-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No arguments from me. One of the reasons I don't carry.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'd rather be dead than deal with the hassle of remaining alive? Even if you feel that way about yourself, what about others for whom you care?

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't knock a man for making his own decisions reference self defense. That being said, Cheyenne does have a valid point about the protection of others in your family.

My ex-wife was a sheep. No matter how much I tried to make her understand that there were bad people in the world, and that the protection of our then infant son fell to her if I was not there to take care of that duty myself, she would always arrive at the same conclusion. She'd just say that she could not hurt another human. No amount of reasoning helped, and finally I came to the conclusion that she was only being honest.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Great post.

If one has ANY contact with any type of law enforcement or investigators, or prosecution, the rule is to shut up and button up. Use your 5th Amendment right with any law enforcement encounter and inform them that you are invoking your right and you've nothing to say if you are asked questions. Any attorney worthy of practicing law will put an huge stamp of approval on what I just typed and it could be an deciding factor on where you spend your future.

OPC... this is good, sound, basic advice.

Anyone who follows it is far better off than someone who has "verbal diarrhea" when interviewed by responding officers and investigating officers.

However, it is truly basic advice. Ayoob's class takes this past basic, past intermediate, and into advanced training in how to deal with responding and investigating officers. He also trains you in how to say what you need to say so you've got a bit of practice at it before you have to try it out in real life. Interesting and highly valuable training.

IIRC, this portion of Ayoob's class is about 3-4 hours long, which means at current prices you're paying less than a hundred bucks for 4 hours of training that will save you, conservatively, many thousands of dollars if/when TSHTF for you.

I'm not gonna shut up about this, guys. You can pay now, or you can REALLY pay later. It's your choice.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Standing mute could cost someone a lot of evidence and witnesses if the police don't know what to look for.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having read every word and then done some searches on classes offered I find there is now way I will ever afford one of these classes or the travel to attend one.

After thinking it over and sleeping on it I have decided that if I ever have to use my firearm for self defense I will be in big trouble. There will be no money for attorney fees. Loosing the farm and having my family become homeless is not an option. Therefore if I ever have to defend myself it looks like the best option would be to turn my carry weapon on myself before the police get there. At my age, income level and with my pain it is not all that bad a choice.

Last edited by Scott F; 09/01/12.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is something I belong to. Texas residents might be interested.
http://www.uslawshield.com/texas/
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate to break it to you, Scott, but the family of the deceased can still sue your estate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Working on taking my name off everything I own. At 63 why do I need to own anything? Give it to the kids now and be done with it, at least in name.

But this way I will not go to jail and no officer will have to live with having to shoot me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
You'd rather be dead than deal with the hassle of remaining alive? Even if you feel that way about yourself, what about others for whom you care?

Well fortunately, where I live my greatest fear is from damn dogs when I'm walking and shooting them is not reasonable. A stout walking stick usually discourages them.

To answer your question, one, at my age, death is a blessing and two, yes. Losing everything and spending the rest of my life in jail has never interested me for defending my life. Unfortunately, we live in society and culture where the bad guys are the victims and the good guys are the criminals. Here in Montana, a shooting might be considered justified for self defense and probably would be but the civil trial will bankrupt you for life and have you out on the street corner begging for alms. That possibility doesn't interest me.

I have always believed there are things worse than death. If you take a law course dealing with shooting for self defense it will discourage you from defending yourself from much of anything. You see what people go through from defending themselves from Grizzly attack. Multiply that by ten to understand what happens from defending yourself from human attack.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I hate to break it to you, Scott, but the family of the deceased can still sue your estate.

Another reason why I don't carry.

Defending your self is a no win situation.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I don't get the defeatist attitudes. Life is not always easy, but death is a perminent solution to a temporary problem. Tough times do not last forever

Last edited by jwp475; 09/01/12.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We are all going to die of something so who cares. Death early or late doesn't make much difference.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by derby_dude
We are all going to die of something so who cares. Death early or late doesn't make much difference.

Why allow your life to be cut short? Makes no sense to me. Once dead, there is no way back

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And life in prision is better? Watching your family on the street with nothing is better?

If this is 100% true and I have to defend myself or family at the cost of everything for my family I will just take away that option. But I ill NOT be denied my right to defend thos I love.

Think about it. I am acrippled 63 year old. If I am arrested and thrown in jail what are my odds of survival?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A number of years ago I prevented an attack because I had a handgun. It was not necessary for me to shoot my attacker; that I had the upper hand turned out to be sufficient. Looking back at the incident, I was surprised that I had remained cool and kept my wits. Had I not been alert, a few seconds delay could have ended badly for me.

While my possessions aren't worth killing someone over, I will use deadly force to protect my own life or that of an innocent. If dragged to court, due to defending myself or others, I will depend on my own ability and a public defender.

Eternal vigilance.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'll be 62 in January and I will not give up on life. You have already decided the outcome before the fact, never a good mind set IMHO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We don't need much training to know that we will be screwed if we shoot somebody, even if the shooting is justified. Of course, being screwed by the system may be better than the alternative.

I'm better when I move.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Scott F
And life in prision is better? Watching your family on the street with nothing is better?

If this is 100% true and I have to defend myself or family at the cost of everything for my family I will just take away that option. But I ill NOT be denied my right to defend thos I love.

Think about it. I am acrippled 63 year old. If I am arrested and thrown in jail what are my odds of survival?

Life is full of obstacles none of which are insurmountable

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

4. If you shoot somebody, even if you did so in what you think was self-defense, have realistic expectations about what is likely to happen.
a. EXPECT to be arrested and charged.
b. Expect to be handcuffed and taken to jail.
c. Expect a very nasty series of interrogations.
d. Expect to have to hire a good lawyer, and expect to spend the next 1-2 years defending yourself.
e. Expect to have to mortgage your house and liquidate all your assets to pay your legal costs.
f. Expect to lose your guns.

I make less that $1,300 a month. How will I get a good lawyer?

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.