Print Thread
Hop To
T
Texgun Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have been thinking about trying out one of the new inexpensive rifles like a Stevens 200 or Mossberg ATR. I am leaning toward the Stevens because of the adjustable trigger that I don't think the ATR has that feature.
Can anyone give me some advice?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well, the ATR is still pretty much an unknown, even though there have been many suggestions as to it's lineage. The Stevens, however is based off the Savage m10/110 action, just a cheapened version. While many here will disparage the Savage as cheap and semi-unreliable, it has been in production for many, many years. If I were looking for a cheap, entry-level gun to save myself some coin, the one I'd buy would not say ATR on it.

The Kaiser

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Stevens 200 all the way. Bass pro was selling the steven's 200 fro $199 and their regular price is $249. Some don't like it's looks, but aside from the easily removed mold line in the stock, it looks as good as any of the tupperware stocked rifles. It's pillar bedded, which greatly reduces the problems associated with any flimsy tupperware stock. And the savage 110 platform is as strong and reliable as any bolt gun platform produced today. (Whens the last time you heard of someone pulling the bolt handle off a savage?)

The added kicker with the stevens is that if you can change the oil in your car you have the skills needed to swap the barrel on the Stevens. This means that if you want a non-mainstream caliber like .358 winchester, .257 roberts or 338.06, you dont have to spend an arm and a leg to get there.

Good shooting,
Weagle

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Stevens is 100% Savage 110. That means it is tried and true(in production since 1958-I have a first gen in 25-06). They are tough and the most consistently accurate factory rifle going. They may be a bit on the ugly side for some, but the beauty lies in the reliability and the accuracy. Remember, this is a pre Accutrigger 110 action, so the trigger will need a little adjusting. Most 110 triggers can be adjusted to 3# by the user without issues. If they ever make a lefty version, I will buy a couple of the 200s.
Hope this helps.
Leon

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
With no hesistation I would go get the Stevens 200 hands down. I would not even give any more thought to it. When looking for a less expensive rifle I would definately go with the one that is proven over the long haul and has more reputation that is widely known. Its a Savage.

" The Greatest Reflection of the Kind of Person You Are, can be Given and Answered best by the People who Work for You rather than those You Work For. " --- Brian White

"You are not defined by the way others treat you, but by the way you treat others." --Brian White
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never saw a mossberg ATR until today at the range, a fellow and his son had both got them yesterday for christmas. One a 30-06 and the other a .270. Better looking rifle than the savage/stevens. A plastic stock that is fairly rigid considering and ample freefloat with no contact. Triggerguard is moulded and part of the stock along with the sling attachments. Don't know if the trigger is adjustable but the one I tried wasn't bad probably about 4 lbs or so. Plastic bolt shroud. functiond fine and reasonably smooth feeding. Thing that struck me was that after they sighted them in they fired a few groups with the cheapest ammo they could find on the shelves in town [federal] both of them fired 5 shot groups of about 3/4", I tried the .270 and put in a 5 shot group just a little smaller than theirs. I wish I could say the same for the 2 savages I purchased in the last couple years, they're gone now and if I had to choose between the two I'd give the ATR a chance. i might go and by one just for [bleep] and giggles.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've bought a couple Savages in the last couple years and they're both capable of MOA accuracy, the triggers are a snap to adjust, and there's good aftermarket support for them. Hogue is coming out with their excellent stocks for the Savages this spring.

If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do succeed. ~Curly Howard
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I bought the Stevens after much reading. Haven't shot it yet, but I have heard nothing but good things.
The ATR looks like it might be a good buy, but I have more experience and faith in Savage. Bass Pro has the Stevens for $199.

pepaw

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 580 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,444
Posts18,507,827
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.