can't handle the light weight 20 gas gun, and we get him off the .410 as soon as possible.

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Today I purchased/ ordered a new Weatherby SA-08 youth for my son. It may be a little big for him right now but it will be a good beginner gun to get him involved in shooting with me. I am planning on joining the local shotgun club so I can actually try and learn how to shoot a shotgun and also get him some professional lessons. I am pretty good with rifles and handguns but moving objects with a shotgun.... nope.
I recently moved to South Louisiana and I am interested in getting into duck hunting so I am looking for a good duck gun. I got to hold an A400 Extreme, SBE II, Vinci, SX3 and Cordoba today. I liked the feel of the cordoba but the price was crazy expensive. I am interested in getting a gun that I can shoot skeet/trap, dove and ducks with. Any recommendations?

Thanks

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Why not another SA-08 in 12ga? That would make cleaning easier and when your boy grows give him the 12ga and order you a stock and take his 20ga. Trust me, 20s are the cats meow!

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why not another SA-08 in 12ga? That would make cleaning easier and when your boy grows give him the 12ga and order you a stock and take his 20ga. Trust me, 20s are the cats meow!

Bingo!

The Weatherbys are very light shotguns, so the recoil if using "heavy" duck loads might be more than you need, but only if you are going to blaze away heavily.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,926
Posts18,479,827
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.