-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I called Boyd's today and spoke with their CS rep but I don't think she totally understood my questions. I asked about their 400-225.
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/CLA-MAUSER-LR-1-BC-LH-PL-UF-p/400-225.htm
I wanted to know if "left" actually meant left hand ejection port, bolt release on the right and safety groove on the left? The stock comes without a bolt cut but I'm worried I'd receive a right hand setup without a bolt cut. Does anyone have experience with this model or know if a LH replacement is available? Thanks

Last edited by SubaruEJ25; 09/04/12.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am going to talk to a stockmaker in Idaho on Friday, he would like to make a pattern for these LH Mausers specifically. He also has about 250 patterns available, many of them "historic" old patterns.

I plan to report on what I find in one of the forums here, I'll get back to this thread and let you know where and what his work is like.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I had Shane Thompson (Soda Springs, ID) turn me a pattern stock for the LH Zastavas. He used a stock I had made for a 35 Whelen as the template:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So the inletting is about 99%, and from the rear action screw the exterior is 99%, but from there on back it is somewhat oversized so that I can have some latitude re cast, toe out, cheekpiece shape, etc.

I would probably engage conversation about renting my pattern stock out, but you would need to give me a deposit equal to what it cost me to have it made ($250).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by utah708

[Linked Image]

Not to hi-jack, but do explain the rear sight set-up and Talley's (?)

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Actually, they are old Warne rather then Talley. The peep sight is a Williams; I notched the bottom of it so that it matches the height of the front sight. I am kinda a bubba gunsmith, but it works for me.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I am going to talk to a stockmaker in Idaho on Friday, he would like to make a pattern for these LH Mausers specifically. He also has about 250 patterns available, many of them "historic" old patterns.

I plan to report on what I find in one of the forums here, I'll get back to this thread and let you know where and what his work is like.

Jim,

any news on your task?

all the best.
Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I posted a couple of different threads in the Custom Rifles forum on this. Mostly about the stockmaker and him making custom patterns for my Model 70 and Ruger 77's.

I decided not to replace the stock on the Zastava for a couple of reasons:
A. The wood is gorgeous and the shape is very functional if somwhat "overdone".
B. IMO the rifle itself is not worth spending a whole bunch of bucks on, but worth working with what came with it.

Mostly A, great wood and a very functional stock.

I took it to a gunsmith to get slimmed and trimmed and was there just yesterday for an interim inspection. He took off the rollover on the cheekpiece but left the monte carlo, sanded off the checkering on the pistol grip, greatly thinned out the forend - drastically thinned would be a better term, and reshaped the forend tip to a nice round profile. He also cleaned up some excess wood around the action so it wasn't so proud of the metal. LOP will be cut down to 13 3/4" from the 14 1/2" it started at and a Pachmayr Decelerator installed. Finally, he is going to replace the walnut grip cap with one of ironwood.

The result maintains the basic shape but gives it a nice sleek look. Hopefully I will have some pics to post of the finished (but still uncheckered) result in 2-3 weeks.

The threads on the stockmaker. I really like this fellow's work.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...sited_a_stockmaker_s_shop_to#Post6851334

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Back_to_the_stockmakers_mak#Post6883012

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ockmaking_Part_III_Decisions#Post6989216

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Chris is making patterns on my LH Zastava mini Mauser and LH Zastava 7 X 57 not done yet. He reduced dimensions and now is making a pattern to duplicate. Same stock maker Jim in Idaho is using.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
will the stock have cast available? drop dimensions if you know?

The way life should be.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Stock is still in ID I am in AK have not seen stock, asked Chris
to reduce outside dimensions overall.

kk alaska

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Chris Schofield at Walnut Grove Gunstocks, trimmed my stocks down, and reshaped them.

Chris also made patterns off of my reshaped stocks, if you want yours duplicated or one made off a blank.
First pic before stock reshaping
[Linked Image]

LH Mini Mauser & LH 7 X 57 crappy cell phone pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/19/12.

kk alaska

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
With a sealer coat no oil yet

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 12/13/12.

kk alaska

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,447
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.