Print Thread
Hop To
M
Miner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Last year, I elk hunted in central Utah in my Vasque boots that I use for backpacking. It snowed on me and I found my feet were cold; not terribly cold but uncomfortable. I thought I'd pick up a pair of insulated boots for this year (of course it probably will not snow and I'll just end up in my Vasques and do just fine).

I was leaning to the lightweight Mendels at Cabela's with 400 gram thinsulate, but the salesman tried real hard to talk me into the 800 gram. The boots are roomy so I figure I could always add an extra pair of socks to either the 400 or the 800.

I guess my question is 400 or 800?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would stick with the 400 and just use a thicker sock, you don't want your feet to start sweating. The problem is that you have to find the proper combo with sock and temp. Go with a good pair of merino wool socks like Darn tough and start there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Darn Tough....easily the best most under rated socks on the market. Also, try wigwam or bridgedale.

800 gram boots are for very cold stand hunting, in my experience. If you are hiking and moving, you'll be good with 400

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
100% wool socks, including the best merino, are a bad idea. That's because they get wet and stay wet. I do much better with Dahlgren socks. They wick moisture away and my feet stay alot drier. Using them, I've hunted in temperature down to and below -20, including hours long glassing sessions after a vigorous climb w/o problems.
Because of them, I no longer use insulated hunting boots. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eremicus, thanks for the tip on Dahlgren socks...alpaca, huh...the chit I learn on the 'fire astounds me. I'm going to pick up a pair or two and try them out!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Smartwool socks work great. I've used their medium weight over calf socks for the past two years, including on a 2nd rifle season elk hunt in CO. My boots failed to keep me dry one day but the socks still kept my feet warm. Can't ask for more. Oh, I have since replaced the boots.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
M
Miner Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Eremicus, I've heard about the Dahlgren socks but never tried them. I'll pick some up and give them a try.

Last year I had on Smartwool socks. I've used Smartwools for years and never had a problem with them. like I said, last year my feet were in the snow all day and were cold. Not miserable, but uncomfortable, and I'm all about comfort.

I ended up picking up a pair of Mendils at Cabelas with 400 gram insulation. That was my original thought but the guy there on Saturday kept trying to talk me into the 800s. I had a pair of 400s a few years ago and they seemed to be great. I even wore them snowshowing and ice fishing with no problem.

Thanks everyone for the input.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
E,
Which Dahlgren sock do you use? Where do you buy them?
Thanks,
Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not answering for E but Sierra Trading Post is where I bought mine. For summer use I prefer the medium but winter time calls for the heavy ones. They work good. I own one pair of insulated boots but they don't see much use.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just ordered a couple pair from alpacadirect (free shipping for orders over $75)...I'm excited to try these on my elk hunt. thnx

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the tip on STP. My 8 pair (4 heavy and 4 medium) plus some merino wool long johns arrived yesterday. They look and feel great, can't wait to try them out. Great prices at Sierra if you don't object to seconds. Just happened to check their site and they had a 25% off promo code available. Made it a great deal. Thanks to Eremicus for the initial recommendation.
Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I can't seem to figure out (maybe my 19 years of education wasn't enough) is if boots are insulated with thinsulate, then why don't they sell a sock made out of thinsulate.

So for example, if I am Meindl, and I make a 400 boot, but I want my customers to be happy, I also offer a 400 thinsulate sock so that my customer can make his 400 boot an 800 boot.

Doesn't that make sense?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Thinsulate won't stand up to the direct pounding, abrasion and wear a sock endures.

It's great if sandwiched between layers that can handle the abrasion, otherwise it would loose it's cohesiveness and separate down to individual fibers.

I'll add +1 to the DArn Tough sock. I've used SmartWool's (over 14 years with 'em), had Dahlgren and Thorlo (which are a great sock as well), but the Darn Tough's are head and shoulder my favorites.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"It's great if sandwiched between layers that can handle the abrasion, otherwise it would loose it's cohesiveness and separate down to individual fibers."

Fine, make a sock that sandwiches it between layers that can handle the abrasion. If they can make someting that holds it in the boot already, shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to make it into a sock. Doesn't sound like rocket science.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.