Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
They are inexpensive also Doc, the suggested student price is $25.00 per.
Terry, back around 1980 I took that course from the NRA, called something else back then, I guess (defensive handgun, I believe). It was $20.00 per hour lesson. My instructor was a retired deputy who looked a good bit like Bill Jordan. He took me from never having fired a handgun to being pretty darn good with a double action revolver.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The RTBAV course does not involve handguns or shooting as a rule, that is an advanced course of it's own. The RTBAV is basic awareness and things you can do to avoid confrontations and touches on less than lethal methods of defense. Also things to do around the home to make it less attractive to crooks as well as at work & school.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
The RTBAV course does not involve handguns or shooting as a rule, that is an advanced course of it's own. The RTBAV is basic awareness and things you can do to avoid confrontations and touches on less than lethal methods of defense. Also things to do around the home to make it less attractive to crooks as well as at work & school.
Oh, I never took that one. Might be worth looking into.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You don't have to live in "rural Texas" to avoid most of #4 -- just Texas.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Would I shoot someone over possessions? no, probably not...but remember the old adage about letting people get close to you. Ayoob I know teaches officers that a man with a knife 15 feet away can likely charge, and reach you before you can draw and fire. The Mythbusters TV show, FWIW a few months ago, tested that theory themselves, and demonstrated just that same scenario.

It's not just Ayoob.

A number of years ago a FTU officer in SoCal (IIRC, it was LAPD) named Dennis Tueller was talking to some guys about the "21-foot rule". Basically, they and most agencies were training their cops to consider anyone inside 21 feet (7 yards) as a potential contact-weapon threat in any police confrontation. Dennis told me at a conference a few years back that he did some "thinking out loud" about how valid that distance was.

So he and the other instructors set up an experiment: one instructor would run, and the other one would draw his pistol and fire a round (not at his buddy, obviously) to see how dangerous 21 feet actually was. The guy drawing and firing was not allowed to start his draw stroke until he saw the runner start toward him.

What they found was an adult male of average cop physical condition could close to contact-weapon distance in about 1.5 seconds. This wasn't good, as the average cop can't draw his sidearm from a retention holster in much under 2.5 seconds, and many cops in my experience are doing well to draw and fire in under 3 seconds.

The "Tueller Drill" has become justifiably famous as a demonstration of the distances and times that may be involved in a deadly force situation where the aggressor/attacker has a contact weapon. LEA's all over the country use this as part of their UoDF training.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Good points. Hard for many to understand that a BG at 10 ft. or less can be a real threat even with a gun ttained on him. E

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah. Ten feet is maybe livable, but inside of 6 feet a determined attacker can put a knife in your heart in about a quarter of a second.

If your reaction time is average, say 0.3 seconds, you'll be toast.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Would I shoot someone over possessions? no, probably not...but remember the old adage about letting people get close to you. Ayoob I know teaches officers that a man with a knife 15 feet away can likely charge, and reach you before you can draw and fire. The Mythbusters TV show, FWIW a few months ago, tested that theory themselves, and demonstrated just that same scenario.

It's not just Ayoob.

A number of years ago a FTU officer in SoCal (IIRC, it was LAPD) named Dennis Tueller was talking to some guys about the "21-foot rule". Basically, they and most agencies were training their cops to consider anyone inside 21 feet (7 yards) as a potential contact-weapon threat in any police confrontation. Dennis told me at a conference a few years back that he did some "thinking out loud" about how valid that distance was.

So he and the other instructors set up an experiment: one instructor would run, and the other one would draw his pistol and fire a round (not at his buddy, obviously) to see how dangerous 21 feet actually was. The guy drawing and firing was not allowed to start his draw stroke until he saw the runner start toward him.

What they found was an adult male of average cop physical condition could close to contact-weapon distance in about 1.5 seconds. This wasn't good, as the average cop can't draw his sidearm from a retention holster in much under 2.5 seconds, and many cops in my experience are doing well to draw and fire in under 3 seconds.

The "Tueller Drill" has become justifiably famous as a demonstration of the distances and times that may be involved in a deadly force situation where the aggressor/attacker has a contact weapon. LEA's all over the country use this as part of their UoDF training.

The last training session I was at the distance of the Tueller Drill was extended to 30' now because of the security holsters now in use.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The other thing I learned that a surprising number of them will not do what they are told at gun point.
Man, ain't that the truth!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. Ten feet is maybe livable, but inside of 6 feet a determined attacker can put a knife in your heart in about a quarter of a second.

If your reaction time is average, say 0.3 seconds, you'll be toast.

and unless your shot(s) "stops" him instantly, he may do it anyway...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It's not just Ayoob.

That's interesting because a Grizzly can cover that distance even faster for those who think they can draw and shot a Griz dead.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most of us are not natural born killers which is something to consider in self defense. Most of us will try and give the BG a fair chance to surrender.

I know that LEO are required to give the BG a fair chance to surrender but are civilians required to do that too?

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Most of us are not natural born killers which is something to consider in self defense. Most of us will try and give the BG a fair chance to surrender.

I know that LEO are required to give the BG a fair chance to surrender but are civilians required to do that too?

Derby,

I know you enjoy using pretend to form thoughts, but what you wrote here is inaccurate.

There is no need by anyone to give somebody a "fair chance". "Fair chance" isn't used in court. i.e. "Officer, did you give him a fair chance?"

All that matters is:

1.)Means

2.)Intent

3.)Opportunity.

So, If I have a shotgun in my hand while bird hunting, and an officer approaches me, do I have the means, intent, and opportunity to kill that officer? Yes, I have the means. Yes, I have the opportunity. But no, I do not have the intent.

Another example:

I have a rock in my hand. Officer approaches me and asks how my day is going. I raise my hand and say "die [bleep], cocksuckin' pig [bleep]" as I begin to attempt my finest fast ball in his direction. The officer at that time can draw, and put three into my chest because the court will acknowledge I had means, intent, and opportunity to cause death, or severe bodily harm.

Got it?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Derby,

I know you enjoy using pretend to form thoughts, but what you wrote here is inaccurate.

There is no need by anyone to give somebody a "fair chance". "Fair chance" isn't used in court. i.e. "Officer, did you give him a fair chance?"

All that matters is:

1.)Means

2.)Intent

3.)Opportunity.

So, If I have a shotgun in my hand while bird hunting, and an officer approaches me, do I have the means, intent, and opportunity to kill that officer? Yes, I have the means. Yes, I have the opportunity. But no, I do not have the intent.

Another example:

I have a rock in my hand. Officer approaches me and asks how my day is going. I raise my hand and say "die [bleep], cocksuckin' pig [bleep]" as I begin to attempt my finest fast ball in his direction. The officer at that time can draw, and put three into my chest because the court will acknowledge I had means, intent, and opportunity to cause death, or severe bodily harm.

Got it?

Travis

cool cool cool

Well put, sir.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Derby,

All that matters is:

1.)Means

2.)Intent

3.)Opportunity.

Another example:

Got it?

Travis

Everything you say is true. But the fact of the matter is most of us will not just up and kill someone. We will attempt to reason with them. That's human nature for most of us. Only natural born killers will just up and kill someone with out saying anything.

I'm not talking about a court defense I'm talking about a killer instinct.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You're a puzzy. Got it. Thanks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I would feel in danger, my reaction time, as far as if I should react, would be .000 seconds. You should have thought this out way before the time comes. No time for talking.
STAY READY

The foundation for old age is good memories.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Derby,

All that matters is:

1.)Means

2.)Intent

3.)Opportunity.

Another example:

Got it?

Travis

Everything you say is true. But the fact of the matter is most of us will not just up and kill someone. We will attempt to reason with them. That's human nature for most of us. Only natural born killers will just up and kill someone with out saying anything.

Actually, most of us won't. It's not human nature, it's American culture. Human nature is to protect itself, at whatever the cost. Darwin candidates "attempt to reason" with a BG trying to commit an assault on them. Survivors don't.

LEO's are not required to give ANYONE a "fair chance". If someone commits an act of violence and jeopardizes the life of another, they just volunteered to get shot, Tasered, OC'ed, and/or thumped on, whichever is appropriate.

"Fair" is a word we use to punish our children and our children use to punish us. It has ZERO place in combat.

Everyone is a natural born killer. The circumstances just have to be right for that switch to be flipped.

If you didn't have that ability in your genetics, your line would have died out long ago.

Doc,

I went through one of then Sgt. Teuller's classes long, long ago and learned that the reason he and his fellow officers ran the simulations was because one of his troops shot and killed a knife-wielding man in SLC and the D.A. was bowing to public pressure and was going to charge the officer with homicide. So, Sgt. Teuller and his other shiftmates taped the results of their findings and thus, the "Teuller Drill" was born.
He is a good man and a great supervisor.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Derby,

All that matters is:

1.)Means

2.)Intent

3.)Opportunity.

Another example:

Got it?

Travis

Actually, most of us won't. It's not human nature, it's American culture. Human nature is to protect itself, at whatever the cost. Darwin candidates "attempt to reason" with a BG trying to commit an assault on them. Survivors don't.

LEO's are not required to give ANYONE a "fair chance". If someone commits an act of violence and jeopardizes the life of another, they just volunteered to get shot, Tasered, OC'ed, and/or thumped on, whichever is appropriate.

"Fair" is a word we use to punish our children and our children use to punish us. It has ZERO place in combat.

Everyone is a natural born killer. The circumstances just have to be right for that switch to be flipped.

If you didn't have that ability in your genetics, your line would have died out long ago.

Doc,

I went through one of then Sgt. Teuller's classes long, long ago and learned that the reason he and his fellow officers ran the simulations was because one of his troops shot and killed a knife-wielding man in SLC and the D.A. was bowing to public pressure and was going to charge the officer with homicide. So, Sgt. Teuller and his other shiftmates taped the results of their findings and thus, the "Teuller Drill" was born.
He is a good man and a great supervisor.

Ed

Well now there you got me it's not human nature it's American culture which doesn't operate according to nature's law.

Nature's law says if someone is threatening life, liberty, and property one should just shoot them and be done with. American culture says otherwise. I stand corrected.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like someone's sig line says:
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.