Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll be waiting on a report on that barrel too. I have a Noveske 18" SPR, they kinda started the polygonal rifling in AR's and LaRue and now BHW use it too. Interesting, I know I like mine.

Did they mention what chamber it has in it? Noveske uses a chamber designed for 77gr SMK's or more specificly, Black Hills MK262 ammo.

I'm also curious on the new hand guard, this "system" is supposed to take over the picatinny attachment or at least "improve" it.

My Noveske SPR, lot of similarities...
[Linked Image]

You're hooked.

Last edited by TWR; 08/22/12.
GB1

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Steve, you had any luck with the Sierra 65 grain game king? That bullet over varget is simply amazingly accurate in my Colt 6720. I have 200 more being delivered this week, and want to shoot them at little 150-170 pound White tails in October. Thoughts??

Mr. Dogzapper, I'm very interested in this question for you too. I have some of these loaded and intended for wolves in Idaho, but am considering also using it on deer in October out of my 16" M4 configuration.

As a follow up, I also loaded some 70gr Speer Semi-spitzers for the same purpose. They are both equally accurate. What do you think of these two choices for the 2 game animals I mentioned? Which would you (or any of you) choose? Thanks in advance.

68W

Last edited by 68W; 08/22/12.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 68W

Steve, you had any luck with the Sierra 65 grain game king? That bullet over varget is simply amazingly accurate in my Colt 6720. I have 200 more being delivered this week, and want to shoot them at little 150-170 pound White tails in October. Thoughts??

Mr. Dogzapper, I'm very interested in this question for you too. I have some of these loaded and intended for wolves in Idaho, but am considering also using it on deer in October out of my 16" M4 configuration.

As a follow up, I also loaded some 70gr Speer Semi-spitzers for the same purpose. They are both equally accurate. What do you think of these two choices for the 2 game animals I mentioned? Which would you (or any of you) choose? Thanks in advance.

68W

Hi, 68W,

As you know, I make absolutely no claims to being an AR expert.

Having said that, I've quite succesfully bonked mule deer and prairie goats with the .223. I used my Kimber M-84, quite possibly the most hand engraved and gold-inlayed rifle to leave Kimber of Oregon (serial number: "Steve's .223") to do so. After a lot of thought, I used the 55-grain Spire Point Hornady.

And, to be quite honest, I usually forgot I was shooting a .223 and simply held and shot at the critters like I was carrying my .280 Ackley. They all simply fell to the ground, most sincerely dead.

Just a personal thing, but I am not a Sierra fan on big game. The guys and gals at Sierra are wonderful and they make a fabulous target and varmint bullet, but I've had some problems with them on big game.

The Speer 70-grain would be excellent.

I'd also try the Winchester 64-grain Power Point ... Actually, today, this would be my absolutely first choice for deer and wolf choice in the .223/5.56. And my old standby, the Hornady 55-grain Spire Point, would be super, as well.

Good Luck; and please take a lot of photos of your kills, so you can share them with us.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Steve,

I have used the 60 grain Sierra flatbase on whitetails out of a short barreled youth rifle.

It usually exits on broadside lung shot deer and kills quickly. The wound channel looks like it came from 270 or something similar.

It has been pretty much the same as the 64 grain power point as far as I can tell.

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Hi, 68W,

Having said that, I've quite succesfully bonked mule deer and prairie goats with the .223. I used my Kimber M-84, quite possibly the most hand engraved and gold-inlayed rifle to leave Kimber of Oregon (serial number: "Steve's .223") to do so. After a lot of thought, I used the 55-grain Spire Point Hornady.

And, to be quite honest, I usually forgot I was shooting a .223 and simply held and shot at the critters like I was carrying my .280 Ackley. They all simply fell to the ground, most sincerely dead.

Just a personal thing, but I am not a Sierra fan on big game. The guys and gals at Sierra are wonderful and they make a fabulous target and varmint bullet, but I've had some problems with them on big game.

I'd also try the Winchester 64-grain Power Point ... Actually, today, this would be my absolutely first choice for deer and wolf choice in the .223/5.56. And my old standby, the Hornady 55-grain Spire Point, would be super, as well.

Good Luck; and please take a lot of photos of your kills, so you can share them with us.

God Bless,

Steve

Thank you for the courteous reply.On your recommendation then I will choose the 70gr Speers for my big game endeavors. Having a good deal of respect for your opinion I would like to follow your recommendation on the 64gr and experiment with more options but money is a concern and I have a good number of each of the aforementioned bullets loaded and ready. I did a quick google-fu action and saw that those Winchesters are factory loaded as well as available as a component. I don't have loading equipment of my own so hand-loading is an activity I do with a BIL very infrequently and usually under time constraints, so having the factory option is a good thing to tuck away in my head if/when I run out of these two "premium" loadings. I will zero in these Speers for the wolves and save the Sierras for coyotes and those two-legged predators. I still can't decide if I'm gonna hunt deer with the AR ("new school") or go with the '94 30-30 ("old school").

If I am blessed to have kills I will report. I expect the wolf to be a very challenging hunt. I am going to try and call them in...we'll see. I unfortunately cannot put as much time into hunting these past and coming years as I'd like to (medical students don't have time for much play) but any day hunting is a real boon for the mind and soul, success will just be bonus!

Thanks again Mr. Dogzapper,

68W

PS--I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this: I want to see that Kimber!

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fine rifle you bought there. Your S&W is going to feel lonely.

Steve, next I see a short barreled rifle (SBR) in your future.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hi Steve I have had good luck with the 62 TSX but wanted to try the Sierra this year. Good luck with your rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Dang, I haven't even shot the Noveske (if I may call it that) yet and I truly love the rifle. The Smith TS is fantastic in it's handiness, but the Noveske is a heavier rifle and more appropriate for killing at a distance.

And I love the tight fit of the Noveske. Everything is simply perfect about it. Even the battle sights (are they really worth an extra $225???) are totally cool and come up to the eye fantastically. Wait 'til the LaRue LT-104 scope mount comes and I can mount a Leupold 3.5-10X40 .... this puppy is gonna be perfect.

68W, the 70 Speer will work wonderfully for you. I truly wish I had some 64-grain Power Points hanging around; if I did, I'd surely send you a couple hundred for testing on deer and wolves.

Blessings,

Steve

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Even the battle sights (are they really worth an extra $225???) are totally cool and come up to the eye fantastically. Wait 'til the LaRue LT-104 scope mount comes and I can mount a Leupold 3.5-10X40 .... this puppy is gonna be perfect."

No, they're not but I seem to put them on every rifle I own. They are same plane apeture, which I prefer, they stay solidly in place and are one of the lowest folded sights out there but still, I gasp every time I plunk down the money for open sights...

Oh well, AR's is expensive.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by TWR
"Even the battle sights (are they really worth an extra $225???) are totally cool and come up to the eye fantastically. Wait 'til the LaRue LT-104 scope mount comes and I can mount a Leupold 3.5-10X40 .... this puppy is gonna be perfect."

No, they're not but I seem to put them on every rifle I own. They are same plane apeture, which I prefer, they stay solidly in place and are one of the lowest folded sights out there but still, I gasp every time I plunk down the money for open sights...

Oh well, AR's is expensive.

And aren't they just absolutely GORGEOUS???

Like you, a cool AR simply would not be right without those beautiful sights gracing the receiver and picatinny rib. They are perfect.

The more I stroke that NSR Noveske rail, the more I'm starting to believe that is another "must have" too. The new Noveske rail just feels sooooo right, so light and so very perfect. Dang, I am so happy with this entire rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Blessings to you, my friend,

Steve

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I could not get the 64 grain power points to shoot that well over TAC or Varget. I have about 500 of them left...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Steve:

I had no idea that Noveske was in Grants Pass. It's great to be able to support a local company.

Logger

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 68W

68W

Hi, 68W,

God Bless,

Steve

Very nice rifle!

I went as cheap as I possibly could and bought a CMMG Bargain Bin 16" flattop a year or two back, 623.00 shipped to my FFL. I didn't expect accuracy better than 2" but with 52gr Blitzkings it was easy to shoot .75"-1" five shot groups.

I have an Aero Precision matched upper and lower sitting in the safe to build a rifle more in line with your Noveske. The CMMG will get a flip up rear sight, and the 3x9 will be replaced with 1x4 or dot type sight and it will be used for what it was originally designed.

Anyhow, I read a lot of positive reviews on the 64gr Powerpoint so I bought a 100 with a bulk bullet order and I had terrible luck with the AR and my Stevens. I was not pleased because I wanted to hunt with the last year.

My daughter used the Stevens and a 69gr MK to take a doe at 50 yards or so, the bullet worked great.

The 69's shoot great in both rifles with 9T barrels.

Dave

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

68W, the 70 Speer will work wonderfully for you. I truly wish I had some 64-grain Power Points hanging around; if I did, I'd surely send you a couple hundred for testing on deer and wolves.

Blessings,

Steve

Thank you for the reassurance. Its nice to have confidence when going into such a hunt for such a prized animal as the wolf. That is also a very kind gesture on the power points and I don't doubt that you mean it too. Take care and get that new AR out to the range!

I still want to see the ultra-custom Kimber you referred to!

68W

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by logger
Steve:

I had no idea that Noveske was in Grants Pass. It's great to be able to support a local company.

Logger

Logger,

I'm really, really a newby at this AR stuff, but apparently Noveske is exceedingly well thought of by the AR community.

Is Noveske the best AR? Heck, I don't know, but it is right up there. And in looking at several Noveske rifles and carbines, I'm pretty darned impressed by the quality.

I've also talked to several folks from the Grants Pass area and they all are incredibly impressed with John Noveske and the entire crew at their factory. They have one goal, to make the finest AR rife possible.

Like you, the fact that Noveske is made by Oregon folks makes things even better.

Anyway, Noveske is absolutely good enough for this kid.

Blessings,

Steve

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
There's no rule that says a carbine-length AR can't also be a great scoped shooter. Here's one my newer toys, an R-15 carbine with a Leupy VX-3 3.5-10 X 50. Wouldn't shoot so great with the crappy trigger it came with, but it routinely shoots very tight groups since I dropped in Timney's AR trigger. It's now one of my favorite predator rifles.

[Linked Image]

I bought that same Rem. R-15 you have 2 years ago. Mine has a Leupold 3X9 on it & shoots 1/2" 5-shot MOA groups @ 100yds.
It's my Favorite coyote rifle here in North Texas.

BTW, either y'all got a hell of a lotta rain around San Antonio, or that's an old jpeg. We are dryer than a witch's tit here in northern TX...

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dogzapper -

That rifle is VERY nice!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
dogzapper -

That rifle is VERY nice!

Thanks, my friend.

It was as nice as I knew how to buy. And I might have made a mistake or three. Maybe I'll change things downline, like the barrel or something. For now, however, it will truly suffice.

I truly LOVE it in every way.

Blessings,

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve
When are we going to get a range report on the BHW??

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Oklahoma
Steve
When are we going to get a range report on the BHW??

Soon, my friend, soon.

We've had to clean up our home and do all kinds of crazy stuff the last couple of weeks. A friend of my wife's, a liberal Obama-lover, was coming for a visit to our home. The "lady" was the maid-of-honor at our wedding, over 48 years ago ... she and Karen are going to their 50th High School Reunion.

Also, a fellow 24HCF member has offered to send me a LaRue LT-104 mount to try and probably buy. When I have it, I can mount a 4.5-14 Leupold on that cool rifle and test it correctly.

Anyway, as soon as I can.

Interestingly, I'm hearing more and more good about the Black Hole Barrels and the AR folks & manufacturers who use them.

My totally objective shooting should sort out fact from fiction.

Blessings,

Steve

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (BALLISTIK, Anaconda, 300_savage, Aero, 3dtestify, 6 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,139
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.