Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There's a lot wrong with public education across the board, that's for sure. I highly recommend private or home schooling for your kids in the vast majority of cases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
There's a lot wrong with public education across the board, that's for sure. I highly recommend private or home schooling for your kids in the vast majority of cases.

There are exceptions, some public schools are good, but as far as I can see they are a small minority.

For many parents, the only alternative, if they can afford it is a private school.

People that I know have slowly developed a group of parents who shared their inputs for home schooling, they started from scratch about 12 years ago and it is now clear that the results are outstanding.

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deersmeller

There are exceptions, some public schools are good, but as far as I can see they are a small minority.

For many parents, the only alternative, if they can afford it is a private school.

People that I know have slowly developed a group of parents who shared their inputs for home schooling, they started from scratch about 12 years ago and it is now clear that the results are outstanding.
Agreed. I've been close to home schooling families for years, and the kids are invariably better educated, and far in advance of the kids in public schools. It's not very time consuming for parents, either. Most of the six or seven hours per day kids spend in pubic school is a complete waste of time. One hour of instruction at home is worth more than six or seven spent in public school.

The main function of public schools, as I see it, is to prevent kids from learning valuable trade skills that will allow them, by undercutting prices, to compete with established tradesmen. If they're forced to waste their entire day in an institutional setting, they have no time to develop such skills.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right on!

I met a young man this summer that was a two-time world champion Irish dancer in his age group.

He said he was into competitive swimming, baseball, and paintball in addition to his competitive Irish dancing. Knowing how demanding world class competitive Irish dancing is I asked him how he managed to do all that and go to school. He smiled and said I'm home schooled. A very bright, well mannered, and happy fourteen year old.

If I had kids they would all be home schooled.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been close to home schooling families for years, and the kids are invariably better educated, and far in advance of the kids in public schools. It's not very time consuming for parents, either. Most of the six or seven hours per day kids spend in pubic school is a complete waste of time. One hour of instruction at home is worth more than six or seven spent in public school.

The main function of public schools, as I see it, is to prevent kids from learning valuable trade skills that will allow them, by undercutting prices, to compete with established tradesmen. If they're forced to waste their entire day in an institutional setting, they have no time to develop such skills.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deersmeller

Here is a middle path between homeschooling and a more expensive private school:

http://www.veritasschools.com/

Kids who've graduated from our local Veritas schools have very favorably impressed the professors of out local University, much more so than most of the private schools in the area.

My 14yo just completed Algebra II this summer. We hired one of the Veritas math teachers as a tutor over the summer. She's now in Algebra III in the 10th grade in the local Veritas "campus" (sunday school classrooms at a local church).

Where my daughter attends, every teacher there has a degree in a field related to what they teach, not just an Ed degree.

At the high school level it is like college for kids. They go to lectures and take tests at school but study is self-directed. Obviously, this wouldn't work for a lazy kid. YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I just asked a kid who is in College if he knew what happened on Sept 2 that is of historical significance to the United States, he said he didn't know, then I asked have you ever heard of the USS Missouri? He didn't know what that was, I then asked have you ever heard of a country called The Empire of Japan or the Articles of Surrender, World War II, his answer I am a Music Major! Well with holes in his ears, the only job he is ever going to get with his Music Major degree, is "Do you want fries with that". Sorry state of affairs, even a friend of mind didn't know wanted me to tell him, I told him find out it will take you about 30 seconds on Google and tell me later today. Also on the Same day in 1944 the youngest Naval Aviator was shot down to be rescued at sea by a submarine- Anybody know who the Gentleman is?

Education in this country has become a giant rip off, heck my mom was not happy with it in 1965 and I ended up in private school till college.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

TDC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
gmsemel,
George H.W. Bush

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Here is what should happen to everyone of those knuckleheads. Summarily fired of course, with a forfeiture of their state-provided pension. That would END future problems of that sort.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 09/02/12. Reason: spellin'
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,476
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.