Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
come on Bob you had to know what that was.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob that looks like some high dollar carpeting and finish on that floorboard. What ind of car is it?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I really didn't know or,more accurately,I didn't remember. I started driving in '74 so I guess it had to be on my Ford Fairlane,right?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bob, if that is a clutch pedal to right in photo, might also be a starter switch.

I remember seeing a few of those when I was a kid, and I ain't near as old as TLee, wink.

edit: I remember cars had done away with that type of starter switch in '74. Were still a few old farm trucks that used the starter there.

Last edited by slopshot; 09/03/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T LEE;
Hopefully this finds you and your fine family well sir as this Labor Day winds to a close.

Though it seems like not that long ago, it must be at least 20 years since I've changed out a floor mounted dimmer switch - yet another item to remind me how fast this journey seems to be going. wink

I've had at least one of the column mounted switches apart as well, though for the life of me I can't recall which make of rig it might have been in. As you noted, the job was much less pleasant than replacing the floor mounted units.

Then too, I'd suspect that with an airbag mounted in the steering column nowadays that one would want to be very sure of removing the fuse which supplies power to it before delving too deep into the task. Yet another job that we used to be able to do ourselves and now have to take it to a shop.

Anyway sir, as always I hope you and yours have a grand and safe fall - wherever it takes you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awfully far away from the gas pedal. It was bad enough needing three legs to get started from facing uphill without needing a fourth.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I remember manual chokes too. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
pretty sure the ford would of had one.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Indeed it is probably a high/low dimmer switch.

Although a few Lincolns of the '80's actually had a button there which changed the radio station. Sure was surprising to a young kid in West Texas, when he was doing state inspections, that you kick the switch expecting it to switch high/low beams and instead the radio changes stations. smile

Of course that's highly unlikely. No lawyer would buy a 20 year old car. 40-50 year old car, maybe, but not 20.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob must be a lot younger than he looks if he had to ask that question. wink

I still find myself stomping on that non-existent dimmer switch when I'm trying to flash some douchebag with his brights in my eyes.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll bet that Bob never drove a car with a push button automatic transmission either.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
on some really old trucks that was actually the starter button!

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There is a new law in California mandating all cars go back to the floor mounted dimmer switches. To many blonds getting killed in accidents when they get their heels caught in the steering wheel trying to dim their lights.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It went a long with this gem - the pedal on the far right. You put your heel on the throttle pedal and pushed it with your toe. If you choked it right (did what???), voila' - the car started. I learned to drive with both of those floor pedals.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Though it seems like not that long ago, it must be at least 20 years since I've changed out a floor mounted dimmer switch - yet another item to remind me how fast this journey seems to be going.

My thoughts exactly grin Tho in my case I was getting VW flashbacks, and my brain telling me my left foot still recalls how to operate those things.

I do believe though that a column mounting makes more sense on a manual transmission; cant operate the clutch AND the dimmer switch at the same time, but our hands can do multiple tasks at once.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I'll bet that Bob never drove a car with a push button automatic transmission either.

Nor a fishbowl surrounding the steering column.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
An eject lever. Pull it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you kindly Dwayne, you Sir are a gentleman of the first order indeed.

I too hope you have a great fall and plenty of hunting in the future up in the vast north land above the Medicine Line Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FlaRick

My last truck was push button. Thirteen forward and two in reverse.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slopshot
Bob, if that is a clutch pedal to right in photo, might also be a starter switch.

I remember seeing a few of those when I was a kid, and I ain't near as old as TLee, wink.

edit: I remember cars had done away with that type of starter switch in '74. Were still a few old farm trucks that used the starter there.

Nah, the starter buttons were on the right of the gas pedal and in some Buick's, under it, you floored the gas pedal to engage the starter. Of course the ignition switch was in the dash as well.

Hell, in high school I had access to a '27 Model T Ford with a crank on the front and a gas feed and spark control on the column and foot pedals to shift & brake! Of course it was already and antique by then, some 30 years old!

I actually retro-fitted a few of my cars with hand chokes in the 60's to make em easier to start in northern IL winters.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.