Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok so I found an amazing spot to bear hunt this year. But it's all cross canyon shots, 300 to 1200 yards from one side to the other in almost all the canyons I'm hunting. I don't want to shoot at animals passed 800 yards, but I need the rifle to be capable of farther. Most shots from what I'm experiencing will be in 450 to 750 yards which falls within my comfort zone

I want to buy a factory rifle less then $1800 + $1000 for a scope. With a $3500 limit to include mounts, rings, etc

Calibers are up in the air. It just needs to have big knock down power out to my comfort zone of 800 yards and the capability to kill passed that if a perfect shot presents itself.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Caliber from 7 mag and up will work fine. I prefer that caliber myself, but I also shoot 180 gr Berger hunting VLD's. You might check out Hill Country Rifles Harvester series. They will run around 18-1900, but they are reputed to be real shooters. The Remington Sendero is popular after it has been accurized by a good gunsmith. Because you are looking for something this year, it sound like a rifle ready to go, out of the box is what you need. The Weatherby sub-moa rifles have a good reputation, and would fall withing your price range. A really great set-up might be one of these rifles and a Nightforce scope. For this kind of shooting a scope up to the task is mandatory. One last resource would be to buy a good used rifle. I would suggest going over to longrangehunting.com and keep an eye on the classifieds.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Not looking for this season. My deer/elk seasons open the next few days. So bear is out of the picture unless I stumble upon one.

I'll be buying the rifle in the next month or two and getting a lot of practice throughout the year to be ready for August 1st and back into the Alpine areas

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With a $3500 limit, I would buy a Savage LRH in .300WM or a used Remington Sendero in the same caliber or maybe .300 Ultra if I could find one for around the $800.00 price of the Savage then save the rest of the budget for optics. I guess what I'm getting at here is that I would be looking to spend the bulk of my money on glass rather than a rifle.

Bob

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
my recomendation would be to keep the distance as close as possible for bear. reason being that as a general rule you will get only one decent shot. they wont stand around like a deer and let you shoot at them. when they start moving they
wont stop till they clear the ridge top.
so that being the case any of the standard magnum calibers will
be all you need.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Id look for a 7 or 300 RUM if you can handle it well, and then put a Zeiss on it, and shoot the piss out of it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ER Shaw is making rifles now to your specs. You might build it and ask for a price. My understanding is that the new Shaw barrels and I assume rifle shoot very well.
Pick a Caliber you like, find a high BC bullet and like Casey said, shoot the piss out of it. A 7mm variation with a 168 Berger or 280 Berger is about perfect for long range.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Black bears I assume?

Everything mentioned so far, the 7RM/RUM and the 300 mags will do just fine. Had a 300 Win for more than 30 years.

But along with my very much liking for the 30 and 375 calibers, my last addition was to get something right down the middle by adding another caliber that I have always been very fond of.

Went for the gusto. A factory 338-378 Mk5 Wby Accumark w/brake. A very powerful long range, anything you want to hunt (either short range or longer and extended ranges) on the N/A continent rifle and cartridge.

More expensive to reload? Yep. Brass cheap? Nope. Loud? Yep.

But! Moving 300 grainers including the new 338 cal hunting VLDs @ about 2800 to maybe 2900 fps "has its appeal" and will leave no doubts assuming of course as always with any cartridge, that you do your jobby well with proper bullet placement.

More cartridge than what you need? Sure is. But nevertheless, the 338-378 is quite a tantalizing round.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd say skip the drama and set yourself up a 7 Remmie topped with something 10x at the top end with good solid turrets. Spend a lot on bullets and powder, not brass and more barrels.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bankwalker
Most shots from what I'm experiencing will be in 450 to 750 yards which falls within my comfort zone

Sounds like you have been shooting LR already. If so, what have you been shooting?

It might work for you, as is.

Last edited by REDGUN; 08/31/12.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'd say skip the drama and set yourself up a 7 Remmie topped with something 10x at the top end with good solid turrets. Spend a lot on bullets and powder, not brass and more barrels.
.........Well I happen to think that a 338-378 barrel if well taken care of, will get about 1500 to 2000 rounds down the bore.

With the exception of an avid range junky and when used as an occasional hunting and range rifle, most 338-378 owners if not all of us, will more than likely never need to replace their barrels or lose any sleep thinking about it.

If talking about reduced barrel life, let`s not forget that the 7RUM and 264 Win (especially the 7RUM), aren`t exactly known for being kind where barrel life is concerned. Maybe the same or little worse on bores than would be a 338-378?

Another perspective....Taking into account all the other costs for hunting and shooting as a whole ie; apparel, transportation (air and ground), tags, fees, scopes, spotters, binocs, accessories, equipment, PHs, guides, plus costs for all the other misc stuff, any brass and powder cost differences between a 7RM vs a 338-378 when taking everything into account, will be somewhat more trivial.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by REDGUN
Most shots from what I'm experiencing will be in 450 to 750 yards which falls within my comfort zone

Sounds like you have been shooting LR already. If so, what have you been shooting?

I shoot a custom weatheby vanguard 308, topped with 2-7 redfield. As far as long range is concerned. I shoot a bit with buddies and their rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
.........Well I happen to think that a 338-378 barrel if well taken care of, will get about 1500 to 2000 rounds down the bore.

With the exception of an avid range junky and when used as an occasional hunting and range rifle, most 338-378 owners if not all of us, will more than likely never need to replace their barrels or lose any sleep thinking about it.

If talking about reduced barrel life, let`s not forget that the 7RUM and 264 Win (especially the 7RUM), aren`t exactly known for being kind where barrel life is concerned. Maybe the same or little worse on bores than would be a 338-378?

Another perspective....Taking into account all the other costs for hunting and shooting as a whole ie; apparel, transportation (air and ground), tags, fees, scopes, spotters, binocs, accessories, equipment, PHs, guides, plus costs for all the other misc stuff, any brass and powder cost differences between a 7RM vs a 338-378 when taking everything into account, will be somewhat more trivial.
If you like to shoot a bunch, practice a bunch, kill a bunch, and do so practically, stick to the 7mm or 30 cal stuff of modest capacity (7 Rem, 300 Winchester). I shoot quite a bit, and have shot the 7mm bullets out to 1,000 yards and killed with them. They straight up blow schit away.

Most 50 BMG owners probably don't burn the barrels out either.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by REDGUN

I shoot a custom weatheby vanguard 308, topped with 2-7 redfield.

Check out this: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ceased_via_Scenar_bullet_pix#Post4977783

Take a look at what Scenarshooter is killing with his 308. wink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

If you like to shoot a bunch, practice a bunch, kill a bunch, and do so practically, stick to the 7mm or 30 cal stuff of modest capacity (7 Rem, 300 Winchester). I shoot quite a bit, and have shot the 7mm bullets out to 1,000 yards and killed with them. They straight up blow schit away.

Most 50 BMG owners probably don't burn the barrels out either.

Nuff said huh Tanner.... grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno' if that's it all, 'nuff said and all that. But that's just what I think. I'm trying to be practical here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like practicality too: 7mm with 162 A-max and 30 cal 178 or 208 A max at long range just makes sense.....Am I right???

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are! The 178gr HPBT works damn well out past 6-700 too, and it's pretty windy where I'm at currently. But to really kill stuff past 500 yards you need to step up to the 300gr Berger at 3k. That's the only way.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You are! The 178gr HPBT works damn well out past 6-700 too, and it's pretty windy where I'm at currently. But to really kill stuff past 500 yards you need to step up to the 300gr Berger at 3k. That's the only way.

Nope.... grin

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (270cowboy, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,523
Posts18,491,060
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.