Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you're over 40 and don't know what that is,...you need to invest in some Alzheimer's medication.

==================

I'm beginning to think you may be right. Did most every car have it that way during the 70s?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RISJR
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you're over 40 and don't know what that is,...you need to invest in some Alzheimer's medication.

==================

I'm beginning to think you may be right. Did most every car have it that way during the 70s?

yep

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I wouldn't have asked if I knew. In fact,the person who sent that pic to me is a bit older than I am. I wrote him I didn't know but I knew some folks who'd know,for sure.

I know stuff you guys don't know!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I can't remember everything from 35 years ago.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can't remember.

is that the classic Reagan defense maneuver??? grin

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I wouldn't have asked if I knew. In fact,the person who sent that pic to me is a bit older than I am. I wrote him I didn't know but I knew some folks who'd know,for sure.

I know stuff you guys don't know!

The reason you don't know, Bob, is, being from back east, you never got to use the high beams.
And Amen to what you said to Dwayne a few pages back. I wish I had enough equanimity in my life to emulate him. At least that's my excuse for not, and I'm sticking with it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's another one. My 1st car was a '59 Ford Fairlane with a 3-spd column shift. It had this handle hanging under the dash.

[Linked Image]

It had an OD unit bolted to the transmission. It actually acted like a high range as it work in all gears. To use it, you had to have power to the tranny (not coasting, that is). Pull out the lever and let up on the gas. As the power to the tranny let off, it would upshift. Then you were in a higher gear range. For passing, you punched it and it would downshift like an automatic. Let up on the gas and it would upshift again. To take it out of OD, you punched the gas to downshift it and pushed in the handle.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's another one. My 1st car was a '59 Ford Fairlane with a 3-spd column shift. It had this handle hanging under the dash.

[Linked Image]

It had an OD unit bolted to the transmission. It actually acted like a high range as it work in all gears. To use it, you had to have power to the tranny (not coasting, that is). Pull out the lever and let up on the gas. As the power to the tranny let off, it would upshift. Then you were in a higher gear range. For passing, you punched it and it would downshift like an automatic. Let up on the gas and it would upshift again. To take it out of OD, you punched the gas to downshift it and pushed in the handle.

My brother had a '70 Ford pickup with a 390HP and an OD unit like that. Neat system!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by azcoues
on some really old trucks that was actually the starter button!

Had one.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can't remember everything from 35 years ago.

Hmpf, 35 years ago is a breeze....yesterday is the problem.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You really know you're old when you can remember when the starter had a foot push button.
When I first started driving, my uncle had a '55 Dodge half-ton with that type of starter. It was also a "three in the tree" standard.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

You are right, as are the other guys. Didn't know what Bob was up too for sure. It did look like a dimmer switch.

Didn't want Bob to hit the wrong (unknown) switch while in gear by accident and bump that vehicle into denting his Lamborghini. wink

We had an old International(?) Dad called the Powerwagon, IRC.

It did have a starter on the left, high off the floor. When I was ten, my job was using the truck to fill the feed bunks for the cattle. Had to hang on and slide under the steering wheel a little, too reach the starter, legs were too short to reach & start my first year for that job. It was a pretty good balancing act for me to keep the clutch all the way down, and get enough weight on the starter too make contact. Dad made a push pole for the starter out of a old hay fork handle,I kept under the seat. Worked pretty good for me! 2nd year didn't need the start pole anymore. Either my legs got longer, or I had more muscle from the shovel work.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I had an old Mercedes from the 1960's that also had a wiper squirt bulb and wiper switch mounted on the floor near the dimmer switch.

Any of you remember the old VW bugs without gas gauges that had a lever on the floor under the dash for turning on the reserve gas tank?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first car was a '59 VW Beetle. I ran out of gas a few times because I didn't bother to check he gas with the dip stick.
Luckily, they had a small reserve tank for just such occasions. Just flip the switch and head for the nearest gas station.
It had the dimmer switch on the floor too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first car had one youngster. smile

1968 Pontiac LeMans. So did my second car, 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
You really know you're old when you can remember when the starter had a foot push button.
When I first started driving, my uncle had a '55 Dodge half-ton with that type of starter. It was also a "three in the tree" standard.

Mid 80's I bought an all original 58 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton that had the floor starter button, with a granny 4 speed. Used it as a daily driver for well over a year. Shoulda kept that one.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I didn't remember.I started driving in '74 so I guess it had to be on my Ford Fairlane,right?

Mid-stage at this point would be my guess...

Time for a family/internet friends intervention here- those keys need to be pulled before someone gets hurt chief!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I remember having a thing you pushed with your foot that squirted windshield washer from a bag under the hood.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nitrous? Adam

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last truk I owned that had one was a 1984 F350 with the 351MOD in it. The brown beast. Adam

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.