Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They were all right in the same narrow, safe range. If they'd started rising, we would have quit shooting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

In fact I'm also regretting ever reporting on this subject, since (once again) most of the people who've ever shot a .243 Winchester or 7mm Remington Magnum seem unwilling to believe lab technicians (obviously skeered of lawyers) know anything they don't.

John,
Don't let the non-believers grind you down. There are some who still think the earth is flat whistle I sent my 7mm rem mag rifle off to the gunsmith. Gave it a quick stab with the 7mm Wby reamer - much better cartridge grin Ran all the 7mm rem mag brass thru a 7mm Wby full length die - a wee short but works just fine. There are many great 7mm cartridges to choose from, 7mm Wby, 7mm Blaser, 7mm Mashburn magnum, 7 WSM, 7mm Dakota, 7mm Boo boo, 7x66 Vom Hofe.

Cheers
J

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

I just started playing with the 7mm Weatherby. Pretty nifty cartridge! I'm pretty experienced with the 7mm-08, 7x57, .280, .280 AI, 7mm Remington Magnum and 7mm STW, but never had popped a cap on the 7mm Roy. I'm very impressed to far!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oddly enough th 7Roy is the Big "A"s favorite for serious hunting....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a 7mm Weatherby in a Weatherby ultra light. Shot the Federal 160 Trohpy Bonded Tipped into about 3/4" at 3200 FPS. Shouldn't have sold that rifle.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's the same model rifle I just started fooling with, so far only factory ammo with 160 AccuBonds and Partitions.

The Partitions are out-shooting the AccuBonds by a little bit in accuracy, and a lot in velocity--but the Weatherby site lists them at very different velocities: 3050 for the AB's, 3200 for the Partitions.

Both loads chronographed right at factory specs. The last 3-shot group I shot with the Partitions was .65.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you get around to loading 168 VLD's in it, and get them to shoot please share!

Aint had a lot of luck with the VLD, but the 162 Amax and 145 LRX are shooting great..Had the 7wby for a few years, but this is the first year i'm gonna use it exclusivly.

Loading mine with retumbo, you can dang near just fill the case right up and seat the bullet without measuring!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought mine from Cabela's and they had a bunch of them in different chamberings. The Cabela's sales guy said Weatherby had sold them to Cabela's as used guns as that they had been used for the Shot Show and gunwriter testing. Mine was unusual in that it was an ultra light and in a B&C stock, but the stock was painted black and looked like the factory B&C paint.

I bought an older stainless barrel Remington 700 in 7mm Rem the other day and don't like the chambering or rifle nearly as well.

I also tried factory Accubonds and Partitions in mine and got advertised velocities with an accuracy edge to the Partitions.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
John,
I seated out the bullets to 88,5 mm coal (magazine was long enough and gunsmith corrected the throat). Best performance I got with 160-175 grain bullets and Norma Mrp.

I wish there was another cartridge, common enough, to substitute the 7RM - preferably without a belt....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It makes no sense that an ordinary cartridge like the 7mm RM should have pressure spikes when, they say, others do not!

Perhaps a reason that a lab found spikes is the particular lot of powder or some other variable?

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I wish there was another cartridge, common enough, to substitute the 7RM - preferably without a belt...."

I share your dislike of belted rifle cartridges. I have loaded them for many decades. It can be done of course but this is all for our enjoyment and I just don't prefer them theory wise.

It's not impossible to get a 7mm WSM. Sure it's difficult but they work and we handload anyway.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Savage 99,

Go back and read the entire thread before you comment. It might help, though I doubt it.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did read it before.

In theory all ordinary cartridges relevant to bore/capacity, should have similar results.

Other conclusions are based on errors somewhere.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You don't know what you're talking about, but that's normal.

First, if you had read the whole thread and understood it, then you wouldn't have used the term "pressure spikes," since that's not what happens.

Second, the wider pressure variations of the 7mm Remington Magnum have been documented thousands of times in different pressure labs. Just because you believe they all screwed up somehow, that doesn't make it so.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Oh, another error with 7mm rem mag, an ugly cartridge with it's short neck - I'm sticking out my Norse neck now but what a heck....Many cartridges needs to be re-designed - 300WM is one of them. I prefer 6XC (works beautifully with Norma 203-B powder) to 243Win any day of the week.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Luckily we have a wide choice these days!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is no mention of pressure variations for the 7mm RM in my Sierra, Speer, NRA and Nosler manuals.

The Sierra manual mentions that the cartridge is a commercial success and had won the Wimbleton Cup 1000 yd match and that US military snipers have rifles so chambered.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Savage99. That type of common sense has no place here. Count me among the thousands of satisfied 7mmRM users who've never had a problem with the 7mmRM. I still maintain any pressure variation too minute for users to notice is a non issue. Also wonder what other similar cartridges would exhibit similar variations had they been studied by ballisticians to the same extent as the 243 or big 7.

Again I'm not questioning the existence of said pressure variations. I question the relevance. For those of us who've used either cartridge happily for long range shooting it's a hard pill to swallow.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Its been decades since the 7mm RM won the Wimbledon. For many years the winners have mostly been much lighter-recoiling 6.5mm cartridges.

It would a strange day when any reloading manual mentioned any small variations in pressures--which is exactly what this thread was about.

Sniping is a poor example of variation, since what snipers want to do is hit a vertical target--and a wound is even better than a kill, since it takes up more of the enemy's energy. Plus, I don't believe any of the U.S. services uses the 7mm RM for sniping these days. It was a brief experiment.

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
John, I must say, I really admire your patient and highly knowledgable way of posting here, I wish I had your forbearance.........

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
JB are stating you don't feel the 7mmRM is a good long range cartridge? While it's no longer used by gov't or competitive shooters, there are several great shooting cartridges that never wore that hat. No? I'd also suggest the lack of competitive interest is based on recoil rather than lack of accuracy.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,724
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.