Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have stayed there so many times I have lost track.
In the old days it was a great kick off to the African Adventure.
Any given night you would meet people on their first or 20 th safari.
Louie knew how to treat his clients and his wife has followed thru.
I love it there, steak or no steak it's the classic place to stay at least once.
All in for the Afton House.
13 trips down # 14 in November.
Larry

Love Hunting and Traveling
Buying and Selling Guns
Helping new guys with hunting
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Larry,

Welcome to the Campfire!

Yeah, it's hard to get that hunters-together feeling when you stay by yourself in a modern motel room. I've always enjoyed my stays at the Afton because of the socializing, and everything else has been fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have stayed it at Afton, and like it well enough. This year my hunting partner and I stayed at the City Center, a hotel attached to the airport. Bruce from Gracy helped about 8 of us through gun permitting, and then walked us across to the hotel. Simple, stress-free, nice hotel. It had the advantage of allowing long walks (which I need after the ATL-JBG flight) many more dinner options, and eliminating traffic issues (delays coming from the Afton last time nearly made people have flight issues.) Cost is about the same, and I would do it again were I so lucky as to go back anytime soon.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I stayed at Afton House on my first trip in 2011, found it acceptable but, like others, thought the steak dinner to be a bit of a ripoff. (If I'm spending 12K for an experience, mediocre is NOT acceptable. That includes no menu and a tough steak poorly cooked). Stayed at Africasky this year and found it to be much nicer, better service, and much better food. BE SURE to order the lemon cheesecake with vanilla ice cream. Absolutely a wonderful dessert.

Another note: a man and his son who were going to Namibia the next day for their hunting trip and spoke very highly of Gracy Travel. I intend to use their services on my next trip.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
utah,

Just curious, what did you do with your firearms after the gun permits were secured? Were you hunting in SA or continuing on to another country?
I have been assisted by Bruce as well & he is top notch in my book.

elkjaeger

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
We were overnighting in JBG before leaving to Bulawayo the next day. We kept the guns in our immediate possession before checking them in the next morning on the SAA/AirLink flight.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks utah. I may try the City Center next time as well...

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I stayed at Afton in '07 and enjoyed it. My room was off the kitchen and it was like a little shoe box and freezing cold, but OK for a 1 nighter. The breakfast was decent, no complaints.
What I liked about my stay was the fact that they shuttled us out to a restaurant of our choice late in the evening when we arrived, and I got to hang with other hunters who were also following their dreams.

The down home working class feel of the house and the neighborhood is way better than staying in a hotel. I'm not a B&B type person but this was just the right place at the right time...hard to explain.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (222Sako, 22kHornet, 25aught6, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,380
Posts18,527,525
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.