Print Thread
Hop To
H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Snubbie's Thread on Bear meat reminded me tht I need to polish up on the rules pertaining to Colorado Bears before we go on our Elk/Bear Hunt.
I know the whole Bear must be thawed and checked in within 5 Days of the kill (unless that has changed) but, is there anything else im missing? Can anyone direct me to a link on any other Rules or Regs that I may need to be aware of.

I have no experience with Bears, Is the meat worth eating and What parts? Any good tips on meat handling and gutting to preserve the bears skin for a rug or mount. We are doing a backcountry hunt and it may be a day before we can get the packers in and have it in a cooler and then checked. Any good directional sites on Bear prep?

Yes im green and needing some tips. Thanks in advance!

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
You cannot buy a bear license after the start of the season. It keeps folks from shooting one and then going in to town to buy a license.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget evidence of sex and you can't shoot a sow with cubs

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You can't go in a den after one either.

Just present the hide and head. No need for the whole bear.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Bear tag is bought
Dont shoot a Sow with Cubs
No goin n a Den after one:)
Keep Evidence of sex attached
No need to keep the whole bear for check in.

?? What parts are best for eatin if I was wanting to try some? Anyone make sausage or anything out of it?

I will read the site page on Bears again also, all good stuff, thanks fellas!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are successful, put an empty water bottle sideways in the bears mouth right away. The Game and Fish boys will appreciate this, as it makes pulling a tooth a breeze !

Good luck. smile

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Any good sites with directional info on proper skinning for rugs. I have watched a few done on YouTube, just wondering if there's any real dos or that you guys would like to share. I'm taking Salt for the hide. Gona cool it the best I can and salt it down real good.

Can I do the gutless method on a Bear to get the Hide and Meat off? I don't really see a reason not to, just askin.

All the questions are me just trying to be prepared just in case. I have to actually kill first, I know. I'm fairly confident, just trying to see if im missin anything.

Thanks

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No reason you can't use the gutless method.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harv, Like the confidence. I am giving them another run this fall myself. Best of luck. They continue to elude me in the oak brush, but this may be the year.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 30338
Harv, Like the confidence. I am giving them another run this fall myself. Best of luck. They continue to elude me in the oak brush, but this may be the year.

Berries are a good place to find them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I read an article the other day that consuming bear meat is probably the most cause of trichnosis in humans instead of pigs.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Good Luck!! That Oakbrush is THICK Stuff, man it's thick!

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Well with what you said and after reading snubbies thread I believe I will pass and just eat Bacon. Why in the world do we have to pack the meat out in Co then. Wonder if I can get away with a just a couple straps and ham and call it good for the game and fish guys;) jk

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Don't count on that. Backstraps, loins, and the 4 quarters is the minimum you have to take.

H
Harvdog Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I won't. Just kidn around. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 22250rem, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,367
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.