Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My wife has hunted with me for many of our 22 years together. The last several years her neck fusion has bothered her to the point of not wanting to hunt much. Her recent success with a caribou hunt has her fired up to hunt again. She still suffers some from the neck pain though not as much as in past years but heavy or sharp recoil sets her neck pain off.

I am considering putting together a rifle for her that will be adequate for caribou and moose, the primary focus of her hunting. In addition to my left handed rifles, we have a BSA 308 that neither of us are particularly enamored of and a Sedgley Springfield in 30-06. The Sedgley has a steel butt plate and I have no mind to alter it's original state so it's out for her use. She does use the BSA on occasion but like I said neither of us are really sold on it.

I am pondering picking up one of the Husqvarna rifles in 8x57 or 9.3x57, restocking with a nice piece of wood, and adding a recoil reducer like the MAX along with a good recoil pad.

I know there are host of sub 30 calibers that might fill the bill but she hasn't much confidence in anything under 30 caliber. Her long time rifle was a BAR in 30-06 but after her neck surgery she found it to be too heavy to carry for any length of time. The BSA is exceptionally light but with it's muzzle brake is obnoxious to shoot. I lean toward the two I mentioned because they are proven performers that operate at moderate pressures and have mild recoil.

I am blessed to have a wife who likes to hunt with me and wants to rejoin me in the field. I would like to outfit her with a good rifle that she can carry comfortably and not feel under gunned for moose.

We are leaving in the morning for a moose hunt so won't be able to respond for a few days but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mart
My wife has hunted with me for many of our 22 years together. The last several years her neck fusion has bothered her to the point of not wanting to hunt much. Her recent success with a caribou hunt has her fired up to hunt again. She still suffers some from the neck pain though not as much as in past years but heavy or sharp recoil sets her neck pain off.

I am considering putting together a rifle for her that will be adequate for caribou and moose, the primary focus of her hunting. In addition to my left handed rifles, we have a BSA 308 that neither of us are particularly enamored of and a Sedgley Springfield in 30-06. The Sedgley has a steel butt plate and I have no mind to alter it's original state so it's out for her use. She does use the BSA on occasion but like I said neither of us are really sold on it.

I am pondering picking up one of the Husqvarna rifles in 8x57 or 9.3x57, restocking with a nice piece of wood, and adding a recoil reducer like the MAX along with a good recoil pad.

I know there are host of sub 30 calibers that might fill the bill but she hasn't much confidence in anything under 30 caliber. Her long time rifle was a BAR in 30-06 but after her neck surgery she found it to be too heavy to carry for any length of time. The BSA is exceptionally light but with it's muzzle brake is obnoxious to shoot. I lean toward the two I mentioned because they are proven performers that operate at moderate pressures and have mild recoil.

I am blessed to have a wife who likes to hunt with me and wants to rejoin me in the field. I would like to outfit her with a good rifle that she can carry comfortably and not feel under gunned for moose.

We are leaving in the morning for a moose hunt so won't be able to respond for a few days but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mart

The BSA .308 you have sounds like the cat's pajamas if it is light and the stock fits her.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have thought for quite a while now that the 8x57 is a very versatile round, it burns about the same amount of powder as a 308 but pretty much has 30-06 ballistics of the two you listed that would be my choice. The 338 Federal or 358 Win are worthy of being considered too

Gerry.
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
We have both tried to like the BSA because it is a family firearm with considerable sentimental value. However, with it's muzzle brake it is just downright obnoxious to shoot and practice with it becomes a chore rather than an enjoyable activity. Even with the muzzle brake recoil is pretty sharp as it only weighs in at 5 pounds 14 ounces. She really dislikes shooting it. I wish it was a more enjoyable rifle but it is not.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a Remington 600 for my wife and kids in 6mm Rem. With good shot placement and proper bullets it works very well to 200 yards on our Yukon Game. We use 115 Barnes Originals (I still have 300 left) at 2700fps. Think 257 Roberts equivalent. Caribou are easy to kill and honestly so are well hit moose. Grizzly I'd rather have more bullet weight but we don't hunt them.

When the barrel shoots out we'll re-barrel to 6.5x47 Lapua. 130 grain Accu-bonds at 2750fps will take any game with a small powder charge and very low recoil and I think will be the ultimate 5.5 pound small hunters firearm.

I used to use a 358 Norma for everything but after seeing what a well placed smaller bullet will do I don't think over 30 is really needed. 6.5 x 47 or 260 Remington and a bit of discipline will take you all the way.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know she doesn't have much faith in anything under 30 cal. but you might want to do some serious reading on the 6.5x55mm. It has accounted for a number of large animals around the world. It is at it's best with the heavy for the caliber bullets.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Why not a Remington 700 in 308. Inexpensive and accurate, and about as good an all round round, as you'll find. The 8x57 recoils harder than either a 308 or an 06, and so would the 9.3x62 as uses heavier bullets. A 9.3x62 going to be like shooting a 35 whelen. With the Ttsx bullets, you could use the 150s and at most the 165s on Moose, have reasonable recoil and a helluva good killer. The 150s I used in Africa last year shot through everything. Hit a Kudu twice at 275 yds, and first bullet went in the right shoulder and out through the paunch on the left side, and the 2nd one went through the ribs right up against the shoulder, for a double lung shot.. when I was going to go hunting for Elk last year, I loaded 130s in the 308, and got almost 3000 fps from them, equal to a 270 with the same weight bullet, and penetration would be excellent. Didn't see an elk to use them on, but had every confidence in them. When you go up to a 358 or 338F, you're up to heavy bullets again, and more recoil. IMO the 308 as good as it gets.

Ghost
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
.260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7mm08, 7x57. All handle large game very well and are easy to shoot. Just pick a rifle she can be comfortable with, put a Decelerator or Limbsaver pad on, and go hunting.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
She ain't gonna see a decrease in recoil with the 8x57. The 9.3x57 can be fairly gentle but has the trajectory of a rainbow.

I'm with the other boys, something like a 6.5x55 or 7mm08.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
+2 on the 6.5 Creedmoor!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A .338 Federal with 185 TSXs or TTSXs would fit just about all of your criteria.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
One last post before we head out for camp. Regardless of the caliber we chose for her rifle, I intend to incorporate a recoil reducer such as one of the mercury or MAX recoil reducers. I have not had the opportunity to try the MAX reducers. Do they offer anywhere near the recoil reduction they claim (up to 50%)? Thanks for all the replies. Now it's off to moose camp.

Mart

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
I have thought for quite a while now that the 8x57 is a very versatile round, it burns about the same amount of powder as a 308 but pretty much has 30-06 ballistics of the two you listed that would be my choice. The 338 Federal or 358 Win are worthy of being considered too

I'd suggest either of these - great cartridges in a short action. In a long action, I'd suggest the 35 Whelen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think a 6.5 x 55 would fit the bill just fine for her needs. Also I would put a muzzle break on it, while I don't like them because they are loud, they do reduce recoil a good bit, The couple of shots taken on a hunt will not be all that harmful, and there are noise canceling ear muffs now. A break would reduce felt recoil down to a 22-250 or 243.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Once again, I am wondering how many people actually read the original post before responding. She does NOT want anything under .30 caliber, or a muzzle brake.

My suggestion is to trade the BSA .308 off on another, slightly heavier .308 and install the other recoil-reducing stuff.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Mart

Why not go all Steelhead like, & build around a .300 Savage tossing 130 TTSX'S at 2,900+? Low recoil, not sub .30 cal, plenty of smack down, and classic besides.

Or, do the JB thing with a .308. I suppose they could throw
130's, too.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience .308's actually can throw 130's--or even 150's!

And there wouldn't be much in Alaska I'd be afraid to shoot with the right 150....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mart I'd rebarrel the BSA to 338 Federal w/a 21in barrel and shoot the 180-185gr bullets. With the recoil reducer she would be good to go even if cornered by a bear.

Second choice...even though you said you wanted to stay 30 caliber, is to rebarrel to 7mm-08 21in and shoot the 154gr Hornady Interlockt. This bullet is proven on large game up to and including moose, bear, and elk. This would be my choice w/ the recoil reducer as she would be fixed for life. Not much recoil here and a proven killer of large game. powdr

N
ndm Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have a new Remington 700 ADL in .308 Win with the factory synthetic stock and 24 inch barrel. I bought it for a spare/truck gun for $400. It's felt recoil/muzzle blast is closer to my .243, than my 30-06. The new soft pads make a big difference and the longer barrel makes it pretty nice to shoot. I've been shooting the 165 gr. hornady interlock factory load in mine. Find a .308 that fits her with a good soft pad.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
We have both tried to like the BSA because it is a family firearm with considerable sentimental value. However, with it's muzzle brake it is just downright obnoxious to shoot and practice with it becomes a chore rather than an enjoyable activity. Even with the muzzle brake recoil is pretty sharp as it only weighs in at 5 pounds 14 ounces. She really dislikes shooting it. I wish it was a more enjoyable rifle but it is not.

Have you considered rebarreling the rifle or simply having the barrel cut shorter to eliminate the muzzle brake? You could also have a Pachmayr Decelerator butt pad installed.

If altering an heirloom rifle isn't an option a Savage 99 in 300 Savage with a Pachmayer butt pad is a worthy rifle option. An old "grey rat" Savage 99 is not pricey and the recoil is less than a 308 Winchester.

Last edited by idahoguy101; 09/03/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (12344mag, 44mc, 7887mm08, 160user, 1936M71, 18 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,645
Posts18,533,713
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.